Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Akebono Euro review

So it's almost 1 month I mounted the Akebono pads together with Zimmermann cross-drilled rotors.
Impressions:
If the bite of the OEM Jurid on a scale from 1 to 10 is 10, then the Akebono Euro are probably 8.
On a scale from 1 to 10 concerning dust brake, Jurid are probably 4 or 5.
Akebono 9 or 10.
For the last 2 weeks we had only rain. And usually, the OEM combined with wetness will deposit not only the filthy black dust, but also a nast film like a slime (also black).
Well, surprise-surprise. My wheels were almost clean after this said month.
I washed the car & wheels today, so the observation I made, was that actually I had a whiteish powder on the wheels. This was noted only when I hosed off the wheels - that's when I noted they were a bit dull on the not wetted part. The white dust washes off sooooo easy!!! I was impressed. I can remember all the elbow grease every 2 weeks or so, and did I mention elbow grease?
It's a snap now. Sure, the initial bite is less than the Jurid (remember i believe it's 8), but once the brakes are warmed up, they feel almost like the OEM.
Now I will see how they will hold up. I know the Jurids didn't have a long life.
Now, here are some pics of the wheels after a spirited drive with lots of aggressive braking:

Front:

Rear:

My car - I tinted the windows and a slight tint on the headlights:

TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Ads by Google
Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Conservative Modder

Send a message via Yahoo to Graham E39 528i
Mein Auto: 528i Slush (1999)
Good succinct review. Thank you!

Are the Akebonos quiet? Do you find it easy to compensate for the reduced bite by increasing the pressure?

OEM BBS Style 42 (18x9) | Conti DW 245/40-18 | KraftStab Strut Bar | Bilstein Sports | Vogtland Springs | Eibach Sway Bars | Mason Sway Bar Links | e36 M3 Steering Wheel | Biarritz Blue Metallic | Nimble & Graceful
Portland BMW Club Member
Old 06-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525 2000 M5
I've been running the Akebono's now for about a month and I really didn't know what to think about them. I did notice the bite wasn't quite the same as the OEM pads but I have now gotten use to it and the stop just as well if not better. No dust to speak of on the wheels.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham E39 528i View Post
Good succinct review. Thank you!

Are the Akebonos quiet? Do you find it easy to compensate for the reduced bite by increasing the pressure?
They are quiet, no problems. initial bite is a bit less than the OEM, so you would compensate by increasing the pedal pressue. Once the pads warm up, they feel almost like the OEM's. Easy to modulate. The loss of brake dust is stunning. usually I would start to see the black stuff in 2-3 days after a wash. If it rains, sometimes you would see it the same day. Not so with these.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 AM
^^^Worst Username Ever!

Mein Auto: '01 540iA
Cool, nice review. I have the Axxis Deluxe pads and those bad boys are noisy. But I drive like grandma, slow and steady, so I know that contributes to the noise. I've been thinking of trying these next. Let us know if they develop any noise or problems. Thanks again.

"The more you know, the more you don't know," Dave Chappelle
"Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content"-Durant

WTT: Black Comfort Seats for Black Sport Seats. PM for info.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2000, 1995 540iA, 07 525
I put Axxis Deluxe pads on about 6 months ago. Virtually no dust, only a slightly less braking power and quiet until they get wet. I can't complain, I hated the black film within 2 days from the OEM pads.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporarySanity View Post
I put Axxis Deluxe pads on about 6 months ago. Virtually no dust, only a slightly less braking power and quiet until they get wet. I can't complain, I hated the black film within 2 days from the OEM pads.
As I mentioned, I drove through steady rain for the last 2 weeks and there was no noise and absolutely no reduction in braking power compared to dry conditions. - the Ake's Euro's. Again rain in the forecast..
Old 06-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
I'd be glad to help if anyone else would like to try a set of the Akebono pads. We also have some great deals on brake kits with these pads.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Nice review. I've had similar experiences with both the Euros and the Axxis. I prefer the Euros overall. The Axxis would squeak periodically until rebedded.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Nice review. I've had similar experiences with both the Euros and the Axxis. I prefer the Euros overall. The Axxis would squeak periodically until rebedded.
I forgot to mention that I did bed the brakes (as per Zeckhausen) - what a smell they had!!!!! Now I'm not sure if you really have to bed these ceramic pads..........
Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540IA Sport
Tire Rack states Akebonos don't need bedding. Just easy driving for the first couple hundred miles.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Akebono rep told me no bedding needed. I replaced my OEM pads 1.5 years ago. The OEM pads were like new at the time. Less than 10K miles. I could not take the brake dust anymore. Akebono Euro will be used again when these are shot. 40K miles later though, less than 1/2 worn.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540
i put my akebonos on about 3 weeks ago. i also had the jurid pads b4 the akebonos and brake dust was such a difference. i remember how much time i spent cleaning my rims every week. now its been about 3 and theres nothing there. But instead of the zimmeran cross drilled i just got the balo rotors
Old 06-15-2010, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
I forgot to mention that I did bed the brakes (as per Zeckhausen) - what a smell they had!!!!! Now I'm not sure if you really have to bed these ceramic pads..........
Ha! I got that same smell!!!! I thought I had cooked my brakes!

BTW, nice wheels!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/page...ions_nov06.pdf

Pads I am looking at...
TRACK/STREET: Axxis Ultimate, Pagid Blue, Hawk HP Plus

This thread has good info about aftermarket pads versus OEM pads IMO.:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1261321

Here's another great thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5143655
Look at post #29.

Last edited by Jason5driver; 06-15-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Jason you should be a salesman.....
Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Jason you should be a salesman.....
LOL!
I have been told that before...
LOL!

Who should I sell for?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
LOL!
I have been told that before...
LOL!

Who should I sell for?
Let's team up..
Old 06-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Akebono's are definitely top notch. They are, by far, the top selling pad. I bet over 90% of customers ask for them.

Personally, I still like to bed them. I like to get my pad seated to their rotors. A lot of manufacturers state their pads don't need bedded, but it usually seems to help establish a good wear pattern.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ad_guide.shtml
Old 06-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
The best part about the Akebono pads we carry is they sell themselves. Post all the links you want, nothing is more powerful than the word of mouth from unbiased members of the forums. Thanks for your orders guys!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
Late to the thread but I am curious what Part # you are all running for your Akebonos? Looking at ECS tuning site and there are dozens of different options all for the 540i
Sports Package
K40 hidden radar detector
235/45ZR-17 General Exclaim UHP
255/40ZR-17 General Exclaim UHP
225/55R16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 - Winter Tires and Rims
Redline Fluids - Diff and Tranny
Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pads
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540
Akebono's are the best.....I lov'em. I have had them on the 540 for 40 days and......I just lov'em
Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Great thread! Ceramics are just awesome awesome! I could not get the stock $hitty, black dusty pads off my car fast enough when I bought it. Great info Doru and those reps are lookin' good!! Mark I'll be coming to you soon for some new pads. At 60k+ on my posi-quiets I'm sure I'll be due.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2003 540i m-sport
mark, how much for a set on an 01 525 sport. thanks!