Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
Yellow Brake and DSC light

Hello Everyone,

I got all my buddies stumped on this one.

I get a yellow DSC (4x4) light and a yellow Brake light when I start up in the cold and it skips. It sounds like the thing is skipping or misfiring and it stalls sometimes also. If I rev the engine up to about 2500 to 3000 rpms it will keep running after it skips. If it is idiling it will stall out. Sometimes the EML light comes on also. Once the car warms up to about operating temp...it runs fine and I have no issues at all.

It only happens when it is cold and I have noticed that the battery light and the oil light flash on and then off once really quick when it skips and the engine keeps running. There is also a clicking sound during the skip in the passenger side dashboard. Eventually if it is cold enough the car will stall out completely and the SES light comes on and it goes into the 800 to 1000 rpm reving stage. It will run rough and stall until it is close to operating temperature.

Would love any advice and I have seen a lot of posts like this...but never any fixing results. Thanks a ton for any help you all can provide.

Scott
Advertisement