Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 AM
bimmer4life

Mein Auto: 03 745li
03 745Li - Transmission tranny clunk/jerk 3 to 4

Hello BMW fans i got a few questions ... any reply would be appreciated!
So, yes its another tranny issue, unlike any other posts that I have read, i guess i do have a unique problem. I just got this 03 745li after my 06 530i and I am solely dissapointed. Ever since I had it, it spent more time in a mechanics shop, anyhow my problem is that i get think harsh clunk/jerk in the transmission(supposedly, it seems like its coming from left drivers side down at the front closer to engine) when I first start driving usually its from 3rd to 4th gear if driving in regular. If i switch to manual(triptonic) it does the same thing but from 2nd to 3rd. Now, its just a one time clunk, when i first start driving and thats it, no clunk anymore no matter how long i drive. However, the feel of the driveshaft is weird, as though its kind of loose in a way and sometimes i get noticeably harsh downshifts from 2 to 1. I've had several people look at it, the transmission fluid was changed, the tranny was reprogrammed/updated by dealer, guibo/flex disc inspected, front left arm control changed, transmission reset and still the problem is there. I'm think about getting this over with and taking apart the driveshaft this week and see if I can find anything wrong with the center bearing or the rear CV joint. But yes if anyone had a similar problem or is experiencing a similar problem, please reply.

I also heard that some had the same problem and had their tranny reprogrammed/updated up to 3 times and then the problem stopped. However, I'm not 100% sure its the tranny alone since i get that weird feeling of the drive shaft actually beeing loose in a way...

again thanx ...waiting for replies ....

03 745li, fully loaded ...
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Wilassasin

Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
Bro this has been posted all over this site u sure u searched this?? This has been discussed ur answer should be in previous posts... Good luck!

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 AM
bimmer4life

Yeah man I did...it seems as though everyone else problem was the harsh downshifts 3 to 2 and 5 to 4th...
Which I usually dont get, its that 3rd to 4th clunk i cant get rid of.... and a feeling of a loose driveshaft...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Fortunately the driveshaft is pretty easy to pull down if you are looking to inspect yourself -- take down the exhaust system, pull off the heat shields, unbolt the CV joint and guibo joint / flex disc, and pull out. Guibo joint is easy to replace while there (in case it hasn't been replaced yet and you have high mileage). My guibo joint / flex disc / universal joint replacement procedure thread --> here.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 AM
bimmer4life

Thanx a lot Kief! those are great pics...thats exactly what my project is for this week )

Soo after you replaced yours? have you felt any difference ? ....

Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Yeah, it did tighten up the slack that I felt around the driveshaft. I'm happy with the replacement; it did what I expected. I'm not saying it will necessarily do the same for yours, but it worked for mine and it was another excuse to pull the car apart. =] Also, I had to replace this same part on a car of mine in high school (E3 / Bavaria / 3.0s), so I already knew what it felt like, and was pretty confident in the issue -- or at least a contributing factor. A little background: mine is a 2002 with about 140K miles. With that age and mileage, I knew this replacement would be on the horizon soon anyway.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
bimmer4life

Alrighty than i will go ahead and start my project tomorrow. By the way scratch that bull i talked about tranny, this might not be a tranny issue after all. Today i tried one more troubleshooting test: I drove in manual and interestingly enough the jerk/clunk appeared as always, however not when i shifted but just in second gear when i reached certain speed. This leads me to think that its the drive shaft cause even more... So im hoping to get to the bottom of this, since none of my mechanics including dealer couldnt figure out sh**. pardon my french, but at times they are just useless.. Anyhow Thanks for replies guys! And thats nice car you got There kief 740il n 745li...i've had both... Have you tried any 5's yet? Im still thinking that the 530i i've had is the best car ever...