Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Dinan-Powered

Mein Auto: Dinan-Powered E92
ED Itinerary for a Track Junky

I'm expecting to travel early May and would appreciate any suggestions you folks may have regarding my itinerary. I am planning my trip around two days at the Nurburgring Track "The Ring". Unfortunately, the open track days fall on day 5-6.

Day 1: Arrive in Munich in the AM head directly to Welt for the factory tour and delivery @ 3pm. I plan on heading to Salzburg for the night. I want to see the Eagle's Nest and Salzburg Raceway.

Day 2: Salzburg to Fussen.

Day 3: Fussen to Interlacken. I would appreciate any input on this leg of my journey. How is the drive over? Is it too much for a one day trip? I do love driving mountain passes.

Day 4: Interlacken to Nurburgring with maybe a mid point stop over to split the day.

Day 5: The Ring

Day 6: The Ring, leave in the afternoon in the direction of Munich. Any suggestions for a midpoint stop?

Day 7: Open. I thought I could travel thru Frankfurt --> Nurnburg --> Eichstatt. Maybe stay the night.

Day 8: Munich, drop car off in the afternoon.

Day 9: Fly out in the AM.

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 AM
7th Round Draft Pick

Mein Auto: RWD sedan
To me the real question on this itinerary - what model of car are you getting? If you're a track junky it had better be an M car imho.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Dinan-Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucla95 View Post
To me the real question on this itinerary - what model of car are you getting? If you're a track junky it had better be an M car imho.

M3 Competition.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyg View Post
Day 1: Arrive in Munich in the AM head directly to Welt for the factory tour and delivery @ 3pm. I plan on heading to Salzburg for the night. I want to see the Eagle's Nest and Salzburg Raceway.
It doesn´t really sound like you are allowing sufficient time here for delivery (2 hrs) and a tour (2 hrs) before your drive. I´m not sure what time the tours are but it sounds as if you are double booking yourself.

Quote:

Day 6: The Ring, leave in the afternoon in the direction of Munich. Any suggestions for a midpoint stop?

Heidelberg.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 03-19-2010, 01:19 PM
'Fest Advisor

Mein Auto: BMWs and other fine cars
I've always wanted to track a car at Nurburgring. However, is it a good idea to track the car 4 days after picking it up? It seems like it will be hardly broken in.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Dinan-Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
It doesn´t really sound like you are allowing sufficient time here for delivery (2 hrs) and a tour (2 hrs) before your drive. I´m not sure what time the tours are but it sounds as if you are double booking yourself.

Heidelberg.

I'll be at Welt by 8-9am tour starts at 11am-1:30pm (I was told), then delivery at 3pm. I should be on my way to Salzberg by 600pm.

Thanks for the Heidelberg suggestion.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Dinan-Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I've always wanted to track a car at Nurburgring. However, is it a good idea to track the car 4 days after picking it up? It seems like it will be hardly broken in.

Really depends haw many miles rather than days. Regardless, I am not tracking my M3.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
7th Round Draft Pick

Quote:
I'll be out on the 'Ring, but only after my 1200 miles M service visit. Then why not? It's a racecar after all.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 328i, '10 Audi A4
Quote:

Day 3: Fussen to Interlacken. I would appreciate any input on this leg of my journey. How is the drive over? Is it too much for a one day trip? I do love driving mountain passes.
Swiss cut through the mountains mostly...so tunnels, lots of looooong tunnels, not passes
ED2007 - MY07 328i SparklingGraphite/Blk, ZSP, 6MT, 6FL 06/01/07, re-delivered 07/23/07
2007 X3si
2004 325i
Old 03-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Quote:
I'm expecting to travel early May and would appreciate any suggestions you folks may have regarding my itinerary....

Note the following from the Kehlsteinhaus "official" website:

The Eagles Nest and the Eagles Nest road is closed.

Reopening middle of may.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Dinan-Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_fam View Post
Swiss cut through the mountains mostly...so tunnels, lots of looooong tunnels, not passes
I hope to take some of the more scenic routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
Note the following from the Kehlsteinhaus "official" website:

The Eagles Nest and the Eagles Nest road is closed.

Reopening middle of may.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:31 PM
'Fest Advisor

Mein Auto: BMWs and other fine cars
Quote:
I'll be out on the 'Ring, but only after my 1200 miles M service visit. Then why not? It's a racecar after all.
Sure, if you've passed the 1000 mile mark
Old 03-19-2010, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: F10, 997C2S, 951
If possible, I'd see if you can fit in Spa-Francorchamps in your itinerary. It's only an hour and a half or so from the 'Ring, and it's definitely another one of the "greats."
Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 PM
7th Round Draft Pick

Spa is open to cars on a Baptism day on May 11 I believe.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Curios as to why you would want to back peddle to Munich. If you really like to drive, why not keep driving to un-explorered territory??

Driving back to Munich just seems a bit silly to me when you can fly out of CDG or FRA.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: M-Sport128i 328xiT 3.0CS
Quote:
Day 4: Interlacken to Nurburgring with maybe a mid point stop over to split the day.
You could stop at the Hockenheimring on the way.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Mike in Cincinnati

Mein Auto: 2011 335i 'vert ELF DREI
Interlaken, huh? Check out http://www.hangglidinginterlaken.com/

I have a 3 May delivery and thought this would be a blast, but my traveling companion has no interest. Maybe he can just take pictures!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Dinan-Powered

Quote:
Sure, if you've passed the 1000 mile mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuenfer View Post
If possible, I'd see if you can fit in Spa-Francorchamps in your itinerary. It's only an hour and a half or so from the 'Ring, and it's definitely another one of the "greats."
Thank you, I've added it as a destination but I need to figure out time issues. Seems like a quick enough drive.

Quote:
That would work perfectly for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
Curios as to why you would want to back peddle to Munich. If you really like to drive, why not keep driving to un-explorered territory??

Driving back to Munich just seems a bit silly to me when you can fly out of CDG or FRA.
I got a terrific deal on my airline tickets that require me to fly to and from Munich. Ideally I would have preferred to fly out of another destination. I had to compromise to keep business class tickets vs coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthompson View Post
You could stop at the Hockenheimring on the way.
Thank you, I've never heard of this track but looks like a great destination on the way back from The Ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinoh View Post
Interlaken, huh? Check out http://www.hangglidinginterlaken.com/

I have a 3 May delivery and thought this would be a blast, but my traveling companion has no interest. Maybe he can just take pictures!
Great link, thank you.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Day 2: Salzburg to Fussen.

You can do a LOT of great passes and roads in between, especially if you drop Fussen from the itinerary.

So your Days 2 and 3 would like more like this:
Salzburg -> Merano (via Jaufen)

(Spend night in Bormio after Stelvio, or Merano before Stelvio)

Merano -> St. Moritz (via Stelvio)
St. Moritz -> Interlaken (there are a few passes you can hit in between, but for some reason Google maps won't let me drag the route on them - consult a good paper map, or maybe viamichelin.com)

Quote:
When coming out of Switzerland, you could take B500 through the Black Forest.

Quote:
Day 5: The Ring

Stuttgart, Porsche Museum. If nothing else, just to see the kind of looks you get when you show up in an M3.

The only problem is that many of the Alpine passes can very well be closed until late May or even beginning of June. Which would restrict you to Autobahn-type of roads (and the B500 through the black forest should be open, it's not that high up).

Are you renting a car at the Ring?

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE

Last edited by adc; 03-22-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: F10, 997C2S, 951
Quote:
As an aside, would you happen to know if Spa is open for track days in late July or early August? Their website didn't seem to list all of the available days.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Okay... since you must travel roundtrip to Munich, you need to add the fellowing stop if you are indeed a "Track Junkie"

Prices:
It costs 3 Euros to enter.
12 Euros to drive for 15 Minutes on the Track. (this was the price back in 2005, so it may be a bit more now)

Summertime:
Thursdays, from 17:30PM - 20:00PM.

for more info:

http://www.hockenheimring.net/

Other Stuff:
The max. Limit of cars on the Track are 40.

You are not allowed to drive during Snow or Ice. ( no $hit sherlock)

Keep in mind that the Hockenheim Ring is NOT a public road as is the case with Nordschlief. If you are dumb enough to wreck your car, your ED insurance will not cover it. Not a big deal for a track experienced driver

For more Information call 06205 / 950-150 or 06205 / 950-212.

Last edited by beewang; 03-23-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Dinan-Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
You can do a LOT of great passes and roads in between, especially if you drop Fussen from the itinerary.

So your Days 2 and 3 would like more like this:
Salzburg -> Merano (via Jaufen)

(Spend night in Bormio after Stelvio, or Merano before Stelvio)

Merano -> St. Moritz (via Stelvio)
St. Moritz -> Interlaken (there are a few passes you can hit in between, but for some reason Google maps won't let me drag the route on them - consult a good paper map, or maybe viamichelin.com)

When coming out of Switzerland, you could take B500 through the Black Forest.

Stuttgart, Porsche Museum. If nothing else, just to see the kind of looks you get when you show up in an M3.

The only problem is that many of the Alpine passes can very well be closed until late May or even beginning of June. Which would restrict you to Autobahn-type of roads (and the B500 through the black forest should be open, it's not that high up).

Are you renting a car at the Ring?

I am renting a car at the Ring and may drive my M depending on the conditions. I am a bit concerned many of the alpine passes may be closed in early May, so I've decided to hit the ones I know will be open. I plan on hitting the Porsche and Merc Museunm on the way back to Munich. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
Okay... since you must travel roundtrip to Munich, you need to add the fellowing stop if you are indeed a "Track Junkie"

Prices:
It costs 3 Euros to enter.
12 Euros to drive for 15 Minutes on the Track. (this was the price back in 2005, so it may be a bit more now)

Summertime:
Thursdays, from 17:30PM - 20:00PM.

for more info:

http://www.hockenheimring.net/

Other Stuff:
The max. Limit of cars on the Track are 40.

You are not allowed to drive during Snow or Ice. ( no $hit sherlock)

Keep in mind that the Hockenheim Ring is NOT a public road as is the case with Nordschlief. If you are dumb enough to wreck your car, your ED insurance will not cover it. Not a big deal for a track experienced driver

For more Information call 06205 / 950-150 or 06205 / 950-212.
Good info, thank you.