Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Voice music search -- am I alone here?

OK, so the diesel torque is great, the handling awesome. The comfort seats are, mostly, comfortable. The upgraded sound system is, well, better than the base. But, am I the only one who appreciates being able to find a specific song from the hundreds of songs I have stored on the HDD without even touching the idrive (via voice search)? Just want to make sure the other audiophiles out there know about this great feature on the 2011 X5. (Yes, I know Ford, Toyota, etc. offered this feature years ago, but finally on BMW.)

Last edited by X5bimmerguy; 06-24-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Good to know, thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Does this work with the ipod too? The on board hard drive seems kind of worthless to me because it requires updating when you get new music, so I think when my car arrives I will just use my ipod for music and forget about the hard drive. Too bad you can't store movies on the hard drive, though. I would have more use for that than music.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: X5
No, the voice search only works for music stored on the HDD. Of course, you can search for title, artist, etc. on USB/ipod via idrive.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5bimmerguy View Post
No, the voice search only works for music stored on the HDD. Of course, you can search for title, artist, etc. on USB/ipod via idrive.
That's what I thought. I wish you could plug in your ipod and dump it all onto the onboard hard drive. I haven't seen anybody do that yet with any success, especially with DRM files.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d / 2013 135is
Quote:
Just want to make sure the other audiophiles out there know
Since you have held yourself out as an audiophile, hoping you will answer a few ? for me. I have not tried to use the HDD yet fyi.

1) Can I store video on the HDD and play it on the rear entertainment? (yes I realize this is a video question)

2) Can you give me some advice on setting the eq. I played around with it but evry adjustment I make seems to make the sound worse not better. Also any reccomendation on which eq setting to use on iPod when plugged into system, I have been using flat or off.

3) "surround mode" - do you use, if so when

Sorry to be a PIA but I am clueless when it comes to the technical aspects of a/v.

Last edited by thebear; 06-25-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by the J-Man View Post
That's what I thought. I wish you could plug in your ipod and dump it all onto the onboard hard drive. I haven't seen anybody do that yet with any success, especially with DRM files.
Just make a backup DVD of your itunes files using the itunes backup feature, stick it into the dvd player in the X5, and tell it to store the music to the HD.

As I have less than 7 gig of itunes music, it only took one DVD for mine.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 PM
back to bimmer

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Just make a backup DVD of your itunes files using the itunes backup feature, stick it into the dvd player in the X5, and tell it to store the music to the HD.

As I have less than 7 gig of itunes music, it only took one DVD for mine.

looks like ipod to HDD doesn't work, but USB stick to HDD does

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381164

Last edited by jdibber; 06-25-2010 at 03:35 PM.