Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansell View Post
Awesome write-up. I have 45k on my car and plan to tackle this project soon. Thanks,

Brian

EDIT: Looking at eeuroparts.com, I see there are two brands for the kit: Meisterstatz and Elring ($50 and $30, respectively). Any thoughts on either? I know GCoop and Starless have both used the Meisterstatz kit with no problems.
I had the impression that the Meisterstatz kit looked more like BMW kit (it's probably OEM) so that's what I went with and it looked exactly like the original kit. I'm not 100% sure but I do not think Elring is OEM which does not mean it won't fit properly...

At 45K changinh atf will probably be overkill. See my comments on the quality of oil that came out. But at the same time, if done right it's not gonna hurt anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlboBMW View Post
Alex. Your DIY is very concise and focused on doing the job right. Any post-DIY reviews, or updates? Do you think this DIY made a difference?
Thank you. No difference. The tranny works smoothly as it had been before the change. So it was more of a preventative maintenance thing not an attempt to fix a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojaibimmer View Post
Great write up! Your DIY his mirrored my experience changing the tranny fluid on my 99 323i (109k miles) and recent postings on fluid changes by a newbie to BMW's. I wasn't able to properly measure amount of the fluid that came out, but ended up adding almost 6 quarts including spillage so that is pretty close to the 5.5 litres that you added. I didn't use a torque wrench either, I started to but it seemed even at the low setting that I might over tighten the bolts so I used a 3/8 wratchet and "choked up" on the handle. No leaks now 2 weeks after the fluid change. I used Redline D4 ATF, it meets all BMW specs as listed.
Thank you. Keep us updated on how Redline ATF is working for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojaibimmer View Post
You mentioned doing a write up on lifting the vehicle and placing it on jack stands. I noticed that the front of the vehicle had two hard plastic pads for jack stand placement, yet the rear didn't. Are mine missing or does only the front have these pads due to the greater weight up front (engine, tranny) compared to the aft end of the vehicle?
There are definately 4 plastic pads. So you are missing 2. Just buy and install them
I'll do a write-up soon. Have little time right now for it. But I have all the pictures, so it's just a matter of time.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
Thanks, part # 51718268885 and I'll be good to go.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

1K miles today after the oil change, so far so good!
Next time I'll update this thread after 10K
Old 04-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
1K miles today after the oil change, so far so good!
Next time I'll update this thread after 10K
Your gutsy...at 98k with this damned ZF 5HP19, I'm not going to change it unless I start having problems (knock on wood), then will that maybe merit messing with it since that would still be cheaper than swapping it out.

I think if I do swap it out, I might be tempted to put in a manual
Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Your gutsy...at 98k with this damned ZF 5HP19, I'm not going to change it unless I start having problems (knock on wood), then will that maybe merit messing with it since that would still be cheaper than swapping it out.

Lot's of guys change their fluid with far more miles than that. You're just now hitting the miles recommended by ZF for replacement.

Quote:
> Sent: Monday, 11 September 2006 12:21
> Subject: FW: Lifetime fluid for ZF transmission
>
> It is the case that some ZF transmissions are listed
> for "fill for
> life" oil types, while this does sound as though the
> transmission will
> never need the oil changed there is a limitation of
> 10
> years that
> accompanies this statement.
>
> Please note that for me to clarify for you if your
> particular
> transmission is listed under this arrangement I will
> need the 10 digit part
> number which can be found on the ID tag located on
> the
> main transmission
> housing, passengers side, just above the oil sump.
> Not
> all ZF
> transmissions are recommended for this oil type.
>
> I hope this clarifies the situation somewhat for you
> but should you
> require any further information, please do not
> hesitate to contact me
> again.
>
> Thanks & Best regards
>
>
> Darren Hayward
> Service Advisor - Transmissions & Steering
> Commercial Vehicles & Passenger Cars
>
> ZF Australia Pacific PTY LTD
> Sales & Service Organisation
> 14 Lidco St, Arndell Park
> NSW Australia 2148
> Ph: +61 2 9679-5555
> F : +61 2 9679-5500
Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post

Use Pentosin oil (made in Germany) it's the only oil approved by ZF transmissions. I called them and they told it. Looked like I have read somewhere in google that Esso and Pentosin are partners in the oil production(i'm not sure, because I didn't find any facts on Pentosin website).
I know in our local NAPA store, they have Pentosin product.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Nando779 Send a message via Yahoo to Nando779
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci, Orient Blue
Starless, it appears you did not use the BMW OEM. There has been some users claiming slippage due to the use of non-OEM filters. Have you experienced this yet? I just want to confirm since it stilll seems very odd to me that the filter itself would cause the slippage.

My bimmer and the son of Sam himself.

http://www.facebook.com/Nando.Alvarez
Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando779 View Post
Starless, it appears you did not use the BMW OEM. There has been some users claiming slippage due to the use of non-OEM filters. Have you experienced this yet? I just want to confirm since it stilll seems very odd to me that the filter itself would cause the slippage.
I highly, highly doubt that. I used Meistersats filter. It looked absolutely identical to the old genuine BMW filter except the letters "BMW" were not printed on it. No, no slippage.
I have not done any research on that but I "think" that this company Meistarsats is the Original Equipment Manufacturer of filters for BMW...Who are those users by the way and which brand filters did they use?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Nando779 Send a message via Yahoo to Nando779
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci, Orient Blue
Thanks for the fast response. I will see if I can find the thread where I was questioning another user on their statement of non OEM filters causing slippage, I believe it was user FiftyCent or something like that. I can understand the fluid causing the slippage but the filter? I gave them the benefit of the doubt but I just can't see that being the case. I do claiming some individuals experienced immediate slippage after the fluid/filter change. So far you are the exception to their claim.

My bimmer and the son of Sam himself.

http://www.facebook.com/Nando.Alvarez
Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
I highly, highly doubt that. I used Meistersats filter. It looked absolutely identical to the old genuine BMW filter except the letters "BMW" were not printed on it. No, no slippage.
I have not done any research on that but I "think" that this company Meistarsats is the Original Equipment Manufacturer of filters for BMW...Who are those users by the way and which brand filters did they use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando779 View Post
Thanks for the fast response. I will see if I can find the thread where I was questioning another user on their statement of non OEM filters causing slippage, I believe it was user FiftyCent or something like that. I can understand the fluid causing the slippage but the filter? I gave them the benefit of the doubt but I just can't see that being the case. I do claiming some individuals experienced immediate slippage after the fluid/filter change. So far you are the exception to their claim.
Same filter that I used almost 18,000 miles ago. So count me in as another "exception" as I have had no problems. Bought it from from Pelican Parts and they indicate that Meistersatz is an aftermarket supplier. All I know is that every part in that kit matched the OEM part I took off the vehichle identically.

Last edited by GCoop; 04-14-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Meistersatz is an OE supplier to BMW, but that doesn't mean they make every filter/gasket/etc for BMW. Someone else may have made that particular filter.

For the 360 and 390R, both Elring and Meistersatz are offered, though neither are listed as OEM, but both manufacture for BMW, and both have proven to be of high quality.
http://eactuning.com/parts/product_details/24117557070
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330CI
Thanks for making this nice and clear DIY. Had my laptop out in the garage with this page open while changing my atf fluid/filter/gasket 3 days ago on my 2004 BMW 330 CI @ ~63,500 miles.

I ended up going with the valvoline maxlife atf fluid and the Meistersatz filter kit. Got out a little more than 5 quarts. Probably going to do just a drain/refill when I order and get a new fuel filter and possibly parts to change out some of the cooling system (water pump, temp sensor, upper/lower radiator hose, expansion tank, thermostat), and maybe the belts too. hehe.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:37 AM

Mein Auto: E46 318i N42B20
Dexron VI

Im Going To Change my oil and filter Tommorow .
Oil : Dexron VI - hicksoil formula 500 - GM approved and liscensed
Filter : Original Filter (IBS)

Last edited by gabriels; 06-10-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
Excellent write up Starless
I finally did mine yesterday. At 99,340 miles and 10 years in desert heat, I was very pleased at how clean the fluid was. I used Casrtol Import Multi-ATF fluid. Everything seems fine, with basically no change, just that I feel better for having finally gotten it done. Now for the diff fluid and RTabs. (And another full brake job is coming up)
Here's a few pics:

Last edited by tamvegas; 06-11-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 AM
*^^^^^^^^*

Thanks for pictures, tamvegas. Your original fluid was Texaco ETL 7045E and it does not look that bad at all after 100K (unless it was changed before).

Good job!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 AM

I did mine today (took me 6 hours)
the oil was DARK BLACK!!!
replaced it to dexron VI from hicksoil at 148000Km
It was smooth before without problems
now its still the same maybe ill replace just the oil again in about 1000-2000Km
hope nothing will happen to my gear....
Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriels View Post
I did mine today (took me 6 hours)
the oil was DARK BLACK!!!
replaced it to dexron VI from hicksoil at 148000Km
It was smooth before without problems
now its still the same maybe ill replace just the oil again in about 1000-2000Km
hope nothing will happen to my gear....
Black is not good. Heat kills transmissions. Use synthetic fluid if at all possible. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 AM

i did used fully synthetic oil of dexron VI instead the original (and i dont know what was in it 7045E/8072)
at the dealer they wanted 46$ for a liter of original bmw oil (you can buy only 20 liter) - SUX so i bought dexron VI fully synthetic for 13.5$ a liter - also very expensive but bare-able.
oils are so expensive and rare here and cost alot to import.
i wanted D4ATF they wanted:
D4-gallons $41.95 each (i wanted 3 ) so ...125.85$
Shipping $180.00

Total(Redline D4ATF) : 305.85$
Total(Dexron VI hicksoils) : 155$

Last edited by gabriels; 06-11-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 PM

I done over 100km with the new fluid - no problems .
anyone knows after how many km/miles you can see you didnt do it right?
and is it recommend to do just a fluid change to remove more of the old oil?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 AM
catso

Quote:
I done over 100km with the new fluid - no problems .
anyone knows after how many km/miles you can see you didnt do it right?
and is it recommend to do just a fluid change to remove more of the old oil?
Leaks and the correct level (quantity) of trans fluid is pretty much all you can check. Change it again when you get the opportunity. They make aftermarket drain plug kits that make fluid draining much easier. You may want to look into that.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Leaks and the correct level (quantity) of trans fluid is pretty much all you can check. Change it again when you get the opportunity. They make aftermarket drain plug kits that make fluid draining much easier. You may want to look into that.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 AM
catso

Quote:
I've never personally used one. My 323i is a 5 speed, but my old 528e has a drain plug in the pan. Do a search. I think Amazon has them along with some of the major auto parts chains like NAPA, etc. I think there was a thread about the subject a few months ago.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
I've never personally used one. My 323i is a 5 speed, but my old 528e has a drain plug in the pan. Do a search. I think Amazon has them along with some of the major auto parts chains like NAPA, etc. I think there was a thread about the subject a few months ago.
i also have a drain plug .
i also replaced the oil pan to a new one (looks good ) so i didnt had to torque the drain plug after all the process and saved me some time with the gasket.
its only cost 70$ and its a had been replaced by a new part number (i think it has a different drain plug)
Old 06-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
I think the flash made my old ATF fluid look much cleaner than it was. I took a couple pics of A/B (old ATF from the drain container vs fresh Castrol Import Multi ATF).

Old 06-20-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamvegas View Post
I think the flash made my old ATF fluid look much cleaner than it was. I took a couple pics of A/B (old ATF from the drain container vs fresh Castrol Import Multi ATF).

is it after total flush or just adding to the old oil in the atf?