Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
The New BMW Z4 GT3 Race Car - 4.0 Liter V8 Power

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

The BMW Z4 GT3, which was officially launched and completed its first test drives at the start of March, is already enjoying great popularity among BMW Motorsport customers. The first cars have been delivered to private BMW teams, who will prepare them for use in various national and international championships.

The feedback on the BMW Z4 GT3 is extremely positive, says BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen. This sports car rounds off our product range, and offers drivers and teams the opportunity to compete in championships in accordance with the GT3 regulations such as the FIA GT3 European Championship, the International GT Open or the ADAC GT Masters as well as at 24-hour endurance races. In addition, the BMW M3 GT2, the BMW 320si WTCC, which complies with Super2000 regulations, and the close-to-production BMW M3 GT4 are also available to customer teams from all over the world at BMW Motorsport Distribution.

The production model of the BMW Z4 is already impressive: with its elongated bonnet, flared wheel arches, long wheel base and narrow projections, the car boasts an unmistakable appearance. The two-seater provided BMW Motorsport engineers with a good basis for developing a close-to-production GT3 racing car.

The largest difference between production and racing car can be found under the bonnet: while the production version of the BMW Z4 is driven by a six-cylinder engine, the GT3 car is powered by a 4.0-litre eight-cylinder engine similar to the unit used in the BMW M3 GT2. This powerful heart produces over 480 bhp. Its excellent performance characteristics and good torque curve make the base engine from the production version of the BMW M3 predestined for use in motorsport.

The fitting of the V8 engine had a considerable influence on the development of the BMW Z4 GT3. Initially, design-space examinations were performed using CATIA V5 design software, in order to place the engine in the ideal position and meet racing specifications. The engineers then added all the other components.

When it comes to electronics, the private teams can look forward to innovative BMW solutions, which have already been tried and tested on the BMW M3 GT2: the modern ECU408 takes over the engine management, while the Power400 electronic control unit is responsible for controlling all the actuators. The power is transmitted through a six-speed, sequential gearbox with Quick Shift function.

Rims with central locking and safety clip are also included in delivery. In addition, the BMW Z4 GT3 also offers driver assistance systems such as racing ABS and traction control, which have been adopted from other cars in the customer racing range, and then further developed and modified for use in the GT3 car.

The front axle of the BMW Z4 GT3 is a completely new design, based on a series concept. It is equipped with a tubular stabiliser bar with adjustable blades. The rear axle is designed as a longitudinal link axle, as with the series version of the BMW Z4. The steel body of the car comes from the BMW Plant in Regensburg. A safety cell made of extremely rigid, precision steel tubing is then welded into the body. The engine block of the V8 engine is produced in the BMW foundry in Landshut. The BMW Plant in Dingolfing contributes the rear axle differential and drive shaft, among other things.

During the development, BMW Motorsport engineers worked hand in hand in other areas with their colleagues from series production. This allowed them to access calculations from the field of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) when designing the cars aerodynamics. Furthermore, tests were also carried out in the wind tunnel and on the BMW Groups test benches.

Front and rear wings, bonnet, roof, fender and many other components are made of carbon fibre reinforced plastics (CFRP). Using this lightweight, torsion-resistant material contributed significantly to reducing the weight of the BMW Z4 GT3 to 1,200 kilograms.

As with all cars in the BMW customer racing range, the emphasis was also put on cost-efficiency when developing the BMW Z4 GT3. As a result, the car offers a very good cost/performance ratio and gives private teams the opportunity to participate in affordable motorsport at the highest level.

The BMW Z4 GT3 is available as a racing car at a cost of 298,000 Euros (plus VAT). Interested teams can find further information at: Z4GT3@bmw-motorsport.com.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Z4-GT3-V8-Powered-Race-Car_1.jpg
Views:	33104
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	222738   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Z4-GT3-V8-Powered-Race-Car_2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	222739   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Z4-GT3-V8-Powered-Race-Car_3.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	222740   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Z4-GT3-V8-Powered-Race-Car_4.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	222741   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Z4-GT3-V8-Powered-Race-Car_5.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	222742  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Z4-GT3-V8-Powered-Race-Car_6.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	222743  

This article has been viewed 3763 times.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Become the Bull

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
That is hot as HELL. Hope there are some manufactures out there taking notes b/c if i had a Z4 i would be looking high and low for a wide-body kit like this (minus spoiler obv.)
Just looks so mean........

2009 335i Coupe - Delivered 7/23/2009
Old 03-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: **** you
I can haz?
Old 03-27-2010, 03:35 PM
*rh Cdrh*

Mein Auto: 08 M5 e36 M3 gt40 877hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Brit View Post
I can haz?
+123

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveytrackels View Post
I don't undestand.. Can someone explain it to me?
What don't you understand?

****************** __________________------====http://bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)====--------__________________
Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Sweet! Hopefully this car is an indication of what might be in the pipeline for a future production version of the ///MZ4. (fingers crossed)
Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: Ducati 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp View Post
Sweet! Hopefully this car is an indication of what might be in the pipeline for a future production version of the ///MZ4. (fingers crossed)
+100000

That thing is wicked looking!