Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)
The BMW X6 luxury crossover went on sale in April 2008 as a 2009 model year. BMW referes to the X6 as a Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) as it combines the attributes of an SUV (high ground clearance, xDrive and all-weather ability) with the stance, styling and roof line shape of a coupe. The E71 X6 was built off the E70 X5 (2007 - 2013) platform at BMW's Spartanburg, SC plant. Total worldwide sales were just over 235,000, sold mostly to the BRIC countries. US total sales was 34,082 vehicles.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X6 35i, 2011 RRS
Dogs and the X6

I'm considering the X6, but am concerned with the practicality of transporting my pups in the back. It's not something I do all that often, as I have an older beater SUV that is usually relegated to anything dog-related, but I'd like to have the option. I have a 60# Golden Retriever and a 40# Springer Spaniel. I've never seen an X6 in stock at my (only) local BMW dealer, so I can't go check one out without a driving to another city.

I'm pretty sure that they would not be able to jump into back as the lift-gate looks to be pretty high. That's ok as I currently have to lift both into my current dog-mobile due to their age and general neuroticism. My biggest concern is with the sloping rear-end - will they be able to stand in the back without the rear seats folded down?

What about dog-guards and accessories - I know I've seen these somewhere for the X5 - will they also work on the X6?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Kevin
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X6 xDrive50i
Weathertech makes both a pet barrier and a ramp designed for use by dogs. I've not seen either in person, but the barrier looks like it would do the job. The ramp is pretty expensive - I think it would only make sense if you were physically incapable of lifting the dog.

http://www.weathertech.com/

I think the bigger concern is the ability to stand up back there if they want to. Clearly the sloping back will prevent them from facing rearward. Also, the folded-down seats are not totally flat. From my experience, I'd guess there's enough room (we have boxers which are not quite as large as the Golden Retriever), but it depends on your dogs' attitudes. Mine generally like to lay down and relax after the first couple minutes in a car.