Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-23-2010, 11:33 AM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLoins View Post
As described in 240808, ''...accompanied by a "bang", felt in the rear of the vehicle after engine start-up.''

This is exactly what I am em experiencing. Do I fall under this category: E60, E61 with N52K or N54 and 6HP19TU produced from 03/07 up to 09/08? My E60 was produced in May 05, just not sure what N54 is.

Next step is to print this out and hand it to my SA when he tries to pass the bill for a software upgrade to me?

Thank you very much for your input.
N54 is for the 535ers... twin turbo. Yours should be N62.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..

Last edited by Nube1kenobi; 06-23-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to GPFboyJS
Mein Auto: 2004 E60
Just wanted to note that I had started having this issue about 1 month ago. Have an 04 E60 with 130000 miles. No transmission issues other than the odd shifting pattern at 35-40 MPH.

Went to local dealer and SA after having to test drive with them comes back to me and says that the only thing they recommend is to replace the transmission, otherwise just deal with it. FYI new Tranny $9K. Car is not worth that much money!

Pushing them to look at alternate solutions. Told Dealship willing to pay for the Transmission to be reprogrammed.

Also found on anohter sight, http://repairpal.com/how-do-you-chec...sion-fluid-407, someone answered this issue by stating that it could be a bad torque converter pressure switch.

I am willing to spend some money on trying to fix, but if it get's up to the price of a new Mechatronics, I might be looking for a new vehicle.

Anyone want to buy a 04 545i Sprt Pkg? :-)
Old 06-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Timing is everything

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
N54 is for the 535ers... twin turbo. Yours should be N62.
I see you have helped in this department before: http://www.forums.bimmerfest.com/sho....php?p=5224648

I appreciate that, it's what makes forums such a good resource.

On that link you posted this TSB: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B240309g.htm

I now understand that I have the N62 engine, but will this TSB work for me since it's seems to be titled for 550i, and I have a 545i?

Like you said I feel that they are trying to bleed me, and I know if I can't find a TSB relating to my vehicle model they will try and charge me. The problem described is EXACTLY what I am experiencing, just need the TSB for it.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
I have a 2005 545i, I think you're talking about the same issue. I went to my dealership and they quoted me $700 for a programming fix since programming isn't covered under CPO warranty. I declined it and reported the issue to the NHTSA. The service director called me back and offered to cover it under a "goodwill" warranty since this is a known issue. The SIB below is for the 545 model.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 17.01(Target data Status E060-05-06-500).

Vehicles equipped with 6HP26 up to 4/05, customer complains of harsh downshift. Refer to SI B24 03 05.

Here is the SIB240305 bulletin:

SUBJECT
Harsh 2-1 Downshift

MODEL
E60 (545i); E63/64 645(Ci/Cic) with 6HP26 up to 04/05

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

An excessively harsh 2-1 downshift when decelerating to a stop, or

Transmission "bangs" into gear when accelerating from a full or a "rolling" stop (vehicle did not come to a complete stop).

CAUSE
EGS software.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram/recode complete vehicle using SSS with CIP on-line update 17.01, or higher.

Important:

Transmission temperature must remain below 50 deg C and trans shifter must be placed in P position prior to the start of CIP programming.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Timing is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanman View Post
I have a 2005 545i, I think you're talking about the same issue. I went to my dealership and they quoted me $700 for a programming fix since programming isn't covered under CPO warranty. I declined it and reported the issue to the NHTSA. The service director called me back and offered to cover it under a "goodwill" warranty since this is a known issue. The SIB below is for the 545 model.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 17.01(Target data Status E060-05-06-500).

Vehicles equipped with 6HP26 up to 4/05, customer complains of harsh downshift. Refer to SI B24 03 05.

SUBJECT
Harsh 2-1 Downshift

MODEL

SITUATION

Transmission "bangs" into gear when accelerating from a full or a "rolling" stop (vehicle did not come to a complete stop).

CAUSE
EGS software.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram/recode complete vehicle using SSS with CIP on-line update 17.01, or higher.

Important:

Transmission temperature must remain below 50 deg C and trans shifter must be placed in P position prior to the start of CIP programming.
First off, thank you.

It's amazing that this isn't covered under CPO warranty, that you have to plead for a 'goodwill' case in order to have the software upgraded. Especially since they released this TSB for the same problem.

My appointment is for tomorrow morning. I'm not going to authorize them to do anything other than test drive the vehicle. If they want to charge me for the upgrade, I will go the same route you did. Any advice on that?

Quote:
SI B 24 03 09
Automatic Transmission April 2009
Technical Service

SUBJECT
550i and 650i with N62TU and 6HP26 - Various Drivability Complaints

MODEL
E60, 550iA produced from 09/05 up to 02/07

E63, E64; 650i produced from 09/05 up to 09/07

SITUATION
The customer may complain about one or a combination of the following situations, listed below:

Intermittent harsh 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 downshift (jolt) when coming to a stop with light brake application.

Jolts and/or jerks felt when reaccelerating after coasting.

Judder when gently accelerating (most noticeable at an engine speed below 2,000 RPM).

CAUSE
DME and EGS software calibration

SOLUTION
Program the vehicle with ISTA/P 2.33.0 or later, using the path "Conversion" and "Downshift behavior". After this modification, the k-word "HADS" will be added to the Vehicle Order.

Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.

For information on programming and coding with ISTA/P, refer to CenterNet / Aftersales Portal / Service / Workshop Technology / Vehicle Programming".

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Certified Pre-Owned Program.

Defect Code:
24 00 33 98 00
Old 06-24-2010, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: E39 M5
Quote:

SUBJECT
Harsh 2-1 Downshift

MODEL

SITUATION

CAUSE
EGS software.

CORRECTION

Important:

Great info, my 05/05 built 545 has this issue and I'm getting the run around from the dealer I bought the car from. I'm sure if I show him this, he'll say the cars build date falls outside of the SIB dates...but I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 AM

I would also encourage everyone to fill in this quick form to file a complaint about the transmission issues with NHTSA so they can also put some pressure on BMW to fix this widely known issue. They've received several complaints so far (the more momentum the better they told me in opening up an investigation). Link is below:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
Old 06-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Timing is everything

Dropped the car off this morning with BMW Dealership. Filled out a customer complaint form with details about what the car is doing, specifically:
Quote:
Intermittent harsh 2-1 downshift (jolt)
when coming to a stop with light
brake application.
Jolts and/or jerks felt when
reaccelerating after coasting.
Judder when gently accelerating
(most noticeable at an engine
speed below 2,000 RPM).
Received a call about 10 minuets ago. They were able to replicate my complaint and have opened a PUMA case. It's either the Mechtronics or Transmission failure, amazingly only after 48k miles!?! Glad that the car is CPO as this is an expensive fix.

Does anyone know if the software will be updated when the tranny/mechtronics are replaced?

On a side note, my passenger fog light was out and I noticed condensation. Seems I ran over a street cone on the highway...$345 to fix. I think I'll search for the housing and try to install it myself.

Last edited by SirLoins; 06-24-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:33 AM

What does a PUMA case mean? My car has 44K miles on it and is currently with the dealer. They are just updating the programming. If a PUMA case is opened would I be able to tell my SA about that so they can do more than just program? Thanks a lot.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Timing is everything

Update: Just received a call from the dealership. They want to try a 2-1 tip in and keep the car for the day to drive it and see if it works. I feel this is a band aide solution to a real tranny problem. Anyone have any experience with this repair?

@yanman-I'm not sure what a PUMA case is or even if one has been opened as I just got the updated information above. I feel they are trying everything not to replace the tranny/mechtronics at this point.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:39 PM
U of Dawgs

Quote:
Update: Just received a call from the dealership. They want to try a 2-1 tip in and keep the car for the day to drive it and see if it works. I feel this is a band aide solution to a real tranny problem. Anyone have any experience with this repair?

@yanman-I'm not sure what a PUMA case is or even if one has been opened as I just got the updated information above. I feel they are trying everything not to replace the tranny/mechtronics at this point.
I tried to post the below link for you since yesterday but the site have been having issues. You may want to read the SIB below.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B010306g.htm

Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 06-24-2010, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: Ex - '05 545i
My car is back at the dealer for the fourth (!) time for the transmission hiccups, and is spending the night. The regional engineer wants to drive the car again because they couldn't re-create the symptoms. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. I offered to come by today and/or tomorrow to drive the car for them in case they couldn't re-create the issue but they declined (hmmmm....). If they don't decide to do a real repair this time, I'm calling BMWNA.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Timing is everything

Quote:
I tried to post the below link for you since yesterday but the site have been having issues. You may want to read the SIB below.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B010306g.htm
Thank you for that. I have it printed up and will use it if need be. I still am waiting for a call from the dealership. Supposedly they did the 2-1 tip in yesterday and were going to drive the car home and call me today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewils View Post
My car is back at the dealer for the fourth (!) time for the transmission hiccups, and is spending the night. The regional engineer wants to drive the car again because they couldn't re-create the symptoms. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. I offered to come by today and/or tomorrow to drive the car for them in case they couldn't re-create the issue but they declined (hmmmm....). If they don't decide to do a real repair this time, I'm calling BMWNA.
I was surprised to when they told me they could re-create the issue...now it's just how many band aides do they want to apply before switching out the tranny?

If you do call BMWNA, make sure you describe the problem as I did (posted earlier in the thread) as it's detailed that way from a TSB posted. This way you are describing it exactly as BMW has and there is no room for misinterpretation.

Driving around the loaner 2010 528 is nice, the updated software and navigation is sharp. I really want my software update as well, don't think I can go back to the old brown screen after what I've seen.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: '04 545i, 01 740il
Quote:
What does a PUMA case mean? My car has 44K miles on it and is currently with the dealer. They are just updating the programming. If a PUMA case is opened would I be able to tell my SA about that so they can do more than just program? Thanks a lot.

Problem und Mebnahmenmanagement Aftersales - Basically it's the highest level of tech support within BMW. The local dealership tech hooks the car up to diagnostic computer and an engineer (probably in Germany) access the car and tries to diagnose the issue. I think a lot of dealers wait until they are sure they have eliminated all possibilities before opening a PUMA case. But, I think once it's opened it gets logged into a database. So, BMW must be seeing an increase in this particular complaint.

Sirloins it sounds like you are making headway in your progress. Opening the PUMA is huge and now it's at the highest level of technical service you can go to. The engineer that is working the PUMA I think has the ability to make a judgement on goodwill warranty if you are outside of warranty period. They are sending you through the same thing I had to go through and ended up with new mechatronics.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Timing is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's 545i View Post
Problem und Mebnahmenmanagement Aftersales - Basically it's the highest level of tech support within BMW. The local dealership tech hooks the car up to diagnostic computer and an engineer (probably in Germany) access the car and tries to diagnose the issue. I think a lot of dealers wait until they are sure they have eliminated all possibilities before opening a PUMA case. But, I think once it's opened it gets logged into a database. So, BMW must be seeing an increase in this particular complaint.

Sirloins it sounds like you are making headway in your progress. Opening the PUMA is huge and now it's at the highest level of technical service you can go to. The engineer that is working the PUMA I think has the ability to make a judgement on goodwill warranty if you are outside of warranty period. They are sending you through the same thing I had to go through and ended up with new mechatronics.
UPDATE:

Received a call, the 2-1 didn't solve the problem so they switched out the mechtronics! Ben, has you car worked well since they switched yours? Did they update the software also?

Last edited by SirLoins; 06-25-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: Ex - '05 545i
Update for me, the regional rep asked what kind of gas I've putting in the car (I almost said "Aren't you supposed to ask me that if I have a HPFP issue?"), and of course I only use 91 and above at the right stations. So they want to put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it because they think its an engine/fuel injector problem. I'm a bit incredulous at this since I have suggested to them that the mechatronics may be the culprit, based on others having the same issues. I'm seriously at a loss at why they seem unwilling to even probe the mechatronics as the problem.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to GPFboyJS
Mein Auto: 2004 E60
So went to the dealership and spoke with SA about all the options that we could potentially try. Finally got them to agree to try the re-program first to see if that does it. Least expensive.

Did not hear anything regarding the torque converter pressure switch. Still going to press them on that subject.

I find it very discomforting that the dealership is very unwilling to want to try and do anything with resolving this issue.

Will let you know if the re-program helps or not.

Next option would be the trans fluid flush.

Wish me luck!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: '04 545i, 01 740il
Quote:
UPDATE:

Received a call, the 2-1 didn't solve the problem so they switched out the mechtronics! Ben, has you car worked well since they switched yours? Did they update the software also?
I've put about 8,000 miles on since new mechatronics and no problems.

They did update the software while it was there but I don't think it's normally part of the repair. I think the only thing they have to do is reset the adaptive values of the tranny.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Timing is everything

I picked up the car yesterday, and it is running great. No slam is present, although I feel the car isn't pulling as much through the gears but I can't confirm this yet. I was trying to scan i my receipt from the dealership but my scanner isn't working. I'll type up the work writeup for others to use.

Quote:

J# 2 24BRZ1000......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ...................
Comment: Customer states the vehicle seems to lurch when you are starting off. Feels like bumped from behind.
Also seems to happen when slowing down. (See diag sheet)

CPO Warranty
Faulty software and mechatronic module
Performed short test and found no related faults. Test drove and verified harsh 2-1 and 1-2 shift. Submitted TC case 32472910 and was
instructed to perform 2-1 tip in case ISIS. Performed 2-1 tip in retrofit with ISSS and test drove after programming found downshift
was fine but vehicle has harsh 3-4 upshift. Supplemented TC case and was instructed to replace the mechatronic. Removed trans pan and
sealing sleeve and replaced the mechatronic with new pan and sleeve. Filled with new fluid and programmed new mechatronic. 2-1 tip in and
mechatronic replacement was done with ISTAP 37.2.0.4 cleared faults and adaptations after repair.

PARTS......QTY....FP..NUMBER...........DESCRIPTION .........LIST..PRICE.UNIT.
JOB # 2 1 24-33-7-571-233 RMFD MECHATRONICS WARRANTY
JOB # 2 3 83-22-0-142-516 OIL WARRANTY
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
I hope this helps someone get the same service for their vehicle from the dealership. I'm bummed I didn't get the idrive update, but overall can't complain as this only cost me $50.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Sirloins, What is the name of your dealership that fixed your E60? Maybe I could get my SA to talk to your dealer, and get mine resolved..

Quote:
I picked up the car yesterday, and it is running great. No slam is present, although I feel the car isn't pulling as much through the gears but I can't confirm this yet. I was trying to scan i my receipt from the dealership but my scanner isn't working. I'll type up the work writeup for others to use.

I hope this helps someone get the same service for their vehicle from the dealership. I'm bummed I didn't get the idrive update, but overall can't complain as this only cost me $50.

2006 750i Black Sapphire, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Comfort Seating, Cooled seats, Heated Rear Seats, MTEC Angel Eyes.
2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, K40 Caliber Built in Radar System
Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Timing is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoelax07 View Post
Sirloins, What is the name of your dealership that fixed your E60? Maybe I could get my SA to talk to your dealer, and get mine resolved..
United BMW of Roswell

11458 Alpharetta Highway
Roswell***8206; GA
United States

+1 (678) 832-4600

http://www.roswellbmw.com/

My SA is Clark Gandee. My name is Constantine, if you need more info just ask.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:04 PM
U of Dawgs

Quote:
I'm bummed I didn't get the idrive update, but overall can't complain as this only cost me $50.
Hmmm... did I give you this SIB? Does your car meet the Compatibility chart? 03/05 ~ 09/05 build? If it is, you have another claim...

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B651805g.htm

Nube1Kenobi

Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Timing is everything

Quote:
Hmmm... did I give you this SIB? Does your car meet the Compatibility chart? 03/05 ~ 09/05 build? If it is, you have another claim...

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B651805g.htm
I checked my ride, manufactored 06/05. I've got 6-disc changer, in dash CD but no navigation. I'm not too clear as to if I qualify, not sure what CCC means. This can't be covered under warranty or cpo?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:31 PM
U of Dawgs

Quote:
I checked my ride, manufactored 06/05. I've got 6-disc changer, in dash CD but no navigation. I'm not too clear as to if I qualify, not sure what CCC means. This can't be covered under warranty or cpo?
As far as CPO coverage, you may have to "deal" with your dealership. Your car has the hardware to play MP3's but not the CCC software bec at the time it was not considered stable enough. => http://www.bmwtis.com/tiscode/cgi-bi...sion=381898657

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B652706g.htm

Along with the above SIBs, use the next one as your main claim base. => http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B010306g.htm

CCC = Car Communication Computer.

Nube1Kenobi

Last edited by Nube1kenobi; 06-27-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: E39 M5
Took my 05/05 built 545 to the dealer with SIB in hand...to my surprise, the car had already been updated by the previous owner. SA is going to open a PUMA case and go from there.

The only issue I have is the 2-1 downshift at low speeds, all other shifts are good.

I'll guess I'll see what happens...