Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750LI
Tire and rim insurance

Has anyone purchased tire and wheel insurance with their car. I am considering just tire insurance for the run flat as replacing those can be expensive.

The dealer wanted to sell me a policy for $899, after reading the small print it does not cover curb damage to the tire or rims also, they only replace the rim if it is beyond repair.

Any views or suggestions on a suitable policy??

Regards,

Proud owner of new 750 LI
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750iL
Before you waste your money be sure to read the tire warranties. Most of the manufacturers of run flat tires have at least a 1-year full-replacement warranty including road hazzard. The dealer wont' tell you much about these. Some manufacturers extend this warranty pro-rated after the first year. My recollection is that Pirelli and Dunlop had better warranties and Continental's was okay but not great. These warranties can be found on each manufacturers website.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will check the websites

Thanks again
Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLPhelps View Post
Before you waste your money be sure to read the tire warranties. Most of the manufacturers of run flat tires have at least a 1-year full-replacement warranty including road hazzard. The dealer wont' tell you much about these. Some manufacturers extend this warranty pro-rated after the first year. My recollection is that Pirelli and Dunlop had better warranties and Continental's was okay but not great. These warranties can be found on each manufacturers website.
For everyone's benefit i checked the Pirelli website and unfortunately road hazard is not covered.

see below..

What Is Not Covered By The Warranty?

* P-Metric tires used on commercial vehicles or used in commercial applications.
* Tires transferred from the vehicle on which they were originally installed.
* Tires on any vehicle registered and normally operated outside the United States of America or Canada.
* Tires which have been recapped, or retreaded, or regrooved.
* Tires used in racing or other competitive events.
* Tires improperly repaired or with repairs not conforming to Rubber Manufacturers Association standards, or with section repairs, or with self-vulcanizing plug only.
* Tires which have been modified by the addition or removal of material or any tire intentionally altered to change its appearance.
* Tires injected with liquid balancer or sealant or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium.
* Tires with weather cracking which were purchased more than four years prior to presentation for adjustment (If no proof of purchase date is available, tires manufactured four or more years prior to presentation for adjustment).
* Tire unserviceability caused by tire operation in excess of tire/wheel manufacturers' specifications and recommendations.
* Ride related anomalies after the first 2/32" of treadwear.
* Tires which are mis-applied due to insufficient speed rating, or undersized, or oversized tires.
* Tires which become unserviceable because of a mechanical irregularity in the vehicle such as misalignment, defective brakes, defective shock absorbers, or improper rims.
* Tires damaged by fire, chemical corrosion, vandalism, wrecks, chains, theft, run while flat, underinflated, overinflated, or abused during servicing.
* Flat Spotting caused by improper transport or storage.
* Tires which become unserviceable because of road hazard injuries (e.g., nails, glass, metal objects) or other penetrations or snags, bruises or impact damage.
* Tires damaged from improper mounting practices.
* Tire dealer/retailer services (e.g., mounting, dismounting, balancing, tire rotation, or wheel alignment).
* Mileage warranty is not applicable to tires fitted as Original Equipment.
* Tires removed in pairs or sets where no abnormality exists in multiple tires.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: '05 530i
Tire & Rim Insurance

For what it's worth, I just bought an 09 750Li (new) to replace my 05 5 Series with performance package. I hate the run-flats, but my wife wants them--it's her car and they were already on it.

At any rate, on my 05 we'd get about 25,000 miles on each set and they got real noisey about 5000 before I replace them. We went thru 3 sets on the 5 series. Not a one would've qualified for warranty replacement. Now here's the great part. Of the 12 tires--4new on the car, and 2 replacement sets, I only paid for 2 tires. BMW bought the rest and I had no tire warranty.

I doubt I'll be as lucky this time around, but I did not buy the warranty!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
For what it's worth, I just bought an 09 750Li (new) to replace my 05 5 Series with performance package. I hate the run-flats, but my wife wants them--it's her car and they were already on it.

At any rate, on my 05 we'd get about 25,000 miles on each set and they got real noisey about 5000 before I replace them. We went thru 3 sets on the 5 series. Not a one would've qualified for warranty replacement. Now here's the great part. Of the 12 tires--4new on the car, and 2 replacement sets, I only paid for 2 tires. BMW bought the rest and I had no tire warranty.

I doubt I'll be as lucky this time around, but I did not buy the warranty!
Thanks for your input.

Can you elaborate how you managed to get BMW to pay for the other tires?

thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 740IL
I had my rims and tires replaced when I wrecked mine and they paid me full value for the two tires and rims which were over a grand . But everything i've done to mine has extra insurance and believe me i'm glad I did when I went out and done something stupid. Insurance paid over 18,000.00 for this car you see in the pic except the rims were different . So what i'm saying if you have a extra money to do it I would. Check with ins. company some may not . I work with american family ins. nothing bad to say about them except i didnt get another 4 grand from them.....lol
Old 02-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Yes, depending on what insurance company you have and the type of coverage you have it is definitely possible to get your wheels and tires covered under your policy. I actually have a couple BMW clients that recently had theirs replaced.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: '05 530i
ZedJes--with regard to all my free tires, here's the lowdown. First, the dealership I frequent has the greatest service dept going. When we brought our 5 Series in for the 15,000 first service, they checked over the car and didn't like the wear pattern of the tires (these were the performance package tires--very low profile). When we picked up the car, it had new tires on it!

Next, at around 35,000 we had a flat tire indication, but the tire looked fine. As we were going on a 300 mile road trip in two days, I asked the Ser Dept to take a look at it. They did and pronounced it ready to go. We left on the trip and about 100 miles into the trip, we got another flat tire indication. It was raining and I got out of the car to check the tire. Again, it appeared okay, so I drove the rest of the trip on it. I had the GPS program us into the BMW dealership at our destination. They checked the tires and told me I had ruined the one indicating flat by driving 200 miles on it. I said fine, put two new tires on the front and move the fronts to the back. They did--for $1000. When I got back, I told the dealership how the tire fix they had done had gone. The Zone rep happened to be there, and I asked to talk to him. When I told hime the story, he didn't hesitate. He said he'd buy the other two tires, so I'd have all four new. I said, 'I accept!' The next time I needed tires, I bought a 7 Series. Now I can worry about getting the tires on that vehicle.

All-in-all, I'm a pretty happy BMW customer, and it's due to BMW's committment to customer satisfaction--bith at the local level and corporately.