Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Now THIS is a BMW Fanatic!

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

Car-lover buried under one-ton granite carving ... of a BMW

Some cemetery bosses reel in horror at the mere thought of a teddy bear in their graveyard. They consider cuddly toys and trinkets tacky and inappropriate in a sombre setting.

Other managers, it would seem, take a more relaxed approach.

When car fanatic Steve Marsh died last year, aged 51, his family wanted to mark his passing with a big gesture.

And after getting permission from the authorities they came up with this headstone - in the shape of his favourite BMW M3 convertible.
Steve Marsh's grave

Fitting tribute: The family of car enthusiast Steve Marsh have had a replica BMW carved to mark his grave

The granite scale model, which had to be imported from the Far East, cost around £50,000 - almost as much as the real thing.

However, eyebrows are already being raised - with locals questioning how it was allowed, and what it could lead to next.

Weighing one ton, the BMW sculpture had to be lowered over Mr Marsh's grave by crane in an operation involving 20 people.

The detailed design includes silver-painted lights, a complete dashboard and tiny BMW logos on the wheels. It even has the personalised number-plate: 'Steve 1'.

Mr Marsh, who was known as 'BMW Steve' because of his love of the cars, died in his sleep last April. He had been suffering heart problems.

His wife Joanne, 51, and children Kerry, 31, and Vincent, 27, from Forest Gate, East London, drew up the designs for the headstone with the help of a stone mason.
Steve Marsh's grave

Replica model: The BMW on Mr Marsh's grave is made of granite and even has a joke parking ticket

After the blueprints were approved by the manager of Manor Park cemetery, they ordered the black granite car from China.

The family unveiled the headstone at a memorial service on the first anniversary of engineer Mr Marsh's death on April 23, which was attended by 50 mourners.

In keeping with his sense of humour, a joke parking ticket was placed under the windscreen wipers for the service.

Mr Marsh's daughter, Kerry, said: 'He was a car enthusiast all his life, he loved cars from a child. When Mum was in labour with me my Dad was outside fixing the nurse's car and got a page when it was time to come inside.

'He always drove BMWs, we've all got them. We couldn't just give him a normal headstone.

'We wanted it to look as realistic as possible. We had a lot of trouble getting it done. We had to order it from China and have it shipped over.

'It weighs about a ton and was made out of one piece of granite. I think my Dad would absolutely love it.'
Steve Marsh

Sadly missed: Mr Marsh worked as an engineer for Ford and had loved cars since he was a child. He died from an undiagnosed heart problem

Some locals, however, are concerned the headstone could open the floodgates to other 'novelty' graves.

A gatekeeper at the cemetery, who did not wish to be named, said: 'I was very surprised they were allowed to have it. They certainly wouldn't allow that at City of London cemetery.

'I said to the manager, "people are going to want all sorts now". I wouldn't be surprised if the next thing people are asking for is a bus. I think it's possible it could be targeted by vandals.'

Local resident Rene Dryden, 33, a mental health therapist, added: 'You have to admit it's totally different to everything else around it.

'It's definitely not my taste. I think some people will say it's tacky and it could end up as a target to be vandalized.

'It could open the floodgates for anything to be built in a cemetery. When I walked past it the other day, though, I have to admit it did make me smile.'

Source - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng---BMW.html#
Title - Thanks to Goughie on www.E46Fanatics.com

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Headstone.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	228911   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Headstone_1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	228912  

This article has been viewed 2406 times.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2007 530xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Car-lover buried under one-ton granite carving ... of a BMW

Some cemetery bosses reel in horror at the mere thought of a teddy bear in their graveyard. They consider cuddly toys and trinkets tacky and inappropriate in a sombre setting.

Other managers, it would seem, take a more relaxed approach.

When car fanatic Steve Marsh died last year, aged 51, his family wanted to mark his passing with a big gesture.

And after getting permission from the authorities they came up with this headstone - in the shape of his favourite BMW M3 convertible.
Steve Marsh's grave

Fitting tribute: The family of car enthusiast Steve Marsh have had a replica BMW carved to mark his grave

The granite scale model, which had to be imported from the Far East, cost around £50,000 - almost as much as the real thing.

However, eyebrows are already being raised - with locals questioning how it was allowed, and what it could lead to next.

Weighing one ton, the BMW sculpture had to be lowered over Mr Marsh's grave by crane in an operation involving 20 people.

The detailed design includes silver-painted lights, a complete dashboard and tiny BMW logos on the wheels. It even has the personalised number-plate: 'Steve 1'.

Mr Marsh, who was known as 'BMW Steve' because of his love of the cars, died in his sleep last April. He had been suffering heart problems.

His wife Joanne, 51, and children Kerry, 31, and Vincent, 27, from Forest Gate, East London, drew up the designs for the headstone with the help of a stone mason.
Steve Marsh's grave

Replica model: The BMW on Mr Marsh's grave is made of granite and even has a joke parking ticket

After the blueprints were approved by the manager of Manor Park cemetery, they ordered the black granite car from China.

The family unveiled the headstone at a memorial service on the first anniversary of engineer Mr Marsh's death on April 23, which was attended by 50 mourners.

In keeping with his sense of humour, a joke parking ticket was placed under the windscreen wipers for the service.

Mr Marsh's daughter, Kerry, said: 'He was a car enthusiast all his life, he loved cars from a child. When Mum was in labour with me my Dad was outside fixing the nurse's car and got a page when it was time to come inside.

'He always drove BMWs, we've all got them. We couldn't just give him a normal headstone.

'We wanted it to look as realistic as possible. We had a lot of trouble getting it done. We had to order it from China and have it shipped over.

'It weighs about a ton and was made out of one piece of granite. I think my Dad would absolutely love it.'
Steve Marsh

Sadly missed: Mr Marsh worked as an engineer for Ford and had loved cars since he was a child. He died from an undiagnosed heart problem

Some locals, however, are concerned the headstone could open the floodgates to other 'novelty' graves.

A gatekeeper at the cemetery, who did not wish to be named, said: 'I was very surprised they were allowed to have it. They certainly wouldn't allow that at City of London cemetery.

'I said to the manager, "people are going to want all sorts now". I wouldn't be surprised if the next thing people are asking for is a bus. I think it's possible it could be targeted by vandals.'

Local resident Rene Dryden, 33, a mental health therapist, added: 'You have to admit it's totally different to everything else around it.

'It's definitely not my taste. I think some people will say it's tacky and it could end up as a target to be vandalized.

'It could open the floodgates for anything to be built in a cemetery. When I walked past it the other day, though, I have to admit it did make me smile.'

Source - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng---BMW.html#
Title - Thanks to Goughie on www.E46Fanatics.com
Wow!! May he rest in peace with his BMW close by.
2007 530xiT -- Titanium Silver / Black Dakota / Nav / PP / Step / Sirius / HD / CWP / CA /Rear shades / 2 Diono Monterey Booster Seats in Pink :>) / Hüper Optik tint -- Ordered 08/19/06 -- Delivered 10/17/06 -- 59 days order to delivery.

"Money is a strange business. People who haven't got it aim at it strongly. People who have it are full of troubles." -- Ayrton Senna

BMW CCA Member
Old 05-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Pfff... Only in America.

mw
Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Pfff... Only in America.

mw
not in america...... london

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 05-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk650 View Post
not in america...... london
Oh rly???

mw
Old 05-07-2010, 07:05 AM