Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 03-31-2010, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: E53
Talking June ED - Greatest Driving Roads Grand Tour

Welcome to the master thread for my first ever ED coming up in June! Brother and sisters will be coming along for the ride.

Thanks to help from the 'festers here and Andy Lin at New Century BMW (Center of Excellence in Alhambra, CA), we are scheduled to pick up a 2011 E90 335i on June 7!

Now that we have the delivery date pre-reserved, comes the hard part of itinerary planning. The theme for the trip is going to be 'Greatest Driving Roads', obviously influenced by Top Gear. My half baked idea so far is to head to Davos after delivery. After a night there, I will be able to wind my way through the Stelvio Pass and maybe the San Bernardino Pass before ending up at Lake Como. From Como, I can head down to Monaco and take the "scenic route" to Nice via the Col De Turini. All suggestions and personal stories about these destinations/routes would really help!

To complicate matters, I really want to experience the Nurburgring, which will be a two day drive back to Germany with a stay in Zurich just to break up all that driving. Would be nice to drop off in Frankfurt, but open jaw airfare doesn't seem worth it at this point. Will be checking with Lufthansa 2-for-1 about this today. Otherwise drop-off back in Munich will be another half day trek. If we can keep the Nurburgring on the itinerary, the official website lists Sunday 6/13 as being open to the public for now. Hopefully these things don't change last minute? There seems to be no availability for the BMW Ring Taxi at this point, which is super disappointing. Maybe the schedule/tickets for June haven't been released yet? Also, are there any similar Ring Taxi services that can take 4 passengers at one time?

All comments and suggestions welcome, this is going to be one memorable trip!
Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Wagon
Sounds like a great idea!

See my second post down: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=432586

-Michael
Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Search for zoltrix post about Col De Turini.

My recommendation - instead of Zurich spend a day in Lucerne. Zurich very expensive, over crowded and very touristy.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
That is a whole lot of driving! I did my first ED last year, and while it was awesome the only thing I would change is the amount of time I spent driving. I put 3500 miles in 10 days. Please reconsider... And for the Nurburgring - I would recommend you skip it, it is not going anywhere and at least you will have a reason to plan a 2nd ED around the Nurburgring and arrange for a BMW taxi service and stuff... Southern Europe is nice, enjoy it. Other places worth mentioning are: for your sisters: Foxtown outlets in Switzerland, driving around Lake Como - or taking a ferry across... I totally agree on Zurich - not worth it (been there). If you keep your itinerary on Alps/southern Europe - Slovenia and Bled might be well worth the drive (it is a short drive from Austria)... Just don't drive a whole lot - there is always an ED no. 2! Anyway, good luck on your ED and do not forget about the 12-hr. rule!

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Awesome........It a testament the vast reach of Top Gear!!!

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 03-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: E93 - ED'ed 5-08
Wow - 3500 miles logged on a 10-day ED? That's a bunch! We did 4000 on our first 21-day ED and felt like it was too much driving and that helped shape our second trip. What did you do besides drive?

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271
Old 03-31-2010, 01:16 PM
The One who Drives.

My rough ED itinerary Just FYI - there was not much driving, the first day - I just had to get through as I needed to be the next day in Poland for some business meeting... Otherwise - we did not drive THAT much. Btw. The Google map does not include any of the side trips we did, which added a few hundred miles...

Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirosa View Post
Sounds like a great idea!

See my second post down: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=432586

-Michael
Hey Michael, small world huh? Maybe we'll run into each other at the Welt on delivery day! I don't have a pickup time from my CA yet, but maybe that's because I haven't given him a drop-off date and location yet?

I can see you're going to be driving through Davos/Stelvio the next day too. You know what they say about great minds. I'm thinking of staying at the Youthpalace hostel in Davos now, after seeing it in Maxofthewell's ED video. Hopefully those with personal experience have good things to say about it?

And before I forget, the specs:

2011 335i M Sport Sedan

Blue Water Metallic/Beige Dakota Leather/Dark Burl Trim
M Sport Package
Premium Package
Navigation/iPod & USB/Smartphone
STEPTRONIC/Paddle shifters
Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
HK surround sound
automatic high beams
Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
Search for zoltrix post about Col De Turini.

My recommendation - instead of Zurich spend a day in Lucerne. Zurich very expensive, over crowded and very touristy.
Hmm, couldn't find any comments by zoltrix, but I do see that some aren't big fans of the Col De Turini because the road conditions aren't great. Is that what you wanted to point out?

Also, I think the Lucerne suggestion is a good one. I have actually been to Zurich before, and it is pretty boring (even Rick Steves agrees with us). The thinking was that I could show the siblings around since I kind of know the place, but heading to Lucerne instead is a better idea, thanks!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
That is a whole lot of driving! I did my first ED last year, and while it was awesome the only thing I would change is the amount of time I spent driving. I put 3500 miles in 10 days. Please reconsider... And for the Nurburgring - I would recommend you skip it, it is not going anywhere and at least you will have a reason to plan a 2nd ED around the Nurburgring and arrange for a BMW taxi service and stuff... Southern Europe is nice, enjoy it. Other places worth mentioning are: for your sisters: Foxtown outlets in Switzerland, driving around Lake Como - or taking a ferry across... I totally agree on Zurich - not worth it (been there). If you keep your itinerary on Alps/southern Europe - Slovenia and Bled might be well worth the drive (it is a short drive from Austria)... Just don't drive a whole lot - there is always an ED no. 2! Anyway, good luck on your ED and do not forget about the 12-hr. rule!
A lot of the miles in my original plan were due to the Nurburgring. Slowly I'm trying to get my head around the fact that I will probably have to save it for another time. It is slightly consoling that the BMW Ring Taxi will not be running the day I planned to be there.

So the French Riviera will now be a bigger focus of the trip. Should have time for an overnight in Nice and then another night in Cannes. Will one night at Lake Como (prior to France) be sufficient?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:54 AM
The One who Drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaljok View Post
Will one night at Lake Como (prior to France) be sufficient?
For you - maybe, most likely. For your sisters - most likely it WILL NOT be. The sheer beauty of this place is breathtaking. I spent 3 nights there and I am already planning my next ED around French Riviera/Spain with a rather lengthy stopover in Dervio/Lake Como area...

Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Hmm, couldn't find any comments by zoltrix, but I do see that some aren't big fans of the Col De Turini because the road conditions aren't great. Is that what you wanted to point out?!
No, he was the only one I remember, who knew that area. If I have time today, I will try to find his post. (just hope he read this post and replay first)

Quote:
Also, I think the Lucerne suggestion is a good one. I have actually been to Zurich before, and it is pretty boring (even Rick Steves agrees with us). The thinking was that I could show the siblings around since I kind of know the place, but heading to Lucerne instead is a better idea, thanks!
You are Welcome!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
So the French Riviera will now be a bigger focus of the trip. Should have time for an overnight in Nice and then another night in Cannes. Will one night at Lake Como (prior to France) be sufficient?
Depend what you plan for Lake Como. We was in a hurry to get to Nice, so we spend there 6 hr. Really would like spend more then 1 day next time .
Make sure you get to Nice not at rush hour - traffic is terrible, get a good parking like a winning a lotto. If you can - stay outside of Nice - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...79&postcount=2

Cannes is good for 2-3 hr visit - really don't liked at all (was there twice) - no way will stay there for one night. Maybe just a make a 1/2 day trip with stop in Antibes.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
I can attest from my own experience that you will have the time of your life. June ED in 2008, 1,800 miles and 27 mountain passes! A great ride

Enjoy

F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

ED 2014: Click here to view ED report | ED 2008: Click here to view ED report | PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé | BMWCCA Nº. 383753

Last edited by SJAPoc; 04-01-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
For you - maybe, most likely. For your sisters - most likely it WILL NOT be. The sheer beauty of this place is breathtaking. I spent 3 nights there and I am already planning my next ED around French Riviera/Spain with a rather lengthy stopover in Dervio/Lake Como area...
OK then I am definitely going to consider staying another night at Lake Como. What area/town did you stay in? I'm not familiar with the lake, and have no idea if there is there a significant difference between staying around Como vs Bellagio vs Menaggio vs Lecco. Since hostels are our first choice, we might not even have that many places to choose from anyways. But a hotel is a possibility if it's worth it.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
The One who Drives.

I stayed at B&B Villa Stefy in Dervio. We did that on purpose as we wanted to experience some of the famous European B&B, as well as be away from the big name hotels for a while. The place was super clean, the owner spoke little English and breakfasts were... delicious! We paid E25/person/night, which is super cheap! If you decide, call ahead and talk to the owner... The plus side - they have a two car garage across the street from the villa, accessible for guests. Varenna is just a short drive away, the town of Dervio is quiet, right on the lake, and with an easy access to the highway.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I stayed at B&B Villa Stefy in Dervio. We did that on purpose as we wanted to experience some of the famous European B&B, as well as be away from the big name hotels for a while. The place was super clean, the owner spoke little English and breakfasts were... delicious! We paid E25/person/night, which is super cheap! If you decide, call ahead and talk to the owner... The plus side - they have a two car garage across the street from the villa, accessible for guests. Varenna is just a short drive away, the town of Dervio is quiet, right on the lake, and with an easy access to the highway.
Thank You, added to my list of hotels for my next ED!

Old 04-03-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the B&B suggestion. Was focusing more on hostels up to this point, but it turns out some of these B&B's are even cheaper, and sound like an even better experience.

The garage parking is a plus, but how is parking during the day at the more touristy areas like Como and Bellagio? Is it easier to just take local transportation and/or ferries?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:41 AM
The One who Drives.

Quote:
The garage parking is a plus, but how is parking during the day at the more touristy areas like Como and Bellagio? Is it easier to just take local transportation and/or ferries?
I only parked in Varenna, which was our starting spot - there is plenty of parking right next to the entrance to the ferry terminal, just pay attention to the markings on the spots are some are reserved to locals, just some are assigned to tourists. With that being said, I had no issues finding parking anywhere we went. We took a ferry from Varenna to Menagio to Bellagio back to Varenna. It is fairly cheap and it is a nice break from driving around. We also took a drive which is just thrilling - narrow climbing road, but rewarding - beautiful vistas and great views, then slowly driving down to Dervio. Map available here. We ended our day with a nice meal in Varenna, where the hotel restaurant opens at 7. The next day we drove to Foxtown Outlets in Switzerland on the way there we drove around, but we came back via ferry from Menaggio.Awesome (and quite short) drive. My wife spent a small fortune on shoes and perfumes.Oh well, in the end it worked quite well. If you have any other questions, ask away!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:

In Come is plenty of free parking. We have no problem at all to find one even this was one of the day when 1/2 of Italy was there - some formula 1 race on the lake.
See my pick - marked street.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Como.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	224565  

Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Revise itinerary - reverse order?

So far I have planned to do a rough loop in the following order:
Munich-Davos/Stelvio-Lake Como-Monaco/Nice-Lucerne-Munich

After re-watching the highlights of the Top Gear Greates Driving Roads episode, it occurred to me that it might a good idea to drive those alpine passes with a slightly more broken in car. So instead of doing the Stelvio pass first with less than 500mi on the odometer, I could reverse the order that I visit the destinations. That way, at least I'll probably be around 1000mi before the more serious mountain driving.

I realize that there will probably be traffic on those roads in June, and of course I won't be pushing the car that hard anyways. So the question is does the level of break-in matter for driving in the Alps?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I realize that there will probably be traffic on those roads in June, and of course I won't be pushing the car that hard anyways. So the question is does the level of break-in matter for driving in the Alps?
I personally think that you make a right decisions.
Hard to tell - but I see a lot of speed cameras right before entrance to tunnels.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 AM

I found Zoltrix post
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=20

Old 04-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Please read through SJAPoc's brilliant Stelvio Pass thread!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=282797