Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335XI
m6 vs 650i

Looking to get into a 650i vert or m6 convertible. Have read reviews of both. I can get either an 2008 650i for about the same price as a 2007 m6. I plan on using the car as a daily driver, but heard mixed reviews about m6, because of the smg tranny being jerky etc.. I drove a reg 650i and it felt a little slow to me and a little soft as compared to the 2008 335xi that I am driving right now. On the other had I heard the smg tranny is not so great. I will also be driving the car in the NY burbs and the roads are not so great and alot of traffic. Any advise of using the m6 as a daily driver? Also, not that it matters, but I heard gas mileage sucks on m6, not that I mind, just hate stopping at gas station all the time. Is one car more reliable then the other, just wondering if m6 is more likely to have problems. Thanks for the help in my decision
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
if your looking to cruise and occasionally pound your vehicle then the 650 is the way to go but if u want power all the time then no question get the m6.. but i would suggest if you drove the 650 with all the fun buttons engaged and felt it to be abit slow then ur choice is already made.. reliability is not much of a factor cuz u will have warrenty so either way your good.

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 650i Convertible
there's a recent post regarding this question.. so it's worth looking through that too...

I went through the same crossroads and honestly, I can't imagine when and where I would need more power than I already have with the 650i...

the 6 is unique, the M6 is even rarer...

if you plan on owning until warranty expires then selling, I say go for the M6... otherwise, the M6 will definitely cost more to own long term... but you have a longer warranty on the 08 and an 07 M6 may have a year or less of warranty left depending on when it sold... now if both are CPO... that would be great...

in new york, you will average 15mph in traffic and get about 10mpg... considering most new yorkers only travel 5-10 miles one way in the city... that should not be an issue..

but to the people who know, an M6 always gets a second look more than a 650i does.. but to the average people on the street they just saw a bmw that looks different...
HUD, Cold Weather and Sports Package
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Rays Master Piece REM 20" Forged wheels w/ Conti Extreme DWS
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: suburban 2500 8.1, 650i
for me heres the thing, i was looking at that question a few months back and here are the things that made the decision for me

the 650 with 360hp (about 400hp with 2000 dollars worth of dinan preformence parts) has more power then you can realisticaly use in the united states, as a daily driver running back and forth to the store, going over friends houses, taking a quick little trip or sitting in NY traffic, you will NEVER be able to push the 650 to the limits on US roads,

are you going to be taking it to the track or drag strip on a regular basis? are you going to constantly pull up to people at redlights to and challange them? seriously, because if yes is the answer, the M6 is a beast will do for better with an aditionally 100 plus hp

the m5 and m6 is a wonderful, car but honestly what it offers its user is not able to be utilized here in the US.

as for reliability im sure that they are pretty much the same but maintnance on the m6 will be pricey

i am a major proponent of getting what ever you want if you can afford it but with respect to what is the best value for your money, both are great cars, i can afford either, but i cant utilize what additionally power i get with the m6 so i can take advantage of 75 percent of what i get with the 650, or 40 percent of what i get with the m6
Old 04-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: RR Sport SC, GL450
an m6 pulling next to a 650i though, PRICELESS. i find myself driving the cls55 amg a bit more because of this. nothing like being intimidating without saying a word

2012 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes GL450

2010 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 HP SC

2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 650i 6MT SOLD

2008 White Diamond Tricoat Cadillac Escalade SOLD
Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZinMJ3 View Post
an m6 pulling next to a 650i though, PRICELESS. i find myself driving the cls55 amg a bit more because of this. nothing like being intimidating without saying a word
very true... my neighbor across from me has an M6... and the sound of his exhaust is more aggressive/different... but I was following him home one time and we both got home the same time (35-50mph speed limit)

at the end of the day, buy what makes sense... there's a reason M6's are selling for not much more than 650i's... the demand is somewhat limited once warranty is over...

I think the simplest way to figure things out is this:

if you've had more than 1 speeding ticket a year for the last 5 years --- you need an M6 (you won't be happy otherwise)... if you have more fingers one one hand than speeding tickets... either you are the law, live in the middle of nowhere... or you don't really need an m6...

now most people who buy supercars don't really need them either... they are status symbols and the M6 badge does carry a bit more status... so there's practical and then there's bragging rights...
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Nerdy G

i def shoulda sprung for an M6 by docpaulo standards lol... i avg 2 speeding tix a yr for the last 5 yrs the DRA here in NY loves me luckily im lic in FL so no suspensions or revocations.

1998 LS400 Daily driver
Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk650 View Post
i def shoulda sprung for an M6 by docpaulo standards lol... i avg 2 speeding tix a yr for the last 5 yrs the DRA here in NY loves me luckily im lic in FL so no suspensions or revocations.
man... your insurance premium must be crazy... knowing how NY rates are...
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW Individual 650i
I thought about the same thing at one time...M6 or 650i. Like you I drive in traffic and in the suburbs in Baton Rouge. Now Baton Rouge is certainly no NYC, but I could not see getting the power and lil rougher ride of an M6. Troopers are all over the place around here and I just didnt think I would be able to put the M6 to good use. I saw your post on the other board where more guys drive an M6. I think you have gotten excellent advice from all the guys. If you want power and I mean power, go with the M6 if you think you can really put it to the test where you live. Even though the 650i may seem a lil slow for you, the 360 horses is more than you will need for an everyday driver. There are many guys however that drive an M6 as an everyday driver. When you get to this level, hey MPG...throw that out the window. We like our toys, so lets play. Boils down to power versus a lil smoother ride. If you like tech toys, the 650i will have a few more than the M6 but either way you wont go wrong.
2010 BMW Individual 650i - Citrin Black (exterior paint), Contrast Stitching(Rust Brown), Piano Finish Black Trim, Champagne Merino Leather, Anthracite Alacantara Headliner, BMW Individual 19" Wheels, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access Keyless Entry, Heated Front Seats, Automatic High Beams, Lane Departure Warning, Active Cruise Control, Smartphone Integration, Head-up Display, Night Vision, Satellite Radio
Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
I too was at that cross roads and went with the 650i because it just made more sense for me living in NY. Not looking for bragging rights but just a sweet ride. Ultimately you will make the best choice that is right for you. Good luck

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I've owned both and, while I cannot speak for NYC area drivers, I've noticed a distinct increase in respect given to the M6 by drivers in my area. What this means is that I don't have nearly as many drivers riding my tail or trying to race me in the M6, as I had experienced in the 645 and 650. I agree with everyone else here, though, that either car is a great ride and which one is better really depends on you.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 05-01-2010, 08:12 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
M6 for the increased throttle response and HP
Old 05-01-2010, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: suburban 2500 8.1, 650i
throattle response can be adjusted with dinan software, additionally dinan can get another 30 or 40 hp out of the car for about 2 grand, with the being said, its my opinion that you unless tracked you cant utilize the additionally hp in US traffic. that 500 hp is going to be nice when i gun it to i reach the next portion of traffic backed up on 95 because of a slow diving truck in the fast lane

for me, the M6 and its v10 is a work of art, and if it wasnt for me living on the east coast where roads and traffic are ****, it may be an viable option, but outside of the name plate the m6 cant give me anything that i can utilize

i equalte getting an m6 on the east coast to getting a barret m82 .50 sniper rifle while only having access to a 50 yard range, is it awsome, yes, is it masterpiece in terms of enginering preformence, yeah, is it somthing that not many have, yes, can it preform great at 50 yards yes. but not being able to streach it legs and take 1500 yard shots on a regular basis really leaves alot of untapped potential going to waste.

is there anything wrong with gettign such a master piece when it will rarely be used, of course not, this is the USA, just in terms of value i think the 650 is far better option for me,

just an opinion and we all know those are like assholes, everybody got one
Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Mercedes Benz S550
Why don't you just go with the Cl63. Hands down BMW cant stand a chance next to a Benz.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post

i equalte getting an m6 on the east coast to getting a barret m82 .50 sniper rifle while only having access to a 50 yard range, is it awsome, yes, is it masterpiece in terms of enginering preformence, yeah, is it somthing that not many have, yes, can it preform great at 50 yards yes. but not being able to streach it legs and take 1500 yard shots on a regular basis really leaves alot of untapped potential going to waste.

is there anything wrong with gettign such a master piece when it will rarely be used, of course not, this is the USA, just in terms of value i think the 650 is far better option for me,

just an opinion and we all know those are like assholes, everybody got one
very true... but a .50 cal still gets the job done at 5 dollars a shot... and gives you bragging rights that's hard to top.. but makes almost no sense otherwise..
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I read about comparisons of the M6 and 650, and opinions like it's not worth owning the M unless you can track it, and I think to myself that those folks just don't know. Throw the M6 into and through some turns at speed or blip the SMG to shoot through a blind spot in highway traffic and you'll understand the utter sexiness and fun of this car.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
I read about comparisons of the M6 and 650, and opinions like it's not worth owning the M unless you can track it, and I think to myself that those folks just don't know. Throw the M6 into and through some turns at speed or blip the SMG to shoot through a blind spot in highway traffic and you'll understand the utter sexiness and fun of this car.
you are correct in that it's a different perpective to compare both cars when you don't own an M6...
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BWM 645ci
The cost of the smg transmission (parts only) is $14,000. ouch!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Nerdy G

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT20THREE View Post
The cost of the smg transmission (parts only) is $14,000. ouch!
if you are concerned about repair costs 1. you should get a vehicle with plenty warrenty left or 2. stay away from the 6 series all together they are expensive to repair in general.

1998 LS400 Daily driver