Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:45 PM
The knights who say Ni!

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M Roadster
Ideas for storing a breaker bar and socket

My first flat tire with my new SSR Integral rims taught me a valuable lesson: Never assume that lugnut wrench in the factory toolkit will fit! The recesses for the lugnuts on the SSRs are slightly narrower than those on the factory rims and the toolkit wrench is too thick-walled to fit. Here is the factory wrench "trying" to fit the rims:

and here is a comparison of the factory wrench to a standard 17mm socket:

So, I went out and bought a breaker bar and a spare 17mm socket from Sears to keep in the car. But I am out of ideas where to store it. It won't fit by the battery or under the trunk floor panel, so right now I have it wrapped in a rag and stuffed behind one of the seats. I guess this will work, but I am a little leary of this heavy piece of metal deciding to go airborne or something in a hard cornering or braking situation. Any suggestions?

2006 MZ4 Roadster, Interlagos Blue, Light Sepang, CF Trim
CDV delete, OEM Strut Bar, Homelink, smartTop Controller

Advertisement
Old 09-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Shake well

Mein Auto: 2003 325iT
If I recall correctly, there's a recess in the trunk just below the opening... it has a couple rubber bungies. If you don't have the warning triangle that would fit this cubby, can you secure the wrench there?

BTW, I had a similar experience with my Honda Accord. I purchased a set of aftermarket rims and had wheel-locks installed. Turns out, the key for the wheel-lock was NOT the same size as the lug-wrench. Of course, I discovered this at night in the rain when I got a flat. Luckily, someone eventually stopped with a cross-wrench and helped me out.

daver -- 2003 325iT

Last edited by Daver; 09-10-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:10 PM
The knights who say Ni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
If I recall correctly, there's a recess in the trunk just below the opening... it has a couple rubber bungies. If you don't have the warning triangle that would fit this cubby, can you secure the wrench there?
Thanks for pointing that space out. I just went into the garage to check it out, and yes it does fit. Now the question is how to secure it in place. The rubber bungies are too loose and the 14" bar just fits between them. Any sideways motion and the bar will become an internal projectile in my trunk. Maybe there is some type of quick release cable clamp I could use that is normally used for strapping down wire harnesses.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:30 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Fortunately for us M Rdstr/Coupe owners, we don't get a lug wrench supplied with the car

I purchased a pair of 1/2" sq. dr. 17mm Deep Impact Sockets to use with my torque wrench and cordless impact gun (remember, I frequently change all four tires twice on Sundays). I put a couple layers of heat shrink tubing on the sockets to protect the finish on the oem rims.

When I got the SSR Comps, I found that the socket wouldn't fit in the recess at all with the h/s tubing and was still marginal without it. I chucked up the socket(s) in my lathe and necked them down for the depth of the recess and was able to put the h/s tubing on them again.

There's always a solution, it's just better to find these things out in your garage...

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 09-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Shake well

Mein Auto: 2003 325iT
Could you roll the bar and socket up in a towel to bulk it up? The towel itself might come in handy should you need to change your tire.

daver -- 2003 325iT
Old 09-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00' M Roadster, 07' Mazda
Instead of carrying around a breaker bar and a socket, how about having a nut welded (I forget the size nut) onto the end of a 17 MM socket. Then you can simply use the lug wrench in the trunk on the socket and not worry about carrying anything additional.

As Randy mentioned, us M Roadster/Coupe folks didn't get the lug wrench and jack included with our cars. However, I was not happy with relying solely on the BMW Mobility kit (fancy fix-a-flat), so I purchased the Z3 trunk tool tray in addition to the lug wrench and jack which I carry along with a tire plug kit. To my surprise, the rear M rims are so deep that the BMW lug wrench can't swing without catching the lip of the rim, so I welded a nut on the end of a deep 17 MM socket and it works great!
H&R/Bilstein, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, LeatrherZ armrest, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW
Old 09-11-2003, 11:41 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeen_john
Instead of carrying around a breaker bar and a socket, how about having a nut welded (I forget the size nut) onto the end of a 17 MM socket. Then you can simply use the lug wrench in the trunk on the socket and not worry about carrying anything additional.

As Randy mentioned, us M Roadster/Coupe folks didn't get the lug wrench and jack included with our cars. However, I was not happy with relying solely on the BMW Mobility kit (fancy fix-a-flat), so I purchased the Z3 trunk tool tray in addition to the lug wrench and jack which I carry along with a tire plug kit. To my surprise, the rear M rims are so deep that the BMW lug wrench can't swing without catching the lip of the rim, so I welded a nut on the end of a deep 17 MM socket and it works great!
Nut is a good idea. Sears sells a socket cap set. One of the caps is easily modified if you didn't want to weld.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00943303000

The crank for the S52 M coupe clears the rim by 3/8 inch. Part number 71 12 2 228 423 $11.60 retail. Will post some pics later.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 09-11-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:54 AM
The knights who say Ni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar
Nut is a good idea. Sears sells a socket cap set. One of the caps is easily modified if you didn't want to weld.
I definitely am liking this socket cap idea. I drive past Sears on Weds, so I will check it out next week. Thanks for the pointers, it sounds like just the ticket.

Now, of course, this begs the question. Is it physically possible to use the dinky little toolkit crank to undo a properly torqued lugnut? I assume someone in Germany did it- once! Quite honestly, I have done a fair number of tire changes and I always use at least a 1 foot bar to crack the nuts free. I suppose that is yet another thing I should try in the privacy of my garage before I completely give up on the idea of adding a breaker bar to my toolkit.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:06 PM
19,585 Miles

I definitely am liking this socket cap idea. I drive past Sears on Weds, so I will check it out next week. Thanks for the pointers, it sounds like just the ticket.
>>>Don't forget the modify part. The Sears cap is 11/16 which is several thousands larger than the crank 17 mm hole.

Now, of course, this begs the question. Is it physically possible to use the dinky little toolkit crank to undo a properly torqued lugnut? I assume someone in Germany did it- once! Quite honestly, I have done a fair number of tire changes and I always use at least a 1 foot bar to crack the nuts free. I suppose that is yet another thing I should try in the privacy of my garage before I completely give up on the idea of adding a breaker bar to my toolkit.
>>>Just tried the crank (by itself) on my cars rear wheel and it works fine. The crank is designed so that it is easily used with two hands.
I use 72 lb-ft on my wheels which I've been using for years. New spec is 88.5 lb-ft.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00' M Roadster, 07' Mazda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar

The crank for the S52 M coupe clears the rim by 3/8 inch. Part number 71 12 2 228 423 $11.60 retail.
That's the same lug wrench that I ordered. It was just a little too close to the rim for comfort (looked like I was going to bash a finger). So, I use the socket to get a little more clearance. After all, these M rims lose their finish just from looking at them too long!

I saw those Sears socket cap sets too, but the head (nut) was not the correct size for our 17 MM lug wrench. I guess you could make it work if you grind down the larger 1/2" socket cap. Please keep us all informed if you go this route.

I also tested my crank and socket and was able to get the bolts loose(torqued to 88.5 lb-ft).
H&R/Bilstein, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, LeatrherZ armrest, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW
Old 09-11-2003, 05:42 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeen_john
That's the same lug wrench that I ordered. It was just a little too close to the rim for comfort (looked like I was going to bash a finger). So, I use the socket to get a little more clearance. After all, these M rims lose their finish just from looking at them too long!

I saw those Sears socket cap sets too, but the head (nut) was not the correct size for our 17 MM lug wrench. I guess you could make it work if you grind down the larger 1/2" socket cap. Please keep us all informed if you go this route.

I also tested my crank and socket and was able to get the bolts loose(torqued to 88.5 lb-ft).
The crank works fine for me on my coupe with stock wheels and tires.
If I was to use the Sears nut I would have my machinist remove the material.

I added shrink tubing to my crank where it goes over the lugbolt and the handles. If you let the shrink go into the crank hole a little it holds the lugbolt instead of it falling on the wheel.

For Homecoming, I took along a Snap-on aluminum/steel lugbolt socket along with my 3/8 drive Sears Digitork wrench. In my garage, I use a similar setup along with my 1/2 inch drive Sears Digitork wrench. I added the shrink tubing shown in the following pics.
I've tried the Griots and the Ultimate Garage sockets but they are not as long as the Snap-on one. I use the Snap-on adapter and extension too since the fit is better and the socket doesn't fall off on the floor or on the car.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 09-11-2003 at 05:46 PM.