Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosearch View Post
But next time do all the frantic research BEFORE you introduce the new fluids...
I trusted the auto parts guy. I asked "are you sure this is for my BMW". He assured me it was. Obviously, he was wrong; hence, I should not have listened to him.

There's not much here about power steering fluids (PSF); mostly it seems people go with:
- Mobile 1
- Any Dexron III ATF

Based, at least, on these sporadic PSF ATF threads:
What type of ATF to use for PSF?
Dexron II for older BMW PSF
Dexron II or Dexron III for PSF in 3-series

UPDATE: I did call Red Line and spoke to technical support who told me they'd recommend Red Line D4 ATF (which was supposed to meet the Dexron IV proposed specification but GM skipped to a later number but the D4 moniker stuck). When asked about the difference between Dexron II and Dexron III, they said it wasn't a big chemical change ... mostly it was two things, (a) anti-wear chemistry and (b) constant-over-time slipperiness (mostly for use in manual transmissions with low-offset gears).

Strangely, they don't recommend their PSF for manufacturers (such as BMW) who recommend ATF as PSF even though their PSF container (and spec sheet included above) clearly says it meets the Dexron specifications; they told me, quite nicely, that theiir PSF and ATF oils are definitely different.

What I'll do is buy a few quarts of Red Line D4 ATF and do a quickie ad hoc power steering flush DIY

Last edited by bluebee; 10-27-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Some say...

Mein Auto: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
What I'll do is buy a few quarts of Red Line D4 ATF and do a quickie ad hoc power steering flush DIY
This is pretty much what I did when I flushed my PSF.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=990
Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Yup, ATF only. The outside of the reservoir will get mucky, no matter....the reason is there is a vent in the cap. You can replace the o-ring on the cap, but it will make little difference. I even installed a new reservoir, and then was explained about the vent, and that it is normal. So don't get to "anal" about it.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
The outside of the reservoir will get mucky, no matter....the reason is there is a vent in the cap.
Yeah ... the only "solution" to the psf muck from the cap venting I saw was on the utube video previously alluded to.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
This is pretty much what I did when I flushed my PSF.http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=990
I love the shampoo bottle idea!

Muuuch better than my coke bottle and turkey baster approach (on my ATE brake fluid flush).

PS: But ooooh. The towel shows much nicer than ... um .... than ... those whites!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:51 AM

Bad news. It's hard to describe noises but upon subsequent inspection, the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the (now full) steering fluid pump. It's "down there" somewhere.

It's subtle ... but discernible.

I think I need to research those mechanics' stethoscopes ... as I don't own that in my tool repertoire. Depending on cost and usefulness, I generally don't mind purchasing the tools I need ...

Need to dig for recommended debugging tools for hard-to-find noises in the engine bay ...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noise0.gif
Views:	765
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	206342  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-29-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Some say...

Mein Auto: N/A
Do you have an audio clip of the noise?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Do you have an audio clip of the noise?
I don't have a video camera but I can borrow one. I'll see if I can do that to get a clip of the noise ... but it's subtle ... amongst the ambient engine noise ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	noise1.gif
Views:	764
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	206350  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Pwr Steering ATF Fluid Type-List.pdf (302.8 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by bluebee; 11-07-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 AM

To prevent the power steering cap from leaking your new Dexron III ATF fluid, apparently replacing the O-ring works better than an M5 gym sock.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PS_Cap-Gasket6.JPG
Views:	17729
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	217008  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf http_www.magnum1.com_BMW-740_740_Pages_Maintenance-Pages_PS-Reservoir-Gasket-740.pdf (769.7 KB, 1065 views)
Old 02-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
To prevent the power steering cap from leaking your new Dexron III ATF fluid, apparently replacing the O-ring works better than an M5 gym sock.

Thanks bluebee,

I just did exactly this: replacing the PS Reservoir O-ring and the outside of the PS Reservoir is nice and clean.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Here's a nice power steering fluid replacement diy ...
Old 03-18-2010, 01:29 PM

Power steering cap leak fix xref ...

Old 05-08-2010, 11:40 PM

cn90 alternator rebuild DIY

Old 05-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
+1 on having crud on power steering reservoir. Next fix is new hoses and replace any old rubber O-rings.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Video?
As a cross reference, finally, I figured out how to create a video of the noise and posted it to this thread because I don't think it's the alternator anymore.

I did think for a while it was the power steering; but now I'm not so sure since I've replaced it with Dexron II (by mistake); and now twice with Dexron VI (which is compatible with Dexron III).

Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM

I bought new belts and twice replaced the power steering fluid with Dexron VI ATF ... and the cold-start squeal seems to be vastly diminished ... but still there.

So I bought a mechanic's stethoscope to see if I can further pinpoint the noise.

I've never used one of these, so, it will be interesting to make sure I don't get wrapped up in it like spaghetti!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	belts.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	231581  
Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 AM

I just now ran into this thread again, while researching links for a newbie when I realized I broke a cardinal rule ... which is to follow up on any thread that I start (as a common courtesy to all that tried to help).

Sorry for that faux pas ... Here's an update by way of thanks for your help!

The "noise" I had upon cold startup was finally "cured" six months later when I replaced ALL the drive system components which was "forced" upon me when the alternator suddenly failed on me (leaving me stranded in the middle of the road on a hill, rolling backward to find a safe place to park it to wait for the tow, much to my embarrassment and chagrin).

In hind sight, I should never have waited six months for something to break to finally figure out what was wrong, but, I have a pig-headed way of not replacing things until I can positively diagnose that they are indeed bad.

As requested in this thread, I posted a video clip of the noise here ...

As suggested in this thread, I replaced all the drive system components:
- the alternator (the pulley, when spun by hand, had a clicking sound)
- the idler roller (which was very dry and barely spun by hand)
- both mechanical tensioners (both of which seemed dry when spun by hand)
- both belts (the upper serpentine belt was cracked in zillions of places so it was long overdue for replacement)

And, as suggested in this thread, I had previously replaced the o-ring in the power steering reservoir cap so no leakage was coming from there, but, while I had the power steering reservoir bracket unbolted, I performed the cn90 retrofit fix of the leaking power steering hose on the bottom.

I think that's it by way of update. I did have a series of mishaps ... but we won't embarrass me further by delving into that, will we!

- Specific question: How to get the viscous fan clutch nut on straight (it's crooked)
- Specific Question: How do you safely remove the upper radiator hose with u-pins?
-WANTED: An ingenious method of removing radiator nipple
- What is the most likely cause of this oil leak above the lower radiator hose?
- How to make your own BMW special cooling system & drive belt counterhold tools
etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 PM

And then ... a couple of months after the belt-drive system overhaul ... the cooling system blew up!

Luckily, I had a complete set of cooling system replacement parts from OemBimmerparts in my garage ... lying in wait!
- Complete cooling system overhaul recommended parts list (1)

In case anyone needs to know what power steering fluid to use, what coolant, what brake fluid, etc., see the VERY best of E39 Links:
- BMW E39 fluid summary printout for your glovebox (1)
Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Thanks to all. I am definitely going to install fresh fluid this weekend. Im hoping this growling noise will cease
Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 PM
BMW Student

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Quote:
I bought new belts and twice replaced the power steering fluid with Dexron VI ATF ... and the cold-start squeal seems to be vastly diminished ... but still there.

So I bought a mechanic's stethoscope to see if I can further pinpoint the noise.

I've never used one of these, so, it will be interesting to make sure I don't get wrapped up in it like spaghetti!

Another method (old school) is to use a long-handled screwdriver - set the tip of the screwdriver where you want to listen, and cover the handle end with your thumb, and put you ear on your thumb.

You can hear bearings/bushings going bad or just isolate sounds to a specific area. HTH

'97 528i, 99k DD
'91 CRX Si, 114k
'83 Supra, 109k
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexgo View Post
(old school) is to use a long-handled screwdriver - set the tip of the screwdriver where you want to listen, and cover the handle end with your thumb, and put you ear on your thumb
See also ...

NOISE VIDEOS (1): VANOS rattling noise (1) (2) & water pump impeller noise (1) & water pump bearing bearing noise (1) & alternator bearing or pulley cold-idle noise video [went away with a belt-drive system overhaul] (1) & alternator clicking noise [went away with a new alternator] (1) & reputed loose oil pump bolt noise (1) & DISA (DIfferenzierte SAuganlage - "Differential Air Intake") valve o-ring failure symptoms video (1) & DISA (DIfferenzierte SAuganlage - "Differential Air Intake") rattles (0) (1) & air conditioning A/C compressor knocking sounds (1).