Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpi View Post
One thing to consider is the $4,550 ECO credit on the diesel, and as my experience shows gas engines obtain poor fuel economy in very cold conditions and very hot conditions.

True enough; however, my X35d mpg also declines noticeably in cold weather as well.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 silverado
Adblue

Nobody talks about adblue. On the X5 diesel, after a few years, like when the warranty expires, you will have to face the adblue fill up. Do the math and you will see that you will be paying more in the long run for the X5 diesel. The X5 diesel is deceiving when we talk about mpg. For now, with todays fuel prices, you are best off driving the X5 petrol. I personally love diesels and will probably purchase one this fall.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaliscomex View Post
Nobody talks about adblue. On the X5 diesel, after a few years, like when the warranty expires, you will have to face the adblue fill up. Do the math and you will see that you will be paying more in the long run for the X5 diesel. The X5 diesel is deceiving when we talk about mpg. For now, with todays fuel prices, you are best off driving the X5 petrol. I personally love diesels and will probably purchase one this fall.
We've all been talking about adblue, or AUS32 as it is commonly called.

$16 a gallon, about 1000 miles per gallon,.... So add 1.5 cents per mile. (My original fill of 6.5 gallons has lasted 9000 miles so far, and no warnings yet...)

The cost is incredibly reasonable- and manageable...unless you are going to pay the BMW dealer $250 to do a pointless DEF 'service' when all you need is to dump a few gallons in....

The fluid is sold at virtually every truck stop across america, and is used every day by long haul truckers. Nothing esoteric or expensive about it...

IMO

A
Old 04-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 silverado
Q7 tdi

16.00/gallon. Sounds reasonable. I do know that truck stops have a similar urea solution concentration but I did NOT know that it could be used on the X5 diesel. Good to know. Thats one of the reasons why I will not be purchasing a Q7 TDI. The Audi Q7 is not customer friendly. Only the dealer can reset the the adblue sensor. Funny thing is that the adblue fill up location is conveniently located next to the diesel fill up. Customer friendly you might think, however...in an emergency, you are able to dispense enough adblue to get you to the dealer so that the dealer can fill up the ten gallon tank. If you were to fill up the adblue(urea) tank yourself the computer will not recognize it. This is very inconvenient yet they will argue that purchasing the Audi care service plan for 740.00(45,000 miles) will save you a lot of money. Audi care service plan covers oil changes and adblue. I asked Audi the same question "What happens when the Audi Care Service plan expires?". I also worked out a calculation that showed how deceiving their advertisement for best mpg when comparing their TDI to their own GAS and competitor GAS vehicles. Got to go on the elliptical. Be back in a few....
Old 04-04-2010, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
$16 a gallon, about 1000 miles per gallon,.... So add 1.5 cents per mile. (My original fill of 6.5 gallons has lasted 9000 miles so far, and no warnings yet...)... The fluid is sold at virtually every truck stop across america, and is used every day by long haul truckers. Nothing esoteric or expensive about it...

IMO

A

Yes, and I have seen projections that indicate the price of DEF will fall to below $5 a gallon once its use in over the road semis becomes widespread in the next few years.

Here's one source of that projection:

http://www.npnweb.com/ME2/dirmod.asp...0C3966699B8E20

Of course, if one insists on buying it from BMW, you can multiply that price several fold.

Here the Cummins DEF:

http://powerstore.cummins.com/defaul...ct_name=FF5020

Last edited by Penguin; 04-04-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I did occur to me that someone would think this was a prank but that just goes to show how impressive these numbers are. These are REAL. You can access them from BMWUSANews.com in the Press Kit that was probably for the New York International Auto Show at this link. It's on the colored bar on the right under "Press Kit Contents".

This is exactly what I'm seriously considering since the trade-offs in going diesel (filling issues, froze DEF, etc) could be outweighed by only a slightly higher operating cost. In Toronto, it's a little more difficult to justify since diesel is cheaper that premium gas by $0.15 to $0.25 per *litre*. What makes me wonder is why the USA EPA numbers are so far off of the Canadian/EU numbers. Is the EPA testing procedures biased towards gas?
The EPA underestimates diesel efficiency in its tests. Real world results of diesel engines are materially higher than the EPA sticker numbers. So the 2mpg difference isn't a real. I routinely get 23-24mpg in city driving for 35d. On highway, always +30mpg.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by twhit1 View Post
The EPA underestimates diesel efficiency in its tests. Real world results of diesel engines are materially higher than the EPA sticker numbers. So the 2mpg difference isn't a real. I routinely get 23-24mpg in city driving for 35d. On highway, always +30mpg.
Just about the same. I get 22 city and 29 hwy.
2010 X5 35d, Black Sapphire / Sand Beige Nevada / Premium / Cold Weather / Tech / Rear Climate / Premium Sound / Sport Activity / Roof Rails / Running boards / iPhone Snap-in Adaptor / HUD / Comfort Access / iPod and USB / Space-Saver Spare
Old 06-27-2010, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i premium
I received my 35i yesterday (woohoo!). However, the gas mileage is a little disappointing. I hardly get 13 mpg!