Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > The MINI Board

The MINI Board
The Mini Cooper Forum

Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Mini Cooper S
Mini Cooper Service and Product Quality Issues

Hi all.

I'm a new member trying to find some information on my 2007 Mini Cooper S. The car was purchased new in January 2008 and my wife and I have enjoyed this car thoroughly.

About 7 weeks ago, we had a low brake fluid light come on that we took to the dealership to resolve. Since the front tires were pretty much worn out, we had them replaced along with a wheel alignment (about $840!). We took the car back a day or so later when we started hearing some unusually high squealing, which the dealership repaired.

A few days after that, while accelerating onto the freeway, we suddenly lost power and noticed the check engine light had appeared. We parked the car at home for a few days and took it in on March 22. That is the last time we saw the car. The initial diagnosis was unusually dirty fuel injectors which they said they could clean in a few days. A week later, the dealership called to tell us the car door was damaged and they needed more time for the body shop to fix. A week after that, they told us that a piece of the cylinder had broken off and that they had sent one of the valves out for repair. The last I heard, the cylinder heads were being worked.

I'm not a mechanic, but this sounds pretty serious. It seems like the dealership is hiding issues.

Has anyone had a similar problem like this? I have read about fuel injector problems in Mini's on other forums, but not with something as significant as a broken cylinder. I'm still trying to decide if the problem is with the quality of the Mini or the dealership that is working the problem. There doesn't seem to be any urgency on their part to fix the car or let me know what is happening. Is this the same experience others have had when dealing with issues? Is BMW usually more responsive in addressing these kinds of issues?

I have contacted BMW/Mini corporate to discuss options, but they have not gotten back to me after initial contact. I am close to contacting a lemon lawyer to address the issue.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Riffler
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffler View Post
Hi all.
A week later, the dealership called to tell us the car door was damaged and they needed more time for the body shop to fix. A week after that, they told us that a piece of the cylinder had broken off and that they had sent one of the valves out for repair. The last I heard, the cylinder heads were being worked.

Riffler
Damaged door? Sounds like someone was driving your Mini or took it home. Any excessive mileage since they took possession?
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Old 05-06-2010, 01:32 PM
I just don't get it?

Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEX View Post
Damaged door? Sounds like someone was driving your Mini or took it home. Any excessive mileage since they took possession?
Agree...this doesn't sound right at all. If they are working on the car...it should be in the shop on the rack, right? How can someone wreck it there...

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
2008 BMW 335xi
2006 MINI Cooper S Convertible
2011 Ford Edge Limited
Old 05-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Mini Cooper S
I definitely feel something is not right. The original problem was determined to be a fuel injector problem, then a week or so later it turned into a broken cylinder problem. I have not seen the car since I took it in, so I'm not sure what the damage to the 'door' was. It just seems like they are stalling.

I spoke with the Mini Rep yesterday and all he did was have the service department contact me. Nothing else.

The latest status from Tuesday was that another cylinder part was ordered after they determined there was a factory defect within the cylinder, so i'm guessing another week at least. It would have been faster and probably cheaper to just drop in a new engine.

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to keep my whining down...
Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffler View Post
I definitely feel something is not right. The original problem was determined to be a fuel injector problem, then a week or so later it turned into a broken cylinder problem. I have not seen the car since I took it in, so I'm not sure what the damage to the 'door' was. It just seems like they are stalling.

I spoke with the Mini Rep yesterday and all he did was have the service department contact me. Nothing else.

The latest status from Tuesday was that another cylinder part was ordered after they determined there was a factory defect within the cylinder, so i'm guessing another week at least. It would have been faster and probably cheaper to just drop in a new engine.

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to keep my whining down...
After 6 1/2 weeks, I wouldn't call it whining. The dealer should be more accountable to explaining everything in detail to you so that you can properly evaluate your options. Good luck.
2014 335i xDrive GT Alpine White
2015 X3 xDrive 35i Melbourne Red
2015 M4 Convertible Sakhir Orange (on order)