Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 02-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 m3 convertible
Car shuts off while driving and more

Less than a month ago I brought my M3 in for the Inspection2 which took all of 2 days. The car ran fine before the inspection and now, maybe it coincidence but all of a sudden the car has a clunking sound when I make full turns left or right. Most notible when moving slow . Feels like I ran over something. Then today the car shuts down while making a slow turn through an intersection (scary). Anybody else hear or have this problem and would the shut down be recorded in the on board computer. Thanks, John
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2010, 02:18 PM
White Mexican

Mein Auto: e90 M3
woah... never heard of this. please keep us posted.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Check and see if they changed the diff oil, if they did there is a SB about the oil to use for cars making noise on tight turns. As far as the shut down , didit only happen once?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
clunking could be failing sway bar links... happens ALLL the time. As for the car shutting off... check the terminals, check the alternator (and battery) at a local auto parts store... check oil, oil pressure etc. Start with simple things and advance as needed.

Or just bring it back. Thats what I would do.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Do you have any codes? Maybe they disconnected the camshaft sensor?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2002 E46 M3
Could be the idle air control valve (IACV). If this little bugger is sticking in the open or closed position then your car will slowly idle down to dead. Putting a load on the engine (ie turning) will exasperate the problem. The engine will start to run rough and then die. The rough running engine could be the noise your hearing.