Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 02 325Ci
Gout,,,,,,Ouch

I have had a flare up of Gout in my foot, big toe to be specific. It hurts like hell and I've been taking the same pills I had the last time it acted up 1 year ago. It been since Monday night. I had to cancel 3 golf games this weekend.
Fot those people not aware, Gout is a form of arthritis caused by a buildup of Uric Acid. It crystalizes in your joints most commonly in the big toe. It's like walking on glass shards..
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Smart Passion, F-250 4x4
Yeooowch!! Googled that bad boy - the image search was !

Hope that clears up for you bud.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Banned

Thx Gee, Golf season is just about done for the year and it's pissing me off that I can't play this weekend, it's our Thanksgiving. Nothing better than Golf and Turkey
I guess I shouldn't complain as I got in 75 games from May to Oct.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Imagine that feeling however not just in your toe but your entire foot. Both feet actualy. Mix in some burning and shooting pains, make it chronic for the last 7 months and then get back to me.

Hope your stuff goes away soon!

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 10-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Hawks RULE!

Mein Auto: '07 e60 530iA
Hi BBBMW-

A friend of mine has bouts occasionally. Nasty stuff! Secret weapon: Black Cherry Juice. 100% pure concentrate. He bought it online- people swear by it (in a good way).

Be careful of the medications they give you. Most can have some nasty side effects.

Good luck!

-Cago

2007 e60 530iA - Jet Black / Black Dakota - Premium - STEP - Cold - Sirius - 24k mi - CPO

2003 e39 530iA - SOLD @ 93k miles.
1997 e39 528iA - SOLD @ 145k miles.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

It's been 5 days and it's better but not great. Still limping
Jev....I can't imagine what you have been going through. health is so very important when you don't have it.
No golf this weekend. Course closes on the 15th...still time to go shoot that 69
Old 10-07-2006, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: Broom
My dad had it all the time. Only thing that worked for him was prescription drugs from the doctors ... they say you should stay away from red meat, wine and chocolate ... hell just end your life its not worth living without those
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 10-07-2006, 10:25 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
My dad had it all the time. Only thing that worked for him was prescription drugs from the doctors ... they say you should stay away from red meat, wine and chocolate ... hell just end your life its not worth living without those
I can do w/out the wine and chocolate but when one of my docs told me to give up eating cow I almost punched his dick hole.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 10-07-2006, 11:58 AM
aka Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to AsianImage
Mein Auto: Excellence
GOUT for the WIN!!!

let's see...my daily meds?

I live on ALLOPURINOL (sp?) and COCHICINE! Everyday...2 pills...EVERYDAY!

I have also heard about CHERRY JUICE helping....good luck and trust me I FEEL YOUR PAIN...literally and figuratively.

IMG_4675
Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

Nathacin is what I am trying to take now, three times a day.
Alberta beef,,,,mmmmm in Homer Simpson voice.
I guess I might be limping for awhile,
Old 10-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Allopurinol + cherries= relief....
Old 10-08-2006, 07:48 AM
Hawks RULE!

Mein Auto: '07 e60 530iA
Isn't it amazing to suddenly realize how many people are suffering with the same ailment?

-Cago

2007 e60 530iA - Jet Black / Black Dakota - Premium - STEP - Cold - Sirius - 24k mi - CPO

2003 e39 530iA - SOLD @ 93k miles.
1997 e39 528iA - SOLD @ 145k miles.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
First time I had an attack I thought I had a fracture in my foot. X-rays proved otherwise. Now when I have an attack, a few days on Naproxin usually does the trick.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
gout has permanently deformed my left foot. i have a bump sticking out the inside of the foot.

it's not food related but stress. been stressed ever since graduation with nothing lined up and it was only in the last 3 or 4 days was i able to walk without a limp.

golfing yesterday was ok. wasn't getting in the way but it felt like i had a bruised toe.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: none
this thread is almost 3 years!......damn!...
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Quote:
Originally Posted by daragez View Post
it's old but i would rather bump and old thread an get the :aty: attack

Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E90 335d
I feel for you gout sufferers. My cousin has had gout for about 7 years and it can be quite debilitating at times. In fact, my cousin was told he was the youngest documented case that anyone has heard of. Not only feet pain, but knee pain, hip pain, etc. Now, I think he has pretty well under control, but he is on a strict diet....no red meat, etc.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslickak View Post
I feel for you gout sufferers. My cousin has had gout for about 7 years and it can be quite debilitating at times. In fact, my cousin was told he was the youngest documented case that anyone has heard of. Not only feet pain, but knee pain, hip pain, etc. Now, I think he has pretty well under control, but he is on a strict diet....no red meat, etc.
how old was he?

my first attack, i was 20. i thought i broke my foot but it got better after 3 days so i dismissed it as a fluke.

have you asked him to keep a memo of his stress level vs his gout attacks?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Number 12 of 5 or 6

Mein Auto: Non-green vehicles
The OP is banned... must have been a racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
This thread just got mmmerted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Hey, hey, if it weren't for MMMM_ERT Off Topic would totally suck.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
...bump.

Have had "broken toe" symptoms off and on for four months...finally went to the Doc yesterday.

Pain was specific to the joint in my right big toe. On a 1 - 10 scale, it was a four or five. Limping, etc. It came and went, but seemed better at times.

Well, he listens to my symptoms, and says it's probably gout. Ah well. Anyways, they pulled some blood for a sample to test for Uric Acid, then put me on 50 mg of indomethacin three times a day.

Since I started it last night, the pain is down to a 1 or 2, which is good.

Will hear back from the test on Monday, so we'll see.

At least I know that my foot isn't broken.

Sucks not to be able to have a glass of red wine.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by daragez View Post
Add another year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
...bump.

Have had "broken toe" symptoms off and on for four months...finally went to the Doc yesterday.

Pain was specific to the joint in my right big toe. On a 1 - 10 scale, it was a four or five. Limping, etc. It came and went, but seemed better at times.

Well, he listens to my symptoms, and says it's probably gout. Ah well. Anyways, they pulled some blood for a sample to test for Uric Acid, then put me on 50 mg of indomethacin three times a day.

Since I started it last night, the pain is down to a 1 or 2, which is good.

Will hear back from the test on Monday, so we'll see.

At least I know that my foot isn't broken.

Sucks not to be able to have a glass of red wine.
Allopurinol is another commonly-prescribed med for gout....fresh cherries are a more natural approach....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-02-2011, 04:37 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Holy !#%^$ !#$# it hurts!

I assume this is gout. I've had a bit of it in the past but only for a day or so and only a minor nuisance. After being on my feet all day at the BMW Performance Center for a friend's new car delivery yesterday my left big toe is in agony and my right big toe is feeling symptoms as well. There's no obvious external swelling or inflammation but I woke up at 5:30AM on a freaking Saturday in too much pain to continue trying to sleep. I can barely walk on it. I think I'm going to limp over to Whole Foods for some black cherry juice and see if that helps.

My doctor just prescribed prescription fish oil tablets (Lovaza) for triglycerides and my kidney situation and I'm wondering if this has somehow triggered this . . . either way it sucks big time.

Last edited by johnc_22; 04-02-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Holy !#%^$ !#$# it hurts!

I assume this is gout. I've had a bit of it in the past but only for a day or so and only a minor nuisance. After being on my feet all day at the BMW Performance Center for a friend's new car delivery yesterday my left big toe is in agony and my right big toe is feeling symptoms as well. There's no obvious external swelling or inflammation but I woke up at 5:30AM on a freaking Saturday in too much pain to continue trying to sleep. I can barely walk on it. I think I'm going to limp over to Whole Foods for some black cherry juice and see if that helps.

My doctor just prescribed prescription fish oil tablets (Lovaza) for triglycerides and my kidney situation and I'm wondering if this has somehow triggered this . . . either way it sucks big time.
I'm thinking back and it does seem, now that you mention it, that my attacks occurred most frequently during a time when I was taking fish oil supplements. I honestly don't think that the medical community has a clue as to what really causes these attacks. Lately I'm thinking that white flour is a contributor to my condition. I went a long period avoiding white flour with no attacks. Recently, while going through a period of eating some good white breads, etc., I had another flair up. Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know. One thing I have learned is that as soon as you feel the first sign of a flair up, jump on the meds at once, and you can beat it before things get bad. Naproxin doesn't help me much anymore, now it's Indomethacin.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
One thing I have learned is that as soon as you feel the first sign of a flair up, jump on the meds at once, and you can beat it before things get bad. Naproxin doesn't help me much anymore, now it's Indomethacin.
I can't take any sort of NSAID, only acetaminophen which doesn't do much for inflammation.

I have been hydrating with lots of water and organic cherry juice and I'd say the pain is probably down to a 6 from an 8. Still hurts like hell to use my clutch and walking is a chore.