Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Unhappy Need info on zf 4hp22 transmission,free wheels in auto mode from 1st

I'm new here and I'm hoping to find someone that knows this zf4hp22eh trans. I've only had this car for a short while and it worked fine but then something happened and now it will not complete any up shifts from 1st when it is in the auto (E) mode. It will start out fine in first, and then when you reach the shift speed it releases first but will not grab 2nd. It is also not possible to get it into 3rd or overdrive when in this mode. Now, the strange thing is that you can shift it thru the gears in the 123 mode. But again that means you can never get it into overdrive! It would seem to me that the transmission solenoids must all be working and the problem would be in the controller but I am not able to confirm that. Can anyone please give me any additional insight as to how to diagnose and repair this? It has already been 'checked' by a shop that now wants $150 to "pinpoint" the electrical problem. What's up with this 'free' diagnostic that turns into $75/hr/2 hr. min? I'm very mechanical, a computer/electronics tech, so I'm sure I can fix this if I can just identify the actual problem. Also, can anyone possibly provide a schematic on the tranny controller? Thanks in advance.
Also, I would like to purchase the ATSG MANUAL for this transmission but it needs to be the 1992 version, they seem to have removed the EH info from the newer books. Does anyone have one of these that they would be willing to sell, or possible sell me a copy?
Thanks

Problem solved. It does not make sense to me but the kickdown switch under the gas pedal was stuck/shorted so the computer thought the car was always trying to pass. Even in passing mode I would think you would hit a shift point and not hang in between gears. Disconnected switch, transmission shifts normally again. SHEEESH!

Last edited by geekbob326; 12-01-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Ads by Google
Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 535i 1990
HOW DID YOU REMOVE THE KICKDOWN SWITCH I AHVE A BOOK BUT THAT SECTION IS MISSING BECAUSE THE BOOK CAME WITH CAR i GUESS THE PREVIOUS OWNER MUST OF RIPPED IT OUTWHICH MAKES ME VERY UNCOMFORTABLE
Old 05-15-2010, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Hi, First, I accidentally broke the wire connector trying to remove it from the switch, you have to carefully remove that connector. The switch is under the gas pedal, inside of the car. After removing the connector the switch will unscrew out of the floor board, it is directly threaded into the floor. Mine's an '87, I assume them to all be the same. Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:00 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekbob326 View Post
Hi, First, I accidentally broke the wire connector trying to remove it from the switch, you have to carefully remove that connector. The switch is under the gas pedal, inside of the car. After removing the connector the switch will unscrew out of the floor board, it is directly threaded into the floor. Mine's an '87, I assume them to all be the same. Hope this helps.
Good stuff to know. Anything on the floor of the car is subject to rust and corrosion. This is potentially a problem for alot of cars.