Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: //M Coupes
Question help! z3 homecoming convert...

Well, I took my father-IN-LAW to HC.
When he returned the search began...
he called tonight asking me to go to Ft Lauderdale tomorrow morning (we're in Orlando) to check out a car that he needs to decide on.

It's a 97 1.9l automatic. Red with tan interior, black top.

Looking for any buyer's guide info that might exist for the roadsters, esp. in this configuration. How do the 4 cylinder motors hold up? How about the auto trannys?

I really tried to get him to buy the 3.0 z3 Coupe here in Orlando... ah, well... some people just can't see greatness.

Any tips, links, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I don't have much time and I have no clue about that 4 cylinder motor.

Last edited by DannO; 09-09-2003 at 07:52 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
I guess that means there'll be at least 531 cars registered next year

(I thought you introduced him to me as your father-in-law...)

To answer your question, I have no answer!

You might want to look at the top where the rear window joins, the fabric is known to come out from under the trim. No real fix other than living with it or warranty replacement (another plug for the Coupe).

I have zero exposure to the 4 cylinder engine/automatic trans.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 09-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Im here

Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
i had a 96 w/1.9 it was zippy but i have been told that the 1.9 feels like they have more pep with a 5 speed, but mine was auto
the biggest problem with mine which was bought with 90k on it , is that it was eating my lunch in repair cost, the motors seem pretty good as far as reliability goes its the M44 engine, but i had a leaking rear main seal which was costly to fix
look real good at stuff like soft top wear the soft top is expensive as hell to have replaced, check all doors,trunk,hood,fenders(the ones that are right below the side gills with hood open for the vin stickers)
if the vin sticker is missing then probable that panel was replaced
to give you a idea mine was a 96 with 100k, when i traded they gave me 10k trade in and this was 2 years ago
if you are not happy with the shape this one is in look into a 2.8L version , unless the price of the one you are going to look at is a super deal
make sure that when you test drive it you let it idle for about 5-8 minutes to make sure there are no over heating problems etc.......

max
Old 09-09-2003, 07:55 PM

Father-in-law - right you are. I'm typing this in front of a sports illustrated swimsuit calendar special. I guess I was distracted. Oh my.

How do you like that rollbar of yours? He's already identified a rollbar as a must-do upgrade as this car doesn't have the hoops. I thought yours looked great - very sturdy.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the tips, Max. I'd love for him to get a 2.8l manual, but there's just no convincing him. He's not really about that. More show than go. This car has 50k miles on it.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Im here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannO
Thanks for the tips, Max. I'd love for him to get a 2.8l manual, but there's just no convincing him. He's not really about that. More show than go. This car has 50k miles on it.

what are they asking for it , if you dont mindme asking
color and interior color
Old 09-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Im here

common top area's to check
also listen for popping in the rear area when turning or bumps, mine had broken rear shock mounts, they made kinda of a rattle noise

link incase pic does not enlarge:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...chmentid=19112
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	19112  
Old 09-09-2003, 08:41 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannO
Father-in-law - right you are. I'm typing this in front of a sports illustrated swimsuit calendar special. I guess I was distracted. Oh my.

How do you like that rollbar of yours? He's already identified a rollbar as a must-do upgrade as this car doesn't have the hoops. I thought yours looked great - very sturdy.
I like it just fine. It was chosen for its ability to tighten up the rear end (I have NO intention of using it as a ROLLbar). HMS should be able to verify its application on pre rollhoop cars. Mine wasn't much trouble to install, but you can check with Than, he's now done two of them!

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 09-09-2003, 08:43 PM

More thanks, Max. The car is red with a tan interior and black top. It has 50k miles and my father-in-law offered $13k for it. It didn't meet the reserve, but the seller did a "second chance" on it, which gives him 24 hours to agree to purchase the car at his offer. I don't think it's a bad price, maybe not the best. If the car looks good we'll find a few things to fuss about and bring the price down a little more.

There's nearly a bewildering array of them to choose from. I don't even want to get into second-guessing his choice. Just trying to see that it's in good shape.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Big Daddy did the HMS on his 1.9L pre-rollhoop. With good maintenence, they should be reliable engines; they're based on the E30 M42 1.9s...