Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8s View Post
Help!!!

So I got the adaptor coded for, and it works great with my little 4 gig nano, BUT it does not recognize my 5th gen 80 gig ipod Classic. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it something that I need to talk to the dealer about, or is it just the ipod that I have. if that is the case, what is the biggest ipod and generation that you have been able to make work with it?

Jay8s
I have a similar issue with my '08 550i which came with the ipod interface. I just upgraded my ipod Touch from the 2nd generation 8 gig model to a 3rd generation 32 gig model. The older ipod worked perfectly but the new one is not recognized at all. Anyone have a clue what is going on?
2008 550i - Alpine white - beige leather 6 speed manual transmission - sports package - cold weather package - heated rear seats navigation head up display - Logic 7 sound system - satellite radio - ipod adaptor - style 167wheels
Old 03-31-2010, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 07 550i sport
i had the ipod adapter installed by BMW a couple weeks ago in my 07 550i. Replaced the disc changer but I never use it anyway. Its sweet. It was more expensive than it should of been but I did not mind. $520 installed with parts and labor. They picked the car up, brought me a new loaner car. Brought it back. Offered to wash it...etc etc etc...
Old 03-31-2010, 12:47 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodman View Post
i had the ipod adapter installed by BMW a couple weeks ago in my 07 550i. Replaced the disc changer but I never use it anyway. Its sweet. It was more expensive than it should of been but I did not mind. $520 installed with parts and labor. They picked the car up, brought me a new loaner car. Brought it back. Offered to wash it...etc etc etc...
Are you satisfied with the functionality? I am awaiting the part to come in so I can have it installed in my '07 530xi. The aux input is not my first choice for the iPod.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcritch View Post
That is 100% wrong. Ive got a 2007 550i with Nav and Sat and I added the ipod adapter myself! Took 5 minutes or less. Works great!
Was the process of adding the adpater similar to what's listed earlier in the thread?

Would be great if you could throw some light.

Thanks,
Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 e60
Has anyone tried the Kensigton Liquidaux? It seems to be a low cost alternative for those who have an aux port.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335 is Cabriolet
I had the ipod adapter installed by a dealer. Works great but takes a little time to get used to it. Only problem is that the ipod touch does not have the firmware to enable charging. The solution, which I have not yet pursued, is to get the Scosche passPort adapter for $19.95.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525i
I checked on my VIN (2006 525i) and I found this:

694 PREPARATION FOR CD CHANGER

I don't have a CD changer in the glove box. I only see a CD mode in the iDrive but nothing indicating multiple CDs as in having the changer being installed. Does that mean that I can just plug in an iPod\iPhone retrofit and the "changer" feature would show up in the iDrive? Am I already coded for installing the CD changer?

Thanks,

Balbs
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by balbs View Post
I checked on my VIN (2006 525i) and I found this:

694 PREPARATION FOR CD CHANGER

I don't have a CD changer in the glove box. I only see a CD mode in the iDrive but nothing indicating multiple CDs as in having the changer being installed. Does that mean that I can just plug in an iPod\iPhone retrofit and the "changer" feature would show up in the iDrive? Am I already coded for installing the CD changer?

Thanks,

Balbs
Nope, that's just an indication that the physical wiring for the CD changer was included in your car's build. To install a changer, you would need that hardware, and then the system would require programming. For the iPod control, the changer prep doesn't get you anywhere at all, as far as I know - you will need to pay for all of the wiring, installation, and programming required. Unfortunately, adding iPod control aftermarket to our cars is very expensive.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
BMW iPod Connector Cable - do I need OEM product?

Just picked up a 09 535 - has the aux and usb connection (OEM IPod Adapter) in the center consol. The OEM cable to connect to my iPod is missing (was not included with car).
My plan is to buy a Nano and leave it connected in the car. Should I go to the dealer to buy a OEM BMW ipod cable or just use both a usb to iPod cable for power and a headphone to aux port cable for audio?
I'm guessing that since the BMW cable does not use the headphone port of the ipod - there could be integration issues with iDrive if I do not use the OEM connector cable? Thoughts?
Anywhere else I can get the correct cable - dealer is a long drive.
Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Thought I would share my experience since I just went through it last week.

'07 530xi with Nav. CD changer was never installed in this car.

1) I installed the Spec.Dock iPod dock in the ash tray
2) I installed the BMW OEM IPod interface in the glove box and tied it into the fiber optic cable that was there for the non-existent CD changer and also connected it to the ash tray dock
3) Because the car never had a CD changer, I then took it in to have the CD changer programming completed - they did it for $60. There is no automatic recognition of a changer or Ipod adapter. If you remove an existing CD changer to install the Ipod adapter then you should be all set and not need the programming. This assumes your other software has been refreshed to version X (I don't recall but it is listed in the install instructions).

Cheers!

Jim
Old 05-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
OK, I'm going crazy trying to understand this.

Please help!

I have a 2008 BMW 335i. It does not have a CD changer. It has an "Aux" connector in the armrest but it does not have a USB connector.

What can I do to connect an iPod and play it through my iDrive system?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVegas View Post
OK, I'm going crazy trying to understand this.

Please help!

I have a 2008 BMW 335i. It does not have a CD changer. It has an "Aux" connector in the armrest but it does not have a USB connector.

What can I do to connect an iPod and play it through my iDrive system?
You can connect your iPod by running a stereo audio cable from the headphone jack out to the aux connector, or better yet from a line out solution from the iPod into the aux connector. You cannot, with the setup you describe, control your iPod using your iDrive. For that, you need the iPod interface - which can be purchased from and installed by your dealer, but it is very expensive.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

This is the iPod adapter for the 335i:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=748

and this is where I got my dock for the ash tray:
http://www.specdock.com/

This combination does not use the aux input - you get a fiber optic connection via the changer interface and the music plays from the iphone or iPod via the apple connection on the device.

I have tested on an iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 32GB model. Both of these charge (contrary to other posts and also contrary to the printed manual that came in the box!)

I like it!

Let me know if you would like to discuss further via PM.

Here is pic of the dock:
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

And the iDrive interface, Notice the the folder labels are generic CD1, CD2, CD3 and so on for album, genre, play lists, etc:

Photobucket

Cheers!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
This is the iPod adapter for the 335i:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=748

and this is where I got my dock for the ash tray:
http://www.specdock.com/

This combination does not use the aux input - you get a fiber optic connection via the changer interface and the music plays from the iphone or iPod via the apple connection on the device.

I have tested on an iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 32GB model. Both of these charge (contrary to other posts and also contrary to the printed manual that came in the box!)

I like it!

Let me know if you would like to discuss further via PM.

And the iDrive interface, Notice the the folder labels are generic CD1, CD2, CD3 and so on for album, genre, play lists, etc:

alt="Photobucket">

Cheers!

So for your setup, you need to buy both of those parts? The BMW iPod adapter and the SpecDock station? Total for equipment only is around $1,000?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

$1,000 is way too high an estimate. The dock was about $130 I think and the OEM adapter is about $350.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
$1,000 is way too high an estimate. The dock was about $130 I think and the OEM adapter is about $350.
The specdock i saw for a 2007 5 series integrated into the iDrive quoted $599. does that include everything?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:33 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Sounds like you found a complete package. But... Make sure you are getting the BMW OEM iPod adapter. Your price might also include installation. Post a link to what you found and I will check it out.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you found a complete package. But... Make sure you are getting the BMW OEM iPod adapter. Your price might also include installation. Post a link to what you found and I will check it out.
http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/...POD/Detail.bok

thanks!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afreidin View Post
Yep - you are looking at a package deal. You should call them to find out which ipod adapter they are selling - I doubt it is the OEM adapter and it is more $ than I paid.

If you want to get what I have - which I know works with my Iphone 3GS you should stick with getting the OEM adapter directly from BMW and the dock from spec-dock. They have a dock that works with the OEM adapter. I think it is the one I included in my previous post.

The interesting thing here is the manual that comes with the OEM adapter says it won't charge the iPhone. This used to be true but the current version of the adapter does indeed charge my iPhone 3GS.

Jim
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
The package includes the Dension Gateway GW51M02. I have been researching Spec Dock as well and have had multiple conversations with Randy. He has gone out of his way to answer all my questions and even find someone local to me to code my car at a lower cost than the dealer. Seems like a good company to deal with so far.
Kevin
Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
is there asetup that will allow control of the ipod through the i-drive console?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: '04 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGreenE60 View Post
is there asetup that will allow control of the ipod through the i-drive console?
Read this tread.... YES

Gone E36 325i
Old 06-01-2010, 10:30 AM

In fairness, a lot of the information in this thread is starting to become stale. Both BMW and Apple have significantly revised their products and issues of compatibility and price as discussed two years ago may no longer apply - at least to new vehicles.

But I agree, there is lots of great information in this thread and that was a very basic question that is fundamental to the topic and very much answered; probably on the BMW site as well as here.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sports Package
Couple of things:

I am considering an option that a local stereo shop recommended, a brodit mount with a TomTom car kit mounted on it.

I told them basically that my requirements were to be able to charge my phone, use tomtom nav from phone and also be able to listen to ipod or pandora. So that is what they recommended. They said that I would have to have the aux input installed in the car before they could do the work.

The dealer told me that the aux input was not available for my car!, ?? I have a '05 545. Does that sound right?

Anyone else tried the TomTom car kit with Aux as their integration solution? Are you happy with it?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:54 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by togles View Post
Couple of things:

I am considering an option that a local stereo shop recommended, a brodit mount with a TomTom car kit mounted on it.

I told them basically that my requirements were to be able to charge my phone, use tomtom nav from phone and also be able to listen to ipod or pandora. So that is what they recommended. They said that I would have to have the aux input installed in the car before they could do the work.

The dealer told me that the aux input was not available for my car!, ?? I have a '05 545. Does that sound right?

Anyone else tried the TomTom car kit with Aux as their integration solution? Are you happy with it?
I would go on to the BMW site and look at accessories. You will have to select your model and year. The available accessories and prices should come up. There should also be a link through dealer websites (mine has it) for accessories. I looked up Sat Rad for mine and it said that the option was only available for cars produced after either 6 or 9/06. Mine was produced just before this. I cannot believe that an aux input is not available for your car. You could also check out bavarian auto sport at bavauto.com. They will have the information you are looking for. Sorry for the long reply.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone