Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
The 535i was the demo about 56k. The auto was in D. From just about any speed when I floored it, it seemed like the pedal was down a sec or less before the afterburners kick in. It was noticeable enough that I repeated a 60-80 or 90 passing scenario a few times and got the same thing. I don't get anything like that with my RL, or when I drove the M37x. Not sure if it actually is turbo lag, or that there are so many gears to jump down from cruising in 8th to passing in 3 or 4. It almost seems like the drive by wire is gauging how far down the pedal is before the computers figure out what gear to go to etc. When I switch over to manual mode the lag seemed much less, and downshifts from 7 to 4 seemed very quick. Not sure if there is a sport mode for the tranny while in D or how to access it since I am not a BMW guy (yet). In the M37 just rotate the big knob on the center stack to sport and the tranny shift points and throttle inputs all quicken up. I am curious if others notice the lag too, maybe it is from the single turbo vs dual, but according to BMW articles the single turbo is much quicker to spool and has virtually no lag
The sport mode on my 650i for the transmission is engaged simply by moving the gearshift lever to the left. If you want to accelerate rapidly you can either just hit the accelerator in sport mode or downshift simultaneously. Just pushing down on the accelerator in D is quite slow. It does take a little while to learn how to drive it.

But you can ask the hot rodding guy in the AWD RL I taught a lesson to on the bridge over the Allegheny River last Fall. See, I knew his car weighed around 4100 lbs and had around 305hp and my car weighed 3800 lbs and had 360 hp. I downshifted to 3rd and nailed it. He tried to catch me and in a few seconds I was about 200 yards in front of him. I stongly suggest that one think twice before picking on an 8 cylinder BMW. You can also ask that guy in the Acura RSX type R on interstate 79 who was tailgaiting me at 70mph.

But my engine is nothing compared to the F10 550i 4.4 liter turbo. The only engines in the world better than BMW engines are Ferrari and Lambos.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 06-16-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
the auto has a sport mode in D? How do you set that?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: F06 650i/E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
the auto has a sport mode in D? How do you set that?
you are kidding me, right?
for me it was pushing the shift knob to the left (rhd here).

very quick response in sport mode.

My feeling is:

Comfort mode (dynamic handling) -> I am riding in the back being chauffered ("I am the Boss" mode)
Normal mode -> My commanders-in-chief (ie wife and kids) are in the car. doesn't matter if I am driving or she is.
Sport mode -> I want to enjoy driving alone!
Sport + -> I want to do CRAZY DRIVING!

Last edited by mlai; 06-15-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Dont pay the $76k MSRP then... take it down a notch.
Also, you bought a Lexus after owning a few BMWs, and it seems you liked the Lexus a lot...
Lexus and BMW are VERY different cars and if you liked Lexus after coming from BMW, then maybe you should stick with Lexus.

I know this one guy who owned Lexus all his life and then bought a E60 because he wanted to be like me (he was jealous of my old E46 and wanted to make me jealous of him.. nver will happen lol... even if he gets a Ferrari. I just dont care about those things.. anyway back to the point). Few months later, he tells me how much BMW sucks because of how "rough" it is... he's telling me that Lexus is way better than BMW because its so much smoother, etc etc. He went on and on and on... I didnt care at first, but then I got annoyed because he kept saying how much BMW sucks because of the way it feels. I told him that its SUPPOSED to be like that, and that he should go back to Lexus. Then he told me that he'd rather drive a Corolla than a BMW...
I'm just trying to say that BMW is not for everyone and if you are happy with Lexus and their prices then stick with it.
If you truly want another BMW because you realized that Lexus is not for you, then you should try and talk the price down... never pay MSRP.