Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
It's really true. You can find a link to anything on the internet

Funf Dreisig

I've been thinking I might get this:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...b8540a177f571e

With this mod I figure the BMW recommended oil change interval will be fine, and I won't have to do any intermediate oil changes.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I've been thinking I might get this:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...b8540a177f571e

With this mod I figure the BMW recommended oil change interval will be fine, and I won't have to do any intermediate oil changes.
It gets great reviews, too!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
This item should be required apparel for this thread...

Funf Dreisig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Check Engine.png
Views:	84
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	217405  
Old 02-06-2010, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I liked the cross drilled brake lines!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I agree 100%. It is pointless to say you have a check engine light and ask what's wrong.

Here's the general codes which could light the check engine light:

http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/Pcodes.shtml

And here's the BMW Specific list of what the check engine light might mean:

http://www.myscantool.com/dtc/specific/bmw.html

And there are a few more for BMW's that aren't listed. Any of those in either of the two lists can make the CEL light up.
What OBD II code reader will work for my 2010 X5d, the CEL is on and dealer says it is transmission fault. I plan to buy a reader to self check first.

Peake reader does not support any product that support 2010. I'm looking at Actron. They have more than one model, which one is appropriate?

I find some readers from amazon, they do not work with CAN.( the pricing range $40-$60) Do I need the reader that supports CAN?($110-$200)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35D
Wow - we are having the exact same problems that all of the above BMW owners are having... check engine light repeatedly coming on. very frustrating! I just purchased the X5 35d 2013 new from the dealership in Kelowna BC Canada. They have been good in looking after us while they try to figure out what the problems are. It has been in the shop 3 times now. the mass air flow sensor has been changed, the ERG valve has been changed the ERG cooler was found to be leaking coolant and that has been replaced. We just got it back and the light is on again... painful! I have asked for the codes to be provided and to date they have not provided them. I am going to write them an email now and firmly request the codes again. We are awaiting a part from Germany that will take 3 weeks... hopefully that solves the problem - but the service manager has admitted that they do not specifically know what the issue is... does not instill any amount of confidence at all. We (as have all of you) spent a fortune on the vehicle that has been an absolute nightmare. At one point the dealership had put more miles on the vehicle than we had. During their test driving / troubleshooting they put 300 km on the X5 in a week... I will get the codes and post them here for any help that you guys can provide.

thanks - Wayne
Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
BTW if you are seriously cheap, just take your X5 to the nearest AutoZone and have them read the codes for FREE. Without the 'codes' you are at the mercy of the dealer and what they tell you is the problem with your X5.
I disagree with highlighted! Can we call it "econimically sensible"? Agree with the rest though.
I had a CEL at 49,980 miles, and while waiting for dealer appointment, took it to AutoZone to read the code, and then read about the code on the internetz.
By the time my vehicle got to the dealer, I had rough ideas about possible root causes, so they couldn't BS me.
In the end, pre and post CAT NoX sensors were replaced free of charge (under emissions warranty), along with free loaner and car wash.

My recommendation is to invest a few hours to read about the problem, which will pay off in not having to return to the dealership several times.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
The CEL on my 2010 X5d came on repeatedly, code was 4D16, replacing both front and rear NOx sensors took care of the problem. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemor View Post
! I have asked for the codes to be provided and to date they have not provided them. I am going to write them an email now and firmly request the codes again.
Sorry to hear of your issues, but a firm email may not do it.

When you pick up your car, is there a sheaf of papers with the document they have you sign, that they retain?

Just take it and walk out.

Make a copy. ANd tell them they will get the originals back when they give you copies of the earlier codes.

I will simply NOT get dicked around when someone plays games. Understand that you may need to take a socially uncomfrotable position (ie not a firm email, but a yelling at the SA or a very direct conversation with their boss).

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
^^ Agreed.
Some SA's are like children; it takes raising your voice to get their attention. In loud and clear voice, to make sure other customers and the manager hears, say something like this:
#1. Sir, the vehicle is my property
#2. All codes are stored in vehicle's computer
#3. As the owner of this vehicle, I demand you print the codes and their descriptions and hand the papers over to me. Now!