Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: E61
please visit this topic
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=burned+seat
I'd like to summarise all people who had such problem to make BMW solve it generally.
thanks in advance
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x3
Yes, it happened to me as well my wife was driving the car, and she calls me on the phone and goes: " baby a hole just burned on the seat!!"
I was pissed, what happened was that the element on the seat warmer was malfunctioning so i called BMW customer service and they were more than happy to take care of it for me.
they actually ended up changing the whole seat, so call them up, go to the BMW site and get the number.
But yeah its VERY DANGEROUS and i wish we could sue or something
Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
2006 BMW X3 Seat Warmer

Hi everyone,
Just like the person in 2009 posted, I was driving my X3 with the seat warmer on and noticed a sharp hottness on my left cheek. I thought how warm the seat warmer was getting for some reason. I looked down and there was smoke with a mini flame underneath the now hole in my leather seat. I pulled over turned the heater off and blew on the hole. It burned a hole in my workout pants too. I am about to take this to the dealership, but was hoping someone could tell me if this has happened to anyone else since the 2009 posting by one individual. I am so mad and the dealership said the extended warranty will not cover it (which I do not have anyways) since it is interior!

Thanks for the help
Old 02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Sorry to hear - it burnt your bum - a little - I haven't heard of it till now
Old 02-25-2011, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Do a search there have been lots of those posts over the past couple of years. Not only here but also on the X5 board (and perhaps others) as well. There IS a problem with the seat heater pads and BMW needs to get a new supplier or take care of those that have suffered through the burned bum syndrome.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjq77 View Post
Hi everyone,
Just like the person in 2009 posted, I was driving my X3 with the seat warmer on and noticed a sharp hottness on my left cheek. I thought how warm the seat warmer was getting for some reason. I looked down and there was smoke with a mini flame underneath the now hole in my leather seat. I pulled over turned the heater off and blew on the hole. It burned a hole in my workout pants too. I am about to take this to the dealership, but was hoping someone could tell me if this has happened to anyone else since the 2009 posting by one individual. I am so mad and the dealership said the extended warranty will not cover it (which I do not have anyways) since it is interior!

Thanks for the help

Well my x3 was well outta warranty when it happened, i didnt go to the dealership though, i went higher up.. what i did, i called BMW USA and spoke with someone about it, they called my local dealership and then they called me back and said: "go ahead and set an appointment with your dealership" and they took care of it, they replaced the heat element and the seat and didnt cost me a dime! i believe it was actually a recall.

Anyway go to the BMW website and get the Bmw of north america number.
Hope i could help some
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2004 530i
Seat heater fire on 2004 530

I have had seat issues for years on my 2004 530i, first the pressure sensor (warranty) then the modules for the pressure sensor reporting to the airbag (over $3k).
Now......on my way to work the seat heater burns through the leather and shoots a flame and burns a hole through my suit.

This is not wear issue ...it it a recall issue but after checking there seems to be none.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 PM
sapper

Mein Auto: 02 WRX, 06 X3
Sounds like you should report it to NTSB.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 x3 2.5 premium/sport
I had it happen to me as well. At first BMW said it was not under warranty. I kindly explained to them that if it was not taken care of that I have friends in media that would live the story and that they were lucky my two year old wasnt seated in daddy's chair while daddy was washing the car. I understand that it's not a warranty it's a liability. They agreed to replace the whole seat under "good faith warranty". Thanks BMW.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
X3 Seat fire

Well, it happened to me to, this past weekend, I was driving my X3 with my dogs in the back, felt a terrible prick feeling in my left cheek, and then smelt something burning, and noted smoke ! It did not compute!! I pulled over to see what could be smoking and noted the seat had a burnt out hole in it with the smoke coming out! First thing I though of was to get the dogs out, but as I was on a busy road.... I decided to turn off the seat heater and grabbed a snow ball to put on the smoky hole.... it freaked me out and made be quite angry!

I have a burnt butt and a hole in my pants, and now neither of the heated seats work at all, not that I plan to put them on again until fixed, the fuse did not blow so the wires must have shorted out! I plan to contact my BMW dealer today, but was surprised that this happened!!

Wish me luck!!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: X5
BMW X5 driver seat on fire

BMW X5 car is now driven by me daughter in Columbus. Yesteray while coming back from the hospital (very cold in Columbus) she turned the driver seat heat on.After travelling a very short distance there was a smoke coming out from the seat, it got very hot soon. She turned off the heater and noticed a hole in the leather. She is fine. This is a serious safety issue. I called BMW customer service today, waiting for their response.
Picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X5 Driver Seat .jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	419175  

Last edited by Rajshobha1; 01-27-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistakes
Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Thumbs up BMW Seat update

Just to let you know, I contacted BMW and after a few "hoops" they replaced the seat in my BMW X3. I was grateful for the replacement factor at NO cost to me, with the exception of a burn hole in my coat and jeans! Could have been so much worse, but I was pleased with the outcome - thank you BMW MONCTON.

Last edited by sarahsmile27; 01-27-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Ntsb

There was a recall on the X3's, up through mid year 2006 in spite of many after this date having the same issue. BMW would not repair any not under warranty or under the recall. Search the forum regarding this issue.

Also, look on the NTSB website for all the complaints for this same problem. The best precaution is to NEVER OPERATE seat warmers in any position other than the lowest. Personally I don't know why anyone would anyway, the lowest setting more than does the trick. I heard that broken wires can be the result of kneeling on the seat where a lot of weight is placed within a small area, breaking the heating elements. Someone countered however a few weeks ago, but, a BMW service manager told me this.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 AM
sapper

Don't be so judgmental, everyone is different and entitled to their own opinions, thoughts, and ideas. I start my seat heaters on at 3/3 most of the time. It does get to -30F regularly here. And my friend keeps it on at 3/3 the entire time she's in the car. I really don't know how her butt can stand it, but it's what makes her happy.

Anyways, I hope you can get yours replaced Rajshobha1. I really don't think it's something that should happen, even when the seat is several years old. sarahsmile27 thanks for letting us know that the dealer can be worked with. Fortunately I haven't had any issues, knock on wood. The BMW seat heaters work the best of any car I've ever tried them in. They heat up fast and have a uniform heat.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 sport, 2003 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
... The best precaution is to NEVER OPERATE seat warmers in any position other than the lowest. Personally I don't know why anyone would anyway, the lowest setting more than does the trick.
I'm guessing you don't live in a cold climate. When my X3's been sitting out overnight in -30 weather, it takes about 10 minutes for my seat to actual feel warm on the highest setting. BMW just needs to build a better product or I need to move to Arizona.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Just so we are clear the seat warmer only has two settings, on and off. The temperature is regulated only by adjusting the ratio of on to off, based on the temperature sensor in the seat reading.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:37 PM

And don't forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Just so we are clear the seat warmer only has two settings, on and off. The temperature is regulated only by adjusting the ratio of on to off, based on the temperature sensor in the seat reading.
You may need to top off or even change your seat heater fluid. This can help the system not overheat.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
You may need to top off or even change your seat heater fluid. This can help the system not overheat.
Unfortunately I needed a left handed screwdriver to do mine, so I gave up.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
It will come in handy when changing your headlight fluid, if you have the Xenons.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Left handed screw driver also required to adjust the high speed jets on the rear view mirror. My have gone so far out of whack that I no longer can log 30+ MPG. Can't find an aftermarket version of aforementioned tool and BMW logo item too pricey!
What to do?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis dad View Post
Left handed screw driver also required to adjust the high speed jets on the rear view mirror. My have gone so far out of whack that I no longer can log 30+ MPG. Can't find an aftermarket version of aforementioned tool and BMW logo item too pricey!
What to do?
What you want to do there is get a new bubble for your spirit level and use your solar powered torch to peer behind to realign them.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:44 PM
sapper

Thanks for crapping all over this thread guys. Seriously, if you don't have anything constructive to add, just move along.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 PM

Well it doesn't take a broken seat warmer to burn your butt
Old 02-02-2014, 07:39 PM

My butt, my butt, my butt is on fire!

We don't need no water, let the .m..f. Burn

Haha!

Sometimes you just got to laugh. This is an ancient thread that was resurrected. Let's face it, the SIB and recall on this was for cars that are nearing a decade old. It's rare to hear about it occurring in post LCI cars. If it does happen I highly doubt any of us will still get hooked up by our dealers with good will unless you have an awesome relationship with the dealer.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by x3brian; 02-02-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: x5
What year of x5 is this problem happening to any recalls? Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app