Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe / ZHP Coupe
Is there a way to find out how much a dealer paid at auction?

I'm looking to buy a BMW from a non-BMW used car dealer, and I was wondering if there was a way to look up the VIN to see how much it sold for at the auction. It's been for sale since late December '09, so I've gotta think they're pretty interested in getting rid of it. I figure knowing the auction price would give me a good, reasonable starting point (assuming they're not willing to take a loss).
Old 04-19-2010, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I'm looking to buy a BMW from a non-BMW used car dealer, and I was wondering if there was a way to look up the VIN to see how much it sold for at the auction. It's been for sale since late December '09, so I've gotta think they're pretty interested in getting rid of it. I figure knowing the auction price would give me a good, reasonable starting point (assuming they're not willing to take a loss).
There are so many hypothesis on buying car.
some says buy car that has zero miles which mean it just arrives so dealer has not acrue any credit cost on it, that's the car that'll give you the best deal.

Then some says, buy the slow model cause dealer has been paying interest on it so they must be desperate to negotiate, that's when you come in to steal it away.

Honestly no one one for sure.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
There isn't any way to search the post sale results by the VIN.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: x5 4.4i
Quote:
Why don't you go in and speak to them. Offer them a reasonable price and take it from there.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:01 AM
Craig Butler

Mein Auto: '04 525i, '02 540i 6-Sp
Post the VIN# or send me a PM and I'll look it up for you. I have access to the dealer wholesale auction site.

Craig

Quote:
Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Craig Butler

Thanks for the PM. I couldn't find the VIN's in the recent sales so that may mean it went through the auction a while ago.

Try to get the Auto Check subscription and let me know if it has auction history on it. If so then I can let you know exactly what it sold for at the auction.

Craig
Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Regardless of what it sold for at auction, you still dont know what they own the car for. You would need to know what they pay for an auction fee...what expenses they incurred in reconditioning, mechanical and cosmetic, and you would need to know what if any intrest they are paying on thier vehicles.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Craig Butler

I already exchanged PM's with the OP (dekaliber) and found the one that went through the auction for him.

But on your point -- Yes, I agree you don't know the dealer's true cost however if you have the raw auction price then you have a better idea of what it's worth. Of course that doesn't mean they will sell it for a certain price but having some information is better than none.

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc9997 View Post
Regardless of what it sold for at auction, you still dont know what they own the car for. You would need to know what they pay for an auction fee...what expenses they incurred in reconditioning, mechanical and cosmetic, and you would need to know what if any intrest they are paying on thier vehicles.