Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X6 5.0
2009 x6

Hi, new to the forum. Looking at a couple 2009 X6 V8's. A couple questions, is the V8 worth the extra $$$ over the 6? Seems like the gap closes pretty fast when you start adding options. I am looking to lease, is the residual better with the 6 cyl?

Any regrets with the X6?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2010 X6 5.0
Low Note

Hi Roadking,

I have an X6 5.0 on 112 order status (lease), and can definitely tell you that the difference in payments (comparing apples to apples) between the 3.5 and 5.0 is less than 100 bucks a month. Residuals on 5.0 are higher right now, and money factor is lower (.00175 for 5.0 vs. .00190) for 3.5. I drove both versions of this vehicle, and can tell you that the 5.0 is much better IF you want to have something that will challenge your driving chops everyday. It isn't a matter of the extra power (although that certainly doesn't hurt). It's more a huge difference in driving dynamics betweent the two, which is immediately apparent when doing a back to back audition.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 AM

I spent some time at the dealership last night and drove the 5.0. Very nice. For a large vehicle it hauls! Overall space seems to be decent and with the seats folded down, pretty usable. My only disappointment was the lack of a hitch, not for towing, but for hauling my bikes. It seems BMW has a bike carrier that mounts into the tow hooks which may solve my issue. I have the color choice down to Mineral Silver with black or chateau interior. I am leaning towards the sport package, heated seats, sat radio. Seems like the premium package is $2K for not much value. Opinions? Anything else recommended?

Now the buying journey begins. I went in armed with wholesale and current numbers, we will see their willingness to put together a deal.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking40 View Post
I spent some time at the dealership last night and drove the 5.0. Very nice. For a large vehicle it hauls! Overall space seems to be decent and with the seats folded down, pretty usable. My only disappointment was the lack of a hitch, not for towing, but for hauling my bikes. It seems BMW has a bike carrier that mounts into the tow hooks which may solve my issue. I have the color choice down to Mineral Silver with black or chateau interior. I am leaning towards the sport package, heated seats, sat radio. Seems like the premium package is $2K for not much value. Opinions? Anything else recommended?

Now the buying journey begins. I went in armed with wholesale and current numbers, we will see their willingness to put together a deal.
Mineral Silver is really a beautiful color on the X6. Only available on 6 series coupes and X6. Don't know if you have actually seen one in this color, but I went by dealer at different times of day, and color changes depending on the light. It also makes the X6 look like a true work of art in motion. I find that there is plenty of space in the back, especially with the rear seats folded down. Since we don't have any kids (just two very sweet ragdoll cats), no problem with the rear seats. I play the contrabassoon in the National Symphony, and the 58" case for my horn easily fits with only the right second row seat folded down. Almost went for the X5 diesel until I saw the X6, and it was love at first sight. I'm getting almost all options, including ventilated comfort seats, sports package and active steering. Only one suggestion: if you go with the sport package, don't go with the 20" wheels and performance tires if you are going to drive in snow or a lot of rain. I've decided to to with the 19" wheels and all season Bridgestone (yuck) RFT's. I negotiated a deal with total cap cost of $1,000 over invoice. Since BMW has no holdbacks (unlike Mercedes, which has a 5% holdback), they don't have any factory money on the 2010's to put toward their profit margin. I think that since the selling dealer has given me a brand new (and I mean undriven) 2009 328i to drive until my new X6 arrives, he should be able to make a fair profit (given the cost of the vehicle, a thousand bucks is not a lot of profit). Also be careful about dealer markup of money factor. They are allowed to mark this up (my dealer did not) but if they do, they should give a little more up in cost over invoice. Policy with BMW is that if you sell more cars, you get more cars to sell. Right now, in this economy, this may not be important to some dealers with lack of foresight. But when things get better, and more people feel comfortable with buying high end cars, the dealers with more cars to sell will be in a much better position. Just my take on things after having bought 10 BMW's and 17 Mercedes since 1972.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X6 35i
I bought a 2009 X6 35i instead of the V8. For me, it was the difference between a fully-loaded 6 vs a sparsely loaded 8, and I am really loving the options I have. There's a significant difference in power, plus a slight mpg penalty with the 8, but the TT6 is a very good motor. I had a 335i with the same engine prior to the X6, which was simply incredible. The added weight of the X6 is definitely felt, but it's a very good powerplant for the vehicle. The $10k difference between the two engines will buy you some very nice options. But if power is your main objective, you should consider the V8. Drive both.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I bought a 2009 X6 35i instead of the V8. For me, it was the difference between a fully-loaded 6 vs a sparsely loaded 8, and I am really loving the options I have. There's a significant difference in power, plus a slight mpg penalty with the 8, but the TT6 is a very good motor. I had a 335i with the same engine prior to the X6, which was simply incredible. The added weight of the X6 is definitely felt, but it's a very good powerplant for the vehicle. The $10k difference between the two engines will buy you some very nice options. But if power is your main objective, you should consider the V8. Drive both.
Barmats' suggestion is right on. Drive both, and then decide. I went with the 5.0 because I want to be able to legally race the thing, and also drive (once in a while) like I did as a student in the late 1960's in Germany and Austria, with a monstrously fast car on very challenging roads. But the TT6 is one heck of a nice vehicle, and will still handle better than anything elese even close the the massive size of the X6. Also, I suggest you try one with and one without active steering. I got that option because I felt it let me do things that the non-AS vehicle would not. But as they say, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Best wishes in car shopping. Just have fun.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the input. I am in the middle of the negotiation process right now. Needless to say, but the dealers here in AZ seem to be unwilling to deal much. My first quote came back at sticker! This is after I told the guy I had ALL the info, including wholesale pricing, money factors, residual #'s. What a waste of time. My time, as the customer, is valuable. In this market, these dealers need to be selling every single car they can. By the look of the traffic at the dealership, they have way more sales people than customers. I have one more dealer to check in North Scottsdale, hopefully they will get in the ballpark, if not, Vegas & SoCal are not far away. Thanks for the help BTW.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X6 35i
I'm surprised they won't discount heavily on 2009 models. I bought my 09 X6 in early September, and the vehicle I purchased was discounted $8k from its $73k sticker price. Plus, they gave me $2k more for my 335i convertible trade ($40k) than they had previously quoted because they really wantd the sale (and so did I). It shouldn't make any difference whether you finance or purchase, although there may be specific incentives for one vs the other -- they sell the vehicle either way. Good luck with your negotiations!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
commies suck

Mein Auto: X650i, 135i
Look for $10+ K off on '09's

I just leased a brand new 2009 X6 50i, 36 months, 15K miles per year, $5K drive off. $82K+ MSRP..

Selling Price including BMW cash- $69850!!!!!!!!! (Cold Weather, Rear Climate, Premium Pack, Sport Pack with 20" wheels, Premium Sound, Camera, HD Radio, Soft Close Doors, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Smartphone, Black Sapphire with Black Sport Seats).

And the payment..$799 per month.

This is the time of year for great deals if you can find a car you actually want.

My 14th new BMW. 1200 miles on the clock now. Really have fun with it.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 AM

I just heard from my dealer, SunMotorCars BMW in Mechanicsburg, PA that production has already begun on my 2010 X6 5.0. Ordered it only three weeks ago. It should be completed by sometime next week. Amazing. I'll be only putting taxes and lease inception fee up front. Probably going to do a 36 month, 12k mile lease. Only one cent difference for extra mileage prior to ending lease if you go over allowed mileage (it's 15 cents a mile if you buy it up front in the lease, and 16 cents a mile if you pay for it 2 months before end of lease term). Total cap cost on my X6 5.0 is $1,000 over invoice, which represents a 5.5% discount. Not bad on a vehicle that has close to a $85,,000 msrp sticker. I'm sure that I could have done a 2009 for less with a dealer closer to me in northern Virginia or suburban Maryland, but I wanted to have the improved i-drive and hard drive navigation system with top view camera only available on the 2010 models. BTW, top view is really great. Lets you see seven feet all around the vehicle, and can be done with a split screen showing the backup camera as well. Really important when there will be such compromised rear visibility in the X6. Best deal on a 2910 I could find in the local area was considerably more than the a grand over invoice. Since Sun gave me $2,500 more for my traded in Mercedes E-class than the local MB dealer (from whom I had purchased 17 Mercedes since 1990!), and they are loaning me a brand new 328i until my new X6 arrives, I feel like I got a fair deal. Remember, BMW does not have any holdbacks, and a total of 6.5% profit over cost. The 2009 X6 had (and I think still has) approximately $1,750 factory cash back to dealers, so they are able to discount the '09 much more than the '10. BMW has no dealer holdbacks, unlike the 5% holdback for Mercedes. That's because that 5% is taken by BMWUSA to pay for the four year free service. Only thing that BMW dealers get for making more sales is a larger allocation for more new vehicles to sell. When I think about how much it must cost to keep a dealership open, and pay the bills, a one percent profit on a new vehicle sale is pretty slim. And they still have to pay the salesperson a commission.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking40 View Post
Thanks for the input. I am in the middle of the negotiation process right now. Needless to say, but the dealers here in AZ seem to be unwilling to deal much. My first quote came back at sticker! This is after I told the guy I had ALL the info, including wholesale pricing, money factors, residual #'s. What a waste of time. My time, as the customer, is valuable. In this market, these dealers need to be selling every single car they can. By the look of the traffic at the dealership, they have way more sales people than customers. I have one more dealer to check in North Scottsdale, hopefully they will get in the ballpark, if not, Vegas & SoCal are not far away. Thanks for the help BTW.
I had no luck here in AZ at both Chapman and North Scottsdale dealerships. Chapman really made me mad a complete waist of my time! I ended up buying out of state. I went through Car Search.com and just started calling around to see if anyone wanted to make a deal and this had all the options I wanted. The MSRP was $69,000 dropped the price to $61,000 and $700 for shipping. I am doing a lease and did not want the miles on it. Best of luck, but you might want to start looking out of state.

Last edited by X6AZ; 10-16-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Not much I can really add --

Drive em both and see which one best meets your driving and financial needs...I came from a 550 and no issue moving to the TT6..

Now my next one will probably be a 50...Didn't want to spring for the extra $8k-$10k right now - not when my kid needed a car too!

G/L!!
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Old 10-25-2009, 08:53 AM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi m-sport
Also consider MSDs to buy down the money factor. I got a 35i, and dont see a lack of power at all (even with 4 passengers).
Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 AM

I took delivery last Monday on an 2009 X6 5.50. My dealings got surprisingly better at BMW North Scottsdale. They pretty much did the deal I wanted. So far, I am pretty impressed with the vehicle. It is fast, handles well and is still somewhat unique here. Thanks for the help and guidance, much appreciated.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:56 AM

Well then we'd better be seeing some pix eh!???
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 08 x3
May I hijack briefly?

Roadking et al, I have followed this thread with interest as I too have an opportunity to pick up a 2009 x6 50i. It has 11K miles and is totally loaded with every option imagineable, including an extra 2 years free maintenance. Dealer is asking $69,888. Color is black on black. I am smitten with the car and can afford it but it's WAY more spendy than any car I've ever considered so I'm naturally hesitant. Currently drive a 2008 x3, lease ends next month. I've loved it but it does have those infamous tranny issues-- I drive it in manual mode all the time, which is cool and I'd be doing that anyway. What do you guys think about this price for the x6? I'm trying to talk them down to the low 60's. Thanks! Please update us on your vehicle Roadking.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti M45
sounds a bit expensive since the msrp on a fully loaded is $82K and the invoice is probably closer to $76-77, so I would think you should not pay more than $65K for this.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X6 xDrive50i
It's hard to say without knowing the exact option list, but I'm in the process of ordering a "fully-loaded" 2011 X6 50i. My cost will be about $78K (pre-tax, etc.). I'd therefore concur that it sounds pretty high...

Last edited by MarkInOhio; 04-09-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 08 x3
Thanks gents. I plugged into Kelley Blue Book's pricing computer module and surprisingly, with all the options, at this mileage, and in excellent condition, they say the car is worth over $80K from a dealer (as opposed to private seller). This does not even account for CPO and extra warranty. If a new rig lists for 82K fully loaded I have no idea how this jibes. Sounds like you did OK on your price there, MarkInOhio. They told me today via e-mail they would do $67K plus tax. I'm going to try to push closer to 65.

Anybody think the hatch is too high, or have any major complaints/regrets? Worth the high price? Brutal honesty requested.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 AM

I just traded my 35i in for 50i....Dealer made me a deal I could not refuse The TT V8 is as awesome as advertised...

After going through a real midwest winter with the X Drive I can tell you it is fantastic...Now keep in mind I had snows on and my 20's were in proper storage....Hell, I could have traveled through the Antartic with no problem.

The 50i is fast as hell..I kept up with a new Chrysler SuperBee but had to let up due to the fact I'm still in break-in. I think I surprised the hell out of that guy

Mine is a 2010 and the new idrive is a significant improvement over 1st gen.

Yah - the back is very high which makes it a PIA with my lab puppy -- but my wife's RX350 has the same problem....We'll probably end-up with a ramp.

X6 is not for everyone...But for me and my needs? Not sure there is one single vehicle that does it all as well...