Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to Abuja_325i
Mein Auto: just bought 530i 2004
DISA noise & Blue-ish Tail-pipe smoke....?

Hello All, good to be back in the forum.
I know many of you pros and some Amatuers are sick & tired of issues relating to the DISA and smoke problems. I've search the forum using the 2 keywords and I found SOME info that to my problem have no bearing.

Here is my problem:
1-Blue/white smoke emanating from the exhaust pipe
2-Sound from around under the Intake manifold (side connected to the DISA & MAF).

for 2:
from post on forums, the only thing that to me makes sense is "repairing" my DISA (AKA cleaning it maybe)....
for 3:
Don't have cracked cylinder/all valves & seals have been replaced/ all manner of gaskets replaced & the Air Regulater/Lifter (pic attached). I didn't do this because I felt like it but I had a serious OVER-HEATING problem whcih affected the engine.

I am frustrated to hell and between all the meks I've passed thru (some bmw meks who did work for me "on the side") I'm stompped & honestly I'd like to have an experience non-nigerian mek look at it but unfortunately we dont have them hear in abuja.

So, any.....& I mean...ANY help on these 2 problems would be greatly appreciated.

a tired bimmerfest-er....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crankcase ventilation - $52.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	221589  

'04 530i (Black)
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 AM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Your oil separator has probably failed, sorry to say. The DISA does not cause blue smoke out the exhaust.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
replace your oil separator valve and hoses.... and replace your DISA as well, if its visibly broken when you pull it out. otherwise, you should reseal it
Old 03-15-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
replace your oil separator valve and hoses.... and replace your DISA as well, if its visibly broken when you pull it out. otherwise, you should reseal it
Hi. Thanks for your input. ut I've replaced my Oil Separator twice already, the last time a day before I started seeing the smoke.
As for the DISA, can you show/tell me how to re-seal it?

'04 530i (Black)
Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Update !!

Hi guys. This is in relation to the blue smoke from tail-pipe problem.

Well, 2gether with my mek, we've narrowed down the actual problem to the Oil Separator aka crankcase vent valve aka oil lifter, and particularly to the "diphram" inside it. After opening up the side that has the Dia (which is made of this orange round rubbery thing), we found out that the edge of the rubber is torn (so there is no "sealing" effect). It also contributed to the loud noise I had mentioned, and nothing to do with the DISA.

Now, I'm gonna try something here. I'm gonna repair the diaphram using another one that is also bad (from 1 of the 2 oil separators I'd already bought) and PATCH up the side that is torn.....HOPING IT'LL WORK !!!....

Now, if someone has already tried this and succeeded OR NOt , i'd like to hear from you.
if it's the 1st time anyone has tried it, I'll brief you of the results..... either which way I'm going for it...damn the consequences. ....

wish me luck

'04 530i (Black)