Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
You don't need to before the course.

A simple pair of leather work gloves and boots that cover your ankle will work fine. I don't think a jacket is required or necessary for the class.

I wouldn't rush out to get riding gear before the class.. take your time to find stuff that you like and fits you well
I'm currently searching for a store to go try on some stuff and see what size I'm looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: **** you
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I'm currently searching for a store to go try on some stuff and see what size I'm looking for.
breaking in motorcycle boots is fun

...not
Old 04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Haro
Quote:
They say it doesn't have enough torque.

I'm 5'8 and 145 pounds. I don't think I'll be much weight for the bike.
I'm 6'2 190. What bikes have you been on to know what torque feels like?

Quote:
Ok quick question, will I need to buy a Jacket, Gloves, and Helmet before the course?
People answered, but no you won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Brit View Post
the more high performance bikes like the Ninja's and the Gixxers and what not all build their power pretty high up on the powerband rather than some more dirtbike influenced supermotard type bikes have a little more down low grunt...useable torque, don't have to wind the motor up to get it to go - which I prefer - but I am pretty biased as the only riding I really do is off road. it just seems like you really have to dig for that power on the more high strung race bikes - and they are horribly uncomfortable for any period of time more than 20 min. Just seems they are better suited for a race track than riding around on the street
Thank you for your input as an actual rider. I have owned an f4, gpz550, f3, 954, ninja 250 and gsxr600. I know a little bit about bikes and i was more than happy with the 250. Actually hoping to buy another 250 tonight about at least before 5pm tomorrow when the seller has a buyer coming.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassholic View Post

People answered, but no you won't

Thank you for your input as an actual rider. I have owned an f4, gpz550, f3, 954, ninja 250 and gsxr600. I know a little bit about bikes and i was more than happy with the 250. Actually hoping to buy another 250 tonight about at least before 5pm tomorrow when the seller has a buyer coming.
I've been on a 250cc, and that was in Iran,
Quote:
Old 04-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Re-Badged

I think you're ok.
Quote:
Old 04-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:

...not
So....you walk like Herman Munster the first couple hundred times you wear `em....what`s wrong with that ? :-)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 PM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:

...not
seriously!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
This one (did you say "TORQUE" ? :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBX 02.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	226200  

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Quote:

Coming from a few experiences with a 250, and owning a Honda F2, F4i, 600rr, and a Victory V92C, I have to ask: How could anyone be satisfied with a 250??? I'm not one to go banging off the rev limiter every time, but the 09 Ninja 250 I rode last year was really only liveable within the city limits. Its light enough to toss easily around the city streets, but in the country, or any place where the speed limit was above 40mph it was terrible. Buzzy little motor that struggles to reach highway speeds, and it was downright scary on the interstate doing 68mph

At the very least, if you aren't looking for a full fledged rocket, the Ninja 500 is more liveable..
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
So....you walk like Herman Munster the first couple hundred times you wear `em....what`s wrong with that ? :-)
hahhaa
I had the great idea to wear them literally EVERYWHERE when I got my most recent pair (which are strictly dirtbike boots - all hard plastic and metal toes)

decided to go somewhere and got in my stick shift car lol bad idea - no feeling whatsoever!!! I almost killed myself and drove barefoot for the rest of the trip but yes Herman Munster...pretty spot on!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
Coming from a few experiences with a 250, and owning a Honda F2, F4i, 600rr, and a Victory V92C, I have to ask: How could anyone be satisfied with a 250??? I'm not one to go banging off the rev limiter every time, but the 09 Ninja 250 I rode last year was really only liveable within the city limits. Its light enough to toss easily around the city streets, but in the country, or any place where the speed limit was above 40mph it was terrible. Buzzy little motor that struggles to reach highway speeds, and it was downright scary on the interstate doing 68mph

At the very least, if you aren't looking for a full fledged rocket, the Ninja 500 is more liveable..
I feel the 250 forces you to be a better rider. I made 100 mile trips on the 05 250 i had and i'm sure i was traveling upwards of 80 mph. I also know that i was able to ram 1-3rd and notice some giddy-up. I have to assume your skills are lacking. I am actually going to pick up a 08 250 this afternoon. To each their own.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Re-Badged

Ryan....

Have you ridden a Ninja 650R? How would you compare it to the SV650S?
Quote:
Old 04-15-2010, 02:59 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
If I ever ride again it'll be on one of those trycicle doohickies. My balls have retreated into my abdomen way too far for me to get back on a bike. Nevre crashed, lost a couple good friends, figured I'd quit while I was ahead.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 04-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
I feel the 250 forces you to be a better rider. I made 100 mile trips on the 05 250 i had and i'm sure i was traveling upwards of 80 mph. I also know that i was able to ram 1-3rd and notice some giddy-up. I have to assume your skills are lacking. I am actually going to pick up a 08 250 this afternoon. To each their own.
I'm no Rossi, but my skills are most definitely not "lacking"

Quote:
Ryan....

The only Ninjas I've ridden were that 250, a 636, and a Zx10r. The 636 was a friend's bike, and it felt horrible to me. Turns out his front tire was low by about 9lbs of air, so that really threw it off. He sold it shortly after I rode it and picked up the zx10r. Now that bike is fun! I don't really have anything to compare to the Sv650 because it was the first bike I'd ever ridden, and all I knew was that it had two wheels and was a lot quicker than my car
Old 04-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Ryan....

very different...
the sv is much less aggressive seating position and not at high strung as a ninja - sit on them both you will know the difference without even riding them
Old 04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
IMHO, a 250 IS a good bike to learn on....you can fling it around and explore its (and yours) limits without going to jail or killing yourself (although I managed to come close to both on several occasions :-) My first bike was a Yamaha 250 Big Bear Scrambler (dual-purpose, on/off-road bike), and I still remember the salesman`s warning " Now, *watch it* until you get used to it, this is a full-on two-fifty", and I proceeded to leave the dealer with a long wheelie :-) My friends had a mixed bag of bikes, a Honda 450, a few BSA & Triumph 650s, and Sportster 900s, and my little 2-stroke 250 could wax most of `em up to about 70 or so, then they`d walk me on top end....it was fun....

Old 04-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: Z3/F-150/Hyundai Accent
The class is great for a beginner, and the SV650 will be a great bike to learn on. The Ninja is a great machine. I've never really agreed with people who complain about the lack of torque. I drove a 636 once, loved it to death. You just have to drive the high revving bikes differently. Yes you will be revving to 4k rpms from a stop, but keep in mind some of these things rev to 16k. Most wouldn't be bothered by 2k starts on an engine that revved to 8k, just look at the proportions. Your still in the bottom end of the engine speed range. If you will be driving day to day, I would recommend a detuned sportbike. Something like a Yamaha FZ1, Suzuki Bandit, or Honda Intercepter are wonderful for day to day driving, all have great powerbands that are very user friendly. If its just a toy I'd stick with a 600cc sportbike. Everyone has their opinions, but the R6, CBR600rr, and Ninja 636 are all great bikes. I personally would stick with the CBR but thats just me. Just stay away from the 1000 supersports. There is so much power available that it gets to be a let down because you rarely get to really open it up. My FZ1 would break 80 in first gear, and 100 in second. Its super fun... for an entire 7 seconds I wouldn't want anything faster.

Last edited by Alex_Lounsbury; 04-15-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:40 PM

my man got an old nighthawk for his first bike and has not wanted for more yet
it's a great little -big bike!! with virtually no maint.
I recommend getting something you don't care too much about dropping or possibly totaling
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	226335  
Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 PM
DON'T PANIC

Send a message via AIM to jaguarx7
Mein Auto: 1994 325is
My first bike was a ninja 250, I put 500 miles on it in the first two months, then woke up one morning to find it not sitting where I left it. The police found it, but by that time I had another bike. I would recommend that bike to any new rider, it handles great and has plenty of power, I had mine up to 109 mph once (just to see if it could) and it's defiantly faster than a civic. The 70 mpg doesn't hurt either. After it was stolen I found a 1976 Kawasaki KZ900, restored it, and ride it at least twice a week. Once you get on one, you're hooked.

There is a theory which states that if anyone ever figures out how and why the universe came to exist it would instantly dissapear, and a less rational, more complicated one would replace it.

There is another theory which states that this has already happend...
Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Please, call me Brian.

^^^ any bike should be quicker than an eco car up to 60, power/weight is better on bikes.

I just don't see the point in wasting money on a 250. You're making a great choice with the Sv
Old 04-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Please describe what wasting money is. I had the 250 up to 90 miles per hour as i was bringing it home. I have a feeling the gsxr will be seeing shed time.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
Please describe what wasting money is. I had the 250 up to 90 miles per hour as i was bringing it home. I have a feeling the gsxr will be seeing shed time.
Its a pretty easy concept really; it doesn't pay to spend $2700 on a new-ish Ninja 250, then another $350 for registration/title, ride it for 1 month, realize you want/need something bigger, faster, more comfortable, etc then sell it for $2300. Right there you've gone and lost money, hence "waste of money"... I'm not saying they're bad bikes, but they're typically a bad choice for many riders i've seen. A 600 is generally a very tame bike when not in the hands of a complete idiot. They won't throw you off the back even under full throttle, and anyone that shows it respect can see their skills grow as they grow familiar with the bike. A lot of people can outperform what a ninja offers on the street, very few can do that with a 600.

There are a ton of good bikes that can be purchased rather than a ninja 250. Being able to do 90mph doesn't make it a good bike.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Re-Badged

Yeah, I think I'm going to get the SV650. Looking around for a good deal.
Quote:
Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Please, call me Brian.

another bike kinda close to the SV would be a Buell XB9R... Not sure what prices are like around you, but around here they're commonly found for under $4000. Very fun, not too fast, but a lot of torque throughout the rev range. They handle beautifully and they got that wonderful Harley engine/exhaust
Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2032.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	226386