Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Transmission Surging Fix

First time on a forum in a while, but had to get on since many of you have experienced exactly the problem I encountered beginning early 2009 with my 2005 545; transmission surge. Took the car in 3 or 4 times (under warranty) with little to no success. Finally, with 1 week to go on my standard warranty, the transmission was replaced with only 46k miles driven. Very frustrating, but the new transmission seems to be working well.

May not help those out of warranty, but the tech explained the problem as follows (please accept my layman's paraphrase):

The "surge," which feels like someone has run into the back of the car, may be a result of the "bands" slipping (using this term loosely). Basically, as the car decelerates (as in my case while coming to a stop sign), the transmission was still engaged in a higher gear (say 3rd), then when I accelerated again (needing 1st gear, for instance), the "slack" created resulted in a jolt once the gears re-engaged at the lower gear. Basically, the transmission is slipping.

On this thread, another user indicated a problem with the transmission error message indicating low fluid level. I've had the same problem for over a year. The BMW guys pressure tested the radiator on two occasions, and finally replaced a few hoses. Seemed the problem went away, for a while. Coolant is still leaking out from somewhere, however, but it seems to evaporate (thus the difficulty in finding the leak). I've grown accustomed to topping off the coolant every month, but it's getting old. My 3 series never had this problem in over 5 years. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdel545i View Post
First time on a forum in a while, but had to get on since many of you have experienced exactly the problem I encountered beginning early 2009 with my 2005 545; transmission surge. Took the car in 3 or 4 times (under warranty) with little to no success. Finally, with 1 week to go on my standard warranty, the transmission was replaced with only 46k miles driven. Very frustrating, but the new transmission seems to be working well.

May not help those out of warranty, but the tech explained the problem as follows (please accept my layman's paraphrase):

The "surge," which feels like someone has run into the back of the car, may be a result of the "bands" slipping (using this term loosely). Basically, as the car decelerates (as in my case while coming to a stop sign), the transmission was still engaged in a higher gear (say 3rd), then when I accelerated again (needing 1st gear, for instance), the "slack" created resulted in a jolt once the gears re-engaged at the lower gear. Basically, the transmission is slipping.

On this thread, another user indicated a problem with the transmission error message indicating low fluid level. I've had the same problem for over a year. The BMW guys pressure tested the radiator on two occasions, and finally replaced a few hoses. Seemed the problem went away, for a while. Coolant is still leaking out from somewhere, however, but it seems to evaporate (thus the difficulty in finding the leak). I've grown accustomed to topping off the coolant every month, but it's getting old. My 3 series never had this problem in over 5 years. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I think I know what you guys mean about the transmission surge. The 1st gear is a very short gear. It goes all the way to 40. Tons of HP and Torque when you start climbing rpm you can feel it. If it does not shift to 2nd you feel all the pedal presses. This is a 545i not a 530i or lower. Shifting to 2nd gear is kind of harsh but if you notice when the M5 shifts its way more harsh.

As for shifting from 2nd to 3rd and higher I don't have any problems that I encountered with harsh tranmission gear shifting.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
The car had a recall.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2005/...lls/index.html

It affects the parking lock but doesn't say anything about any other gear.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
I had a recall on the Air Bag as described. And on the recall it reads:

DEALERS WILL REWORK THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT SO THAT EXTERNAL FORCE APPLICATION TO THE SEAT DOES NOT CAUSE A CRACK TO THE MAT. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 6, 2008. BMW WILL ALSO EXTEND THE WARRANTY ON THESE VEHICLES TO 10 YEARS FROM FIRST REGISTRATION WITHOUT ANY MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.

Thus, wondering if i have the extended warranty for 10 years, i should be able to use this against the transmission issue correct?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttough View Post
I had a recall on the Air Bag as described. And on the recall it reads:

DEALERS WILL REWORK THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT SO THAT EXTERNAL FORCE APPLICATION TO THE SEAT DOES NOT CAUSE A CRACK TO THE MAT. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 6, 2008. BMW WILL ALSO EXTEND THE WARRANTY ON THESE VEHICLES TO 10 YEARS FROM FIRST REGISTRATION WITHOUT ANY MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.

Thus, wondering if i have the extended warranty for 10 years, i should be able to use this against the transmission issue correct?
I believe it's extended warranty on that part only. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
FYI, my car has been doing this for more than 1 month. This past weekend, my wife turned on the car and got an "Engine malfunction, Increased Emissions" alert and the car was shaking very badly. We took it in and they said they had to submit a PUMA case.

"As per puma address mis fire fault with line 2 first"

"Misfire fault with cylinder 2. Swapped out coil pack two with one. and Spark plug two with three" They did a test drive and found another misfire on cylinder one. Replaced defective coil pack in cylinder one.

so cost was $450. ???? It drive fine now but it's only been the 1st day. We'll see if it has fixed the problem.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's 545i View Post
Update!

Well, you can look at page 3 for the issues I experienced with my transmission. Pretty much had a bad repeating slip/slamming at low rpms between 35-40 mph. I experienced a couple really rough ones (felt like the rear end may lock up) but mostly a light slipping sensation.

So, i've had my new mechatronics unit in for about 2 weeks now. I've put a bunch of miles on it and it seems to have taken care of the issue I was having. It sounds like many others seem to be running into issues very similar to mine. I hope this info helps everyone out. As BMWNA logs more of these issues maybe it will be easier to get repairs goodwilled. The problems seem to be becoming more prominent.
You would think with all of the Toyota news, BMW would go ahead and take care of this. A recall needs to be done.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
surges trans reprogram

Hello. I actually found this site while doing a search on 545i transmission update. I have had the same thing going on with my car like others have described a sense of surging and loss of power. Anway, long story short took the car in to get a leak looked at they replaced the parts under warranty and then I noticed the surging. I took the car back this Mon b/c of the surging and b/c it still had a small leak. I just got call that it has a cracked pan and it was leaking transmission fluid. The service rep said it may have contributed to the surging issue. But he also recommended to do a software transmission update that BMW specifically rolled out to cure the problem. Well I read another person on this thread saying that it was just a program issue so I told the rep to go ahead and do it. At 135.00 I figured it would give me a sense of ease knowing that I tried that too since it will be going off CPO warranty in August. I'll share some more once I get the car back.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Refreshing info as my dealer says the car's ('05 545) "fuel-saving" program tells it to up-shift when cruising at about 37 mph and I should shift it into sport mode to keep the car from surging. This tactic does indeed keep the car from surging at this speed but it consumes more fuel and the transmission shouldn't behave this way. Looks like from these threads there is a software fix and it's covered under warranty. I'm calling my dealer now. Still kicking myself from parting with my beloved '94 540.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
'05 545 transmission surge

My trans issue is a subtle power loss at about 37 mph. Sort of a stutter. Dealer hasn't been able to replicate the issue. Each time after a service, the problem is gone, then reappears about two weeks later. Dealer suggested I shift the trans to sport mode. This takes care of the surge but means I burn more fuel and have to shift back and forth. Unacceptable. Dealer told me the MECHATRONICS fix referenced in these pages is not for the 545, but for the 6 series. I'm taking my car back to the dealer as I think I can demonstrate the problem during a road test BEFORE a service.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: '04 545i, 01 740il
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbsf22 View Post
My trans issue is a subtle power loss at about 37 mph. Sort of a stutter. Dealer hasn't been able to replicate the issue. Each time after a service, the problem is gone, then reappears about two weeks later. Dealer suggested I shift the trans to sport mode. This takes care of the surge but means I burn more fuel and have to shift back and forth. Unacceptable. Dealer told me the MECHATRONICS fix referenced in these pages is not for the 545, but for the 6 series. I'm taking my car back to the dealer as I think I can demonstrate the problem during a road test BEFORE a service.
That's a bunch of b.s. if you ask me. Yeah changing into sport mode will hold the gear and reduce the slipping feel but the problem is still there. It's an expensive car that you shouldn't have to change into sport mode to work properly. Secondly this same tranny is in the 745 and albeit it a slight bit different its in the X5...didn't look it up but assume its in the early 6's as well. I know many in the 7 complain abou the stopping slam. Mine seemed to be like yours...it would come and go and ever happened with the tech. He drove it for days with nothing. Anyhow it did get a lot worse to the point i thought the tranny and rear end was going to fall out. Finally got bmwna to goodwill the part a few months ago and have had 0 issues since.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 525i 2004
Well, my problem, same when going on highway. I finally had a message that my transmission was bad at 60,000. After flushing the fluids twice, finally had to be replaced. Really disappointed with the overall maintenance of the 2004 model. It seems like I have to go to the mechanic's shop every six months.
I am debating on what new car to buy. I am afraid I will be spending more time fixing this car. From the first day I took possession of this car, it was a problem. But here I am six running to seven years, I am still driving the dang thing 'coz I love it.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
Aftermarket Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Sea View Post
Perhaps my experience will help others. Sorry if this is too lengthy.

Last Monday I took my 2005 545 in for service with this comment:
"The car goes through periods where a series of shocks go through the drive train while driving. They happen when the car is running on light throttle, like cruising. They feel like rough shifts but the RPMs don’t change. It has been happening off and on for the last 6 months but has not been consistent enough to think that it would do it when brought in for service. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that it was happening in “S” mode at 60 to 70 mph almost every time. In drive mode it happens around 30 to 40 mph. In drive there will be a series of jerks and then a shift where I can see the RPMs drop. In “S” I get a series of jerks that don’t seem to stop until I move the control to drive and then I get a hard shift into top gear. The speeds are pretty consistent. I only get the jerks in drive around 30 to 40 and only get the jerks in “S” around 60 to 70. Running up through the gears with the transmission shifting itself seems normal with no rough or hard shifts. It is only in the “cruising” part throttle situation where it shows up."

I am 8 months out of warranty and used my aftermarket warranty on this car for the first time.
The diagnosis was "Issue occurs in 5th gear regardless of manual/sport drive setting. Mechatronics/valve body is faulty and requires replacement along with use of new trans oil."
The bill was $4151.81. The dealer (Crevier in Santa Ana, CA) did have to get approval from the warranty adjuster. My payment was $100.00. (Yes I was 'repaid' my warranty cost on the first use.)

I picked the car up last night and, so far, everything is normal. The hard shift when moving from S to drive at freeway speeds is gone.

The part number on the invoice is 24-34-7-571-233 and is listed as "RMFD Mechatronics" a rebuilt unit. Unit price $2919.27. Also listed is 12 1/2 liters of oil (I'm assuming trans fuid). Labor was $870.00.
Who do you have your aftermarket warranty with? Thanks,
Old 05-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jophine13 View Post
Well, my problem, same when going on highway. I finally had a message that my transmission was bad at 60,000. After flushing the fluids twice, finally had to be replaced. Really disappointed with the overall maintenance of the 2004 model. It seems like I have to go to the mechanic's shop every six months.
I am debating on what new car to buy. I am afraid I will be spending more time fixing this car. From the first day I took possession of this car, it was a problem. But here I am six running to seven years, I am still driving the dang thing 'coz I love it.
How much did the replacement transmission cost?

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
5 pages worth of reasons why I never have and never will own an automatic.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: Ex - '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's 545i View Post
That's a bunch of b.s. if you ask me. Yeah changing into sport mode will hold the gear and reduce the slipping feel but the problem is still there. It's an expensive car that you shouldn't have to change into sport mode to work properly. Secondly this same tranny is in the 745 and albeit it a slight bit different its in the X5...didn't look it up but assume its in the early 6's as well. I know many in the 7 complain abou the stopping slam. Mine seemed to be like yours...it would come and go and ever happened with the tech. He drove it for days with nothing. Anyhow it did get a lot worse to the point i thought the tranny and rear end was going to fall out. Finally got bmwna to goodwill the part a few months ago and have had 0 issues since.
I've been monitoring this thread for a while. My car went in today for the second time in 2 weeks with the "hiccups" as my daughter calls them. Same hesitation between 30-40 mph as everyone else, only its slightly worse this time than last and they happen about 10 secs apart as opposed to 20-30 secs apart last time. I was getting the shifting slam also, felt like I hit a pothole and got hit from behind at the same time. The first time the car went in, they changed out the transmission sleave which was causing a fluid leak. Fixing the leak seems to have fixed the slam, but not the hiccups. I told the SA about this thread and the mechatronics issue but he so far is hesitant to ask BMW to authorize that repair and replacement. The car is under CPO so BMW will have to eat the cost - probably why they don't want to replace the part. We'll see what they come back with this time, software refresh or something else. If they can't get this fixed, I'm dumping it when CPO is up and finding a CPO 550i with a stick.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 525i
Benn having the same problem also with my '07 525i. It has like a surge or push forward around 1500-1900RPM's around 15-25MPH. I mostly get it when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic, but I usually just barely on the gas. Feels like it wants to shift up hesitates a sec and then I get the surge forward. I have noticed that if I take my foot off the gas I feel a pull like its trying to slow down anybody else experience this?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sports Package
I have this problem as well, and have a used CPO car that expires Apr '11. Its a '05 545i.

In DS mode, cruising steadily between 40-50 mph it jerks but the rpms nver skip a beat(bizarre). Then if I switch to drive mode it goes away but will do it in drive mode when cruising between 50-60.

Freaking annoying.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewils View Post
I've been monitoring this thread for a while. My car went in today for the second time in 2 weeks with the "hiccups" as my daughter calls them. Same hesitation between 30-40 mph as everyone else, only its slightly worse this time than last and they happen about 10 secs apart as opposed to 20-30 secs apart last time. I was getting the shifting slam also, felt like I hit a pothole and got hit from behind at the same time. The first time the car went in, they changed out the transmission sleave which was causing a fluid leak. Fixing the leak seems to have fixed the slam, but not the hiccups. I told the SA about this thread and the mechatronics issue but he so far is hesitant to ask BMW to authorize that repair and replacement. The car is under CPO so BMW will have to eat the cost - probably why they don't want to replace the part. We'll see what they come back with this time, software refresh or something else. If they can't get this fixed, I'm dumping it when CPO is up and finding a CPO 550i with a stick.
You're describing exactly what happened to me. I had a cracked tranny pan that was replaced and had them do the sleeve too. I also had them change the fluid while they had the pan out - this isn't called for in their procedures. At first, my tech thought maybe some of the pins in the sleeve weren't aligned and went in and checked / reset the apaptation values but didn't help.

It started out randomly here and there right after the pan / sleeve replacement, then developed into all the time 20-30 seconds, then repeatedly all the time 10 seconds apart. It was frustrating because the tech drove it for days (lives right near me) and he couldn't get it to do it. I even rode with him and it still wouldn't do it. The damn car knew he was in it! One day the car almost locked up the rear from the "hiccups". I brought it right in (3rd time in shop) and said look I can't drive this anymore as I'm worried the rear's going to fall out. They opened PUMA case and good-willed the part with labor by me. I can PM you costs if you want.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: Ex - '05 545i
My car goes back in on Wednesday, third time to try to fix this. My NEW SA thinks that the computer got messed up from the broken sleeve and leaking fluid and first wants to try to reset the transmission software and computer and then go from there. If it was that easy, I would hope that my prior SA would have been willing to do that, but he was an ass and wasn't willing to be proactive. Don't want to rehash another thread, but the guy wouldn't do anything because the car wasn't giving an error code and said I was making the problem up. As with someone else on this thread, he told me that the 6 series had transmission problems, but not the 5 series and 545i specifically. I think this thread would say otherwise.

Anyway, at least this new SA has a plan of attack, and he went for a test drive with me and felt the hesitations about 37 mph. We'll see what happens. I'll send you a PM if their refresh fix doesn't work.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM

They also reset my adaptation values a few times. It'll feel great the 1st time you drive it after as it has no shift memory. It seemed to keep the hiccups away for a day or 2 but they came back. Seems like your new SA is a little more helpful. They are establishing a history for you at least so it's well documented. Mine didn't throw a code either which is why they didn't really want to open a puma. But they did and my tech / sa pushed pretty hard on my behalf for mechatronics replacement. Let us know how wednesday goes.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Same thing exactly, 35 to 40 mph, surging or shifting - just did the reset with holding the throttle down for a full 90 seconds and it has gone away, but I am not convinced it is gone after reading all the posts. It really is a defect and I am more than willing to participate in a class action. If one person has an accident due to this defect it will cost BMW more than all the recall fixes-or maybe they know it is not going to cost them any personal injury damages.

How long is the replaced Mechatronic unit going to last? 4k dollars every 60,000 miles-what a ripoff!

My car is a 2005 with 58k miles, bought new and driven very moderately
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Well, taking my '04 545i in tomorrow for the same issues listed here: the slam when coming to a stop, stagnation in switching gears around 40mph, and also a leak from what appears to be the transmission, judging by the location on the garage floor.

I am going to print out some of the posts from this thread, and provide it to my SA. I will post what happens. I pray they just replace the Mechatonics unit, or whatever is wrong with it, on the first attempt to resolve the issue. I have about 68,000 miles on the car, and have a thrid-party warranty. I want BMW to pay the whole bill though.

Anything else I should know or note, as I take the vehicle in?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: m5
Hey,just took my 545i to the dealer last week with the leaking tranny-mechatronic sleeve replacement-$1032 invoice. i know a shop thru bimmershops.com and took it there this past monday-had the sleeve replaced for $330. the technician said that it's a common thing and he just did the same thing on 745 the week before.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Leak not the main issue

Did your car have the surging issue as described in the original post?