Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jbrovage Send a message via MSN to jbrovage Send a message via Yahoo to jbrovage
Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 540iT
charging vs "charging" the battery

Question for the wise....

normally, when i I've accidently let something drain my battery down, i've just jumped my car, and made sure i drove for an hour or so, to get the battery "charged". I've heard people here on the forums say that doing that stresses the alternator, because it forces the alternator to work harder until the battery is back to full charge. Since i have a 540, with the water cooled alternator, i want to treat it well. However, the Alternator is rated at 150 amps. this seems like it'd be able to take quite a load, and "charging" the battery seems like it should be the responsibility of the alternator.

So, should i charge the battery up with a trickle charger overnight, after a run-down? does this really "lighten the load" on the alternator? I've never had to do this with any other car, why with the BMW?

Also, is there any "high output" alternator alternatives? In my Grand Marquis, i can get a 200amp alternator that's for a police-package Crown Vic. I'd love an option like this for the BMW. That way, i'd feel fine about adding a winch (for all those times i'm stuck on a hill in the snow!)

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." - Robert A. Heinlein
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2010, 07:04 AM
looking for a car

Mein Auto: e39 m5 & 92 civic
you'll be fine, ive killed my battery countless times, jumped it, drove for a little bit and called it a day. been doing that for 4 years now and i still dont have issues. im sure bmw wouldnt put an alternator in there that cant handle something like that.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
You are OK, don't worry.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to jbrovage Send a message via MSN to jbrovage Send a message via Yahoo to jbrovage
very good. thanks!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Bear in mind that the job of the alt is to run the car after the engine is started; it supplies all the current required. It also replaces the energy that was used to start the car.

If you do this frequently, it will stress the alt, as well as the battery. A dead battery s/b brought back to life slowly, charging at about 10% of its ampere-hour rating.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Bear in mind that the job of the alt is to run the car after the engine is started; it supplies all the current required. It also replaces the energy that was used to start the car.

If you do this frequently, it will stress the alt, as well as the battery. A dead battery s/b brought back to life slowly, charging at about 10% of its ampere-hour rating.
Correctomundo....One other overlooked aspect is that any battery (especially an older one) that has been left in a discharged state for any length of time is probably incapable of taking and holding a full charge, which can lead to all sorts of gremlins popping up, as well as the possibility of outright failure. Better to replace it now, before it leaves you stranded at 2 a.m.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
1+,

Car battery is not like cell phone battery (I think battery cell phone needs to be d/c completely once ina w hile).
Car battery, after a few cycles of complete d/c, is basically a goner. It holds charge very poorly.

Too bad car maker does not make the hand crank any longer, otherwise, it may be a useful feature for the worst case scenario getting stuck somewhere with dead battery:

Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 AM

i vote for lithium polymer car batteries.

http://www.coloradoautoconnection.co...ries_aev_3.asp

Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrovage View Post
i vote for lithium polymer car batteries.

http://www.coloradoautoconnection.co...ries_aev_3.asp
The battery featured in the link is for a completely different application (i.e., powering an electric motor, with a constant output, demand & load). It doesn`t have a CCA rating, which would be the critical spec for use with a high-compression IC engine....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
1+,

Too bad car maker does not make the hand crank any longer, otherwise, it may be a useful feature for the worst case scenario getting stuck somewhere with dead battery:

]
I`ve often thought the same thing....a "port" through the grille, where you insert a long splined shaft which interfaces with a gear-reduction box, which in turn spins the crankshaft pulley....your 19Volt, 1/2-inch drive portable drill would provide the power. Of course, you`d probably need a compression-release feature of some design....

Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
The battery featured in the link is for a completely different application (i.e., powering an electric motor, with a constant output, demand & load). It doesn`t have a CCA rating, which would be the critical spec for use with a high-compression IC engine....
I figured if you put enough together in parallel, you'd get enough CCA. if each one is 160amps, maybe 5 of them would do it?

Plus, they are designed to be fully discharged occasionally. So no worries about running your radio all day while you wash/wax your car...

Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Offtopic: Cellphones with Lithium-Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries should not be run down.
'99 540i (grandfather's)