Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 84 533i and 84 325e
Speedometer, turn signal, obc, power antenna, all not working

Can someone help me with a problem whereby the speedometer, turn signals, OBC, power antenna, and center check light are not working? The car still starts and the tachometer still work. Also, the 4 way hazard switch works as well. Might it be a bad main computer board in the instrument cluster? A quick reply from anyone out there would be greatly appreciate, especially if you had these problems and solved it!! Thanks....
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 528e automatic
Try resetting your Service Indicator lights. The batteries on your 'cluster' board might be giving out especially if they have not been 'updated'. Worth a try and it doesn't cost anything to try it. Good luck!!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 84 533i and 84 325e
Thanks for the help.....do you have instructions on how to replace the cluster board battery and where do I go and get the batteries (Radio Shack) and what type of battery do I need?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 528e automatic
First, I would try resetting the SI lights (green lights on dash) before I spend $$$ on replacing the cluster board (w/batteries).

Just replacing the batteries may not completely resolve your problem. An 'up-dated' cluster board will be better than the existing unit (especially if you have the original unit..which I doubt).... if this is your problem???

So, again, try resetting and see if it makes any difference. If it does makes a difference but doesn't last very long then I would consider replacing the batteries first before I spend more money on a 'new' one.

Check out this link and photos:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html