Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012-535i
Me Too!!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walksbimmer View Post
I second E's comment time a hundred... however, I do think you guys have finally got a coach that "get's it" in Brian Kelly... BUT I don't think he has the players he needs to run that spread.... so I'll give him a season and half to wash out Charlie's kids, then we'll see... until then I expect that Trojan boot up the Irish you know what... LOL

If you were yelling for that school in westwood, the fighting teddy bears, I wouldn't have acknowledged your post... LOL...

However, my dislike of that campus stops at Football and I give them a pass on their Basketball team for this upcoming season.. .only because I have the utmost respect for John Wooden in life - and in death...
Hope you're right about Kelly, but I'm not a fan. On the other hand, I was delighted when Tyrone was hired, so what do I know? (I go back to Parseghian, and am undoubtedly just getting crusty with age.)

I've only been to two football games in LA: ND vs. SC in 1988 (aah, the benefits of long-term memory), and ND vs. UCLA in 2007 (Rose Bowl). The UCLA game was a suck-fest, but everyone rose, as one, when the SC-Stanford score from across town was announced.

Hope you two enjoyed my license plate in the photo, and you're more than welcome to have a cold one out of the back of a Bimmer when you travel to ND.

Fight On!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
I also tested a dealer demo 535i today. I also tested a M37x. The 5 was very nice and has a stealth attitude. The engine and exhaust note was subdued but present especially at higher speeds. I thought the handling (base suspension ) was sporty and well composed yet fun on some on ramp circles. About the same as my RL, maybe a little better. The car inspires confidence. Two concerns the temp and fan settings are in red and seem to wash out with polarized sunglasses. The second was a very noticeable lag when the accelerator is first depressed and auto in D. This happens from a stop and also at mid and highway speeds when i floored the accelerator. The pedal goes down and then there is lag before everything kicks in. Not sure if this is from the tranny being in gear 7 or 8 and having to drop 4 or 5 gears, the turbos, or electronic drive by wire. With the car in M all seemed normal and much faster. Anybody else experience a similar lag?
The Infiniti sounds faster, but probably is not. It has a louder exhaust note and not quite as refined.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550XI
Hey guys, new to the forum, own a 2009 Infiniti M35X, regretfully. Didn't buy the 535 b/c I'm not a fan of the looks, plus i knew the F10 was coming. I live in Colorado so I have to wait for the Xdrive (October most likely). Test drove the 550i on Saturday and wow was it impressive. I gunned it out of a turn on a slick road and it just handled it perfectly, it was in sport mode, just the slightest hint of a fish and then caught without any of the jerkiness i'm accustomed to in the Infiniti.

As I'm not a long-time BMW owner like most of you many of the features are new to me. The test car had the heads-up display (which, evidently, doesn't work with polarized glasses), side cameras, etc., none of which are necessary for me.

Had a question about maintenance. In a lease situation, would any of you recommend the BMW "all-in" maintenance package or is it a waste of money. I've mostly been a Japanese car owner and almost never do these programs make sense financially. Just wondering whether I should expect more frequent trips, and whether it's worth the $$.

Can't comment on the heaviness factor, it certainly is heavier than the Infiniti, i found the twin-turbo scary fast, but also very quiet and road noise was virtually non-existent. Little to no over-steer, the car was outfitted with the sport package and dynamic handling package and seemed to hold the road effortlessly, even in tough conditions.

I had my 7-year old in the back so wasn't really going for it, FYI.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 PM
A US Autobahn supporter!

Mein Auto: BMW 528i w/sport pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzeller View Post
Hope you're right about Kelly, but I'm not a fan. On the other hand, I was delighted when Tyrone was hired, so what do I know? (I go back to Parseghian, and am undoubtedly just getting crusty with age.)

I've only been to two football games in LA: ND vs. SC in 1988 (aah, the benefits of long-term memory), and ND vs. UCLA in 2007 (Rose Bowl). The UCLA game was a suck-fest, but everyone rose, as one, when the SC-Stanford score from across town was announced.

Hope you two enjoyed my license plate in the photo, and you're more than welcome to have a cold one out of the back of a Bimmer when you travel to ND.

Fight On!
Now that's what I'm talking about. A brew, football and my Bimmer... Lol.

"Rules of My Road Bible"

Chapter 19, Verse 23

"Speeding is a matter of perception. If you're behind me then to you I'm speeding."
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 PM
A US Autobahn supporter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
I also tested a dealer demo 535i today. I also tested a M37x. The 5 was very nice and has a stealth attitude. The engine and exhaust note was subdued but present especially at higher speeds. I thought the handling (base suspension ) was sporty and well composed yet fun on some on ramp circles. About the same as my RL, maybe a little better. The car inspires confidence. Two concerns the temp and fan settings are in red and seem to wash out with polarized sunglasses. The second was a very noticeable lag when the accelerator is first depressed and auto in D. This happens from a stop and also at mid and highway speeds when i floored the accelerator. The pedal goes down and then there is lag before everything kicks in. Not sure if this is from the tranny being in gear 7 or 8 and having to drop 4 or 5 gears, the turbos, or electronic drive by wire. With the car in M all seemed normal and much faster. Anybody else experience a similar lag?
The Infiniti sounds faster, but probably is not. It has a louder exhaust note and not quite as refined.
That lag I'm told is from the turbo ramping up. Ford says they've created the first turbo that doesn't experience that "lag" effect (in the new Taurus)... Dunno how that works - or if it works. That's the most annoying thing about a turbo boosted engine. IMHO.

"Rules of My Road Bible"

Chapter 19, Verse 23

"Speeding is a matter of perception. If you're behind me then to you I'm speeding."
Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 PM

KSSOD: Hey not sure if you've owned an Infiniti before but if you want more info, hit me. I don't want to disparage another brand on the forum but I have some strong opinions after owning one for 10 months. Suffice it to say I am selling it to buy a 550. I'm in the car 2 hours/day and while the infiniti is fun at times, it's got some inherent challenges that bug in a big way. I have a beautiful 2009 loaded black/black M35X 13K miles if you want one
Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 PM
A US Autobahn supporter!

Welcome!!! Glad you enjoyed the test drive! I was once a Japanese car onwer - and I loved it. When it got totaled, I made the jump to German and never looked back. :-)

Dunno much about the warranty outside of the bumper to bumper, maintenance free thing, but if you plan on leasing it, keep it just until the warranty expires because the out of pocket repair costs can be steep. Given that BMW has added the turbo and more electronics, I can only imagine how much repair costs may have increased. If you're buying it, and plan to keep it, then def get the extended warranty... IMHO. It pays for itself...

Hope you make the final jump and join the family... Lol

"Rules of My Road Bible"

Chapter 19, Verse 23

Old 06-14-2010, 08:21 PM

Thanks Walksbimmer....I am IN. My dad counseled me against the Infiniti and I just didn't listen. It was the whole Bangle back-end thing. I am on the wait list for the 550xi, will order as soon as all our German comrades get back from taking "holiday" in August.

I will have more questions for the forum as I get closer. Leaning towards the graphite (dark grey) with oyster...have some questions about the lease v. buy thing, older I get, more i like a new car every few years so I think i know which way I am going.

Appreciate the advice and the welcome to the team. If i didn't live in Colorado I'd already be ordering/driving the 550, there are too many good ski days here not to have an all-wheel drive, even though you sacrifice a bit of driving performance.

If only they made an M in the x-drive, sort of an oxymoron, I know.

Watch out for the Buffs this year in the PAC 16! Actually, not really, Trojans should sleep easy
Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 PM
A US Autobahn supporter!

I hear you about the snow. We run up to Mammoth a couple times a year and take my girls XTerra. I have nothin bad to say about it per se because it does what she bought it to do. That being said I was prepping my pennies for the X6 but after I saw the Too Gear show where it couldn't get up a grassy hill - and the Range Rover blew right passed it. So she's looking at one of those now. Me, I get to look at getting a new 5...

"Rules of My Road Bible"

Chapter 19, Verse 23

Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
I too need xdrive, but no pricing or package information is available yet. I wonder if they will have the active handling option? So, the turbo lag is pretty evident. Did the dual turbo 2010 model have this as well?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 AM
A US Autobahn supporter!

The lag was noticable bit nothing I'd describe as "bad" or even annoying...

"Rules of My Road Bible"

Chapter 19, Verse 23

Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 AM

i only drove the 550 so can't comment on the lag with the 535. In the 550 there was very little lag. Supposedly the x-drive option on the new 5-series will add $2900 USD to the overall cost, but don't think that's been officially announced yet.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Love the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Convertible
XDrive may add $2900, but then you have to deduct what you would have paid for the dynamic handling package ($2700) as it likely wont be offered with the x drive so it's kind of a wash. Pick your poision: XDrive or Dynamic Handling.

I wish you could get dynamic handling AND XDrive, but for some reason BMW doesn't think we want both....I sure do! Audi will sell you both.

Current Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible
Silverstone/Fox Red. DCT, ZCV, ZCW, ZP2, EDC, 19", Premium Sound and Satellite Radio

Coming Soon:
2000 E38 740iL

Recent Former BMWs:
2008 E60 535xi (via European Delivery)
ED Trip Report Link
E46 M3 6-Speed
2004 E53 X5

BMWCCA Member since 2002
Old 06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
A US Autobahn supporter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvb View Post
XDrive may add $2900, but then you have to deduct what you would have paid for the dynamic handling package ($2700) as it likely wont be offered with the x drive so it's kind of a wash. Pick your poision: XDrive or Dynamic Handling.

I wish you could get dynamic handling AND XDrive, but for some reason BMW doesn't think we want both....I sure do! Audi will sell you both.
yes Audi will!! Along with nickel and "dime'n" you to death for this option/accessory, etc... BMW is doing it as well, just not as bad... IMO...

"Rules of My Road Bible"

Chapter 19, Verse 23

Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
what is a 353i????
Best car ever... its a E90 with the coupe front end, quad exhaust, and a 5.3l V10 530hp