Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: E39 528i 5 Spd
Seat Switch Repair DIY

OK... As promised, here is the description of my procedure to fix the seat switch:

The switch I am repairing is the driver's side seat switch on a 6/00 built 528i. It seems they all break the same way.

An older thread explains how to remove the plastic side cover on the seat. Usually this cover is partially broken, which pulls on the connector to the seat switch and breaks the socket housing.

After removing the seat switch: Clean the seat switch overall, and then carefully clean the cracked plastic where it will be bonded together. I used 99% isopropyl alcohol for this.

The seat switch plastic will not respond to plastic cement. I used 3M DP 270 epoxy, which is meant for potting electronic components. DP 270 is black, very liquid when uncured (compared to most epoxies), and cures very slowly. It comes in Duo-Pak cartriges, and a "gun" is required to us the cartridges. The gun is pricey but made in Switzerland and a lifetime purchase. I bought mine nearly 10 years ago.

I'm sure there are other products that will work, but I will describe the DP 270 procedure since this stuff seems to be the best material for the job.

To avoid the waste of all the epoxy in a mixing nozzle, I squeeze the trigger on the "gun" and create a bead of the two components side by side on a old business card. About a one-inch bead will do. Mix the two components together for 60 seconds.

I apply the DP 270 with a cheap plastic paintbrush from the hobby store. It goes on like really thick black paint.

Since the connector socket housing had distorted, the broken piece would not stay in place by itself. So after putting DP 270 over all the mating surfaces, I then put the parts together and then used a very small machining vise to hold it together. Some Boeshield T-9 oil on the vise will prevent the epoxy from bonding to it. Excess DP 270 gets brushed along the sides of the connector housing like paint to provide extra strength.

At room temperature, DP 270 takes 48 hours to cure. I placed the part (with vise attached) into an oven at 150F for 90 minutes, plus a slow cool-down. After that heat soak, the epoxy is fully cured. Cured DP 270 feels like hard plastic, not the gummy consistency of many epoxies.

The plastic side cover for the seat had the front hole (for the Torx T-30 screw) cracked. This plastic responds to plastic model cement, so I used that to bond the cracked area together (and also any other splits/cracks in the plastic). The cracked hole was pressed together with the same small vise and allowed to dry overnight. Then I bonded a washer to the outside of the hole for the T30 screw with a fast cure epoxy.

Put it all back in place and it works perfectly. Can you imagine how much the Stealer would want for a repair like this?

Thanks to this forum for saving me hours of electrical troubleshooting by sending me straight to the cause of the fault. Hopefully this DIY will be found useful.

Photos, left to right:
1. Broken seat switch with broken-off part
2. Seat switch with uncured epoxy and vise holding it together
3&4. Finished repair
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	7381
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	236150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	236151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	236152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	7040
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	236153  
Currently stock...
Ads by Google
Old 06-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
So just gluing on that little plastic piece resolved your issue? And what exactly was your issue? I'm getting seat twist and it's pissing me off.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: E39 528i 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
So just gluing on that little plastic piece resolved your issue? And what exactly was your issue? I'm getting seat twist and it's pissing me off.
My driver side seat and steering column adjustment stopped working. The connector housing on the seat switch breaks and the connector plug pulls out of the housing breaking contact. Just a simple electrical contact problem.

I know you saw the original thread, since you posted in it, but for the others:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=463668
Currently stock...
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 528i 97
Good write up notempolimit. this should be 'stickyed'

i have the same problem. but i lost the other piece of plastic to fix the connector. the switch still works, and seriously don't want to spend $150 on a electronic that still works. i used a ziptie but thats a cheap solution that works 50% of the time.

it would be good to make something that would fix this problem being that its such a common one
Old 10-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonex2000 View Post
i used a ziptie
It would be interesting to see a pic of that.

For the record, regarding the "sticky", here are related pointers in the bestlinks thread:
- seat covers that don't protect the control box for the tilting steering and moving seat (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)
Old 10-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Thank you, that's a lot of info.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 AM

Then this is just a design flaw in the construction of the module.
*weak