Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
2001 325i high oil consupmtion question:

Hey all,
Long time lurker here, this is my first topic I believe.
My daily driver is a 2001 325i with 135k miles on it. I'm the second owner, I've owned it since 50k miles, purcased from local BMW dealership 4 yrs ago.
I have been changing the oil around 7500 miles regularly, as well having all regular maintenence and repairs done; car has been very well cared for.

Never noticed significant oil consumption until about 2 months ago. Warning light has been coming on almost once a week, and it always seems I'm about 1/2 quart low...of course I top up, and a week or 2 later the warning light again.
It's a manual, my mileage hasn't changed, I still get 30mpg. I commute on a county road (drive 55-60mph) 350 miles a week, it's a lot of miles but very easy driving.
I'm adding about 1/2 qt of oil, every 10-14 days.

Is this abnormal for a high mileage Bimmer given the miles I'm driving? I am not noticing (and have checked for) leakage from the drain pan, or oil burn from the tailpipe.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sport 6MT
There are few very common sources for leaks. The Valve Cover Gasket, Oil Filter Housing gasket and the CVV. At that mileage those should have all been changed out. With the amount of oil that you seem to be losing and you're location the CVV seems like a very probable cause.

08' E90 335i, Sport, Premium, Logic 7, 6-spd
01' 330i TiAG, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, 5spd - R.I.P 04/12- gone but not forgotten.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_D View Post
There are few very common sources for leaks. The Valve Cover Gasket, Oil Filter Housing gasket and the CVV. At that mileage those should have all been changed out. With the amount of oil that you seem to be losing and you're location the CVV seems like a very probable cause.
All true....and there`s plenty of info on all these things archived here....just use the SEARCH function....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Paraglide! Walk on air!

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Coupe 6MT
Judging by the symptoms, I would guess your CVV (Crankcase Ventilation Valve), or "oil separator" as it's also known, has failed. It's sucking oil from the crankcase into the intake. Check your spark plugs. If any of them seem fouled up with oil, then that's what it is. Replace the CVV and all associated plumbing and you'll be good. And the reason you are not seeing smoke come out from the tail pipe is probably because oil is being burned off in the catalytic converters. You probably should do this ASAP before your catalytic converters are killed too.

2010 335i, ZSP, ZPP, M-Sport, Le Mans Blue, 3 pedals of course!
Heated Seats | USB & iPod | Black Dakota Leather
Cobb AP Stage 1 Aggressive + | Cobb FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust

Previous BMWs:
2001 330i ZSP ZPP 5-speed - sold, but not forgotten.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
Thanks for the quick replies: i'll get in there this weekend or sooner and report back.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: E46 320i Tourer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togatown22 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies: i'll get in there this weekend or sooner and report back.
How did you get on? I have exactly the same symptoms with my 320i E46 Tourer
Old 03-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefull View Post
1. Read Post #3

2. Lather

3. Rinse

4. Repeat

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefull View Post
Welcome! Typically when you don't see an answer, it means that the problem has been solved. Would be nice if op posted back, but usually does not happen. Sounds like you might need to change your CCV valve as well. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Welcome! Typically when you don't see an answer, it means that the problem has been solved. Would be nice if op posted back, but usually does not happen. Sounds like you might need to change your CCV valve as well. Good luck!
Also, most people don`t run right out and get the repair done within 48 hours of their initial post....(unless it`s an emergency situation)

Old 03-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Also, most people don`t run right out and get the repair done within 48 hours of their initial post....(unless it`s an emergency situation)
Oh come on Bob, you know you would have that puppy repaired in 24 hrs! LOL If my cat converters were at risk, I would too.