Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
e46 325i HU turns itself off after 20 min

Hi,
I recently purchased a used 2003 325i and I think someone has wired the HU and ipod interface incorrectly. This is the factory HU and BMW ipod adapter. There are 2 main symptoms.
1. HU turns itself off after 20 min while driving. I can turn it right back on and it picks up where it left off. It doesn't matter which mode is selected; it turns off every time.
2. The HU does not turn off with the ignition.
Does someone have a proper wiring diagram or ipod adapter install instructions that I can reference?
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.lamers View Post
Hi,
I recently purchased a used 2003 325i and I think someone has wired the HU and ipod interface incorrectly. This is the factory HU and BMW ipod adapter. There are 2 main symptoms.
1. HU turns itself off after 20 min while driving. I can turn it right back on and it picks up where it left off. It doesn't matter which mode is selected; it turns off every time.
2. The HU does not turn off with the ignition.
Does someone have a proper wiring diagram or ipod adapter install instructions that I can reference?
Thanks
It seems to me that the ACC line into that OEM HU has been replaced by a constant 12V line... that will explain the 20 minute shut off (that's a feature and not a fault, you can play the radio without a key for those 20 minutes), and why the HU does not turn off with ignition: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/26961

I would pay attention to the way pin 5, the ACC line in your OEM main radio harness is connected to the OEM iPod adapter.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
It was a fuse

Turns out that a fuse was blown that recognized whether the car had the key in the ignition. It was working like the car was off at all times.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.lamers View Post
Turns out that a fuse was blown that recognized whether the car had the key in the ignition. It was working like the car was off at all times.
What fuse # would that be?

edit: N/M is fuse 7.... if fuse 7 is out the radio wil be turning off every 20 min. and it won't shut off when you turn the car off

Last edited by Icemanleo; 03-28-2010 at 09:28 PM.