Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Proper care and feeding of your new 2011 X5

I've seen a couple of threads suggesting what to do/ask at delivery of a new X5. How about what to do once you drive your new X5 home to maximize the longevity and beauty of your new vehicle?

I, myself, am still trying to decide between clear paint protection products for the front bumper, hood, etc.

What about the leather seats, the wood trim, etc? What are you guys/gals doing?
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 xDrive35d
I'm getting a clear bra applied (full hood, front/rear bumper, fenders, sideview mirrors).

As for the interior, I bought a canister of the windex wipes for cleaning the glass on-demand. Nothing else is dirty yet, but I'll probably just wipe the interior with a very lightly wetted lintless cloth as needed. I hate those Armor All wipes...they leave a crappy residue and smell terrible.

I'll probably condition the leather every 6 months when I get my car detailed (wax, clay stone, the works...)
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5bimmerguy View Post
what to do once you drive your new X5 home to maximize the longevity and beauty of your new vehicle?
Change the oil at 2-3k miles, then every 7500 miles (ie in between the BMW recommended visits)

Change ATF every 40k miles.

Oh, and don't buy black cars- they'll look shabby in a year or two unless you are insane with detailing.

A
Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Also on Bimmerfest is "The Detail Department" forum that can help.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 & 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Change the oil at 2-3k miles, then every 7500 miles (ie in between the BMW recommended visits)

Oh, and don't buy black cars- they'll look shabby in a year or two unless you are insane with detailing.

A
+1
Old 06-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 XDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Also on Bimmerfest is "The Detail Department" forum that can help.
Well, since I did buy Black Sapphire, I started researching how to maintain the X as soon as I place the order. You can find an extensive amount of information in the thread I started over at the Detail Department. I bought almost everything Detail Dan recommended and have already used some of it, the 1Z Vinyl-Rubber protectant on lots of exterior rubber and plastic, Blackfire paint protectant on the wheels (and eventually on the whole X, just waiting to get the crappy wax the dealer applied off, and the Meguire's Gold car wash. Here's a link for you to use to go directly to the thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=458720
Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Very helpful info, thanks all!

BTW, I'm leaning towards VentureShield for entire hood, fenders, side mirrors and bumper. I'm assuming that if the installer 'tucks under' the seams on the hood and fenders, you won't really be able to see the protectant film. Can anyone validate or refute this assumption? And would the fenders (covered entirely) have a different shine than the doors (not covered)? I'd hate to spend $1,000+ and end up junking up the car.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 ML 350
Any idea if won't drive the car for a while?

Has about 700 miles on my new X5D. Unfortunately have to work overseas for about 5 months. Don't want leave the car in the garage but have no other alternatives. Any idea how to take care of the car without driving it for such a long time? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 14 640i GC
Storage recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011x5d View Post
Has about 700 miles on my new X5D. Unfortunately have to work overseas for about 5 months. Don't want leave the car in the garage but have no other alternatives. Any idea how to take care of the car without driving it for such a long time? Thanks.
Inflate the tires to 45+ psi and hook it up to a Battery Minder. It will start right up as soon as you return, and you will be good to go. Depending on when you leave and how long you will ultimately be gone, you will probably want to do an oil change fairly soon after you return (or at least way before the car tells you to with only a few thousand miles) - don't let it go longer than a year regardless of miles.

I regularly leave one of my cars sit for several months since I live in two different locations and am regularly gone from one or the other for several months at a time. There is always an undriven car wherever I am not, and I have never had a problem.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
Quote:

A
Why change oil at 2-3k miles between BMW recommended visits? Does this only apply to the very first oil chnge or do you conitnue to do so after that? Is BMW factory oil is not good enough for the first 7K miles?

And do you go to BMW dealership for the first 2-3k oil change or any shop.
Thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpole View Post
Why change oil at 2-3k miles between BMW recommended visits? Does this only apply to the very first oil chnge or do you conitnue to do so after that? Is BMW factory oil is not good enough for the first 7K miles?

Thanks.
People like to feel like they pamper their cars. I don't bother, it's like the people who put "Premium" gas in a Civic... makes em feel better. To each his own.

With 95% of BMW owners doing standard oil changes (I'm guessing... but safe guess), how many engine failures are we hearing about that could have been prevented with more frequent changes? The engine isn't the unreliable part of a BMW, it's all the accessories and electronics that break down. Boils down to snake oil advice, I've never seen anybody post any sort of scientific evidence, just intuitive, "the car needs clean oil man!!"

Last edited by Newmanium; 06-18-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpole View Post

Thanks.
I just do the break in oil change at 2k or so.

Then just an oil change in between each BMW free service.

Any competent shop can do it, but you must get the BMW oil which is the only one currently listed by BMW. Mine took me 20 minutes to do, which is about the same distance to the nearest stop light, let alone BMW dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanium View Post
People like to feel like they pamper their cars. I don't bother, it's like the people who put "Premium" gas in a Civic... makes em feel better. To each his own.

With 95% of BMW owners doing standard oil changes (I'm guessing... but safe guess), how many engine failures are we hearing about that could have been prevented with more frequent changes? The engine isn't the unreliable part of a BMW, it's all the accessories and electronics that break down. Boils down to snake oil advice, I've never seen anybody post any sort of scientific evidence, just intuitive, "the car needs clean oil man!!"
Lets not turn this into an oil thread..with 95% of new BMW owners not owning the car past the initial lease it is asinine to think there are statistics we can access one way or the other. Go to BITOG (bob is the oil guy.com) for hard 'scientific data' on oil analysis with BMW service intervals.

Newmanium, don't take this the wrong way- go over there and see how you feel about oil and oil service intervals once you get educated.

A

PS If newmanium is going to recommend that we abide by the 100,000 mile BMW interval on ATF fluid, claiming anything less is snake oil advice, well, I'm done here.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Woah, ATF fluid is completely different (lots of stories about failures when it hasn't been changed at 40-60k) - I was just talking about engine oil intervals.

And it's not like it would hurt the car, but the benefit is vague and wishy washy.

Last edited by Newmanium; 06-19-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d White/Black
Quote:

A

Sorry for the ignorance but what is ATF?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kse View Post
Sorry for the ignorance but what is ATF?
Automatic Transmission Fluid, I think.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Alcohol Tobacco Firearm - I have all of those in my X5, just for kicks.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ Funny.

Yes, tranny fluid is the answar...