Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46, X3
BMW is undoubtedly taking the 5er in a different direction, i.e. no manual transmission available on the 528...

I think that's what customers prefer, softer, more numb steering and yet more and more techno-whiz bang gadgets.

That's already happen to the 3 series, its a much less direct and engaging experience than it used to be, plain and simple.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
I think BMW will jump on the steering issue and make a running change on the production line.
How will they do that? I think Parking Assist requires the current electric based steering system. Plus it saps a lot less power from the system than a hydraulic one from what I read.

Unless they drop Parking Assist. But don't count on it - it's a feature that Lexus offers. It may take several generations before they get a lot more feel into the system.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 06-28-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Just read the review... looks like they REALLY don't like the steering. I guess we will see if BMW will slightly revise it next year. Didn't BMW revise the steering on the 2001 model year 3 series and then changed it next year?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328 (E90)
I too have driven the new F10/535 and came away thinking, "nice car" but was not overwhelmed. I think, for me, the thing I worried most about with this new model came true - bigger and heavier. In my humble opinion, some 5 buyers wanting "sporty" may be pushed towards a 3er. Of course the test for BMW will be to introduce the new F30/3er at less weight and no larger in size - especially necessary if the rumor of power by four banger comes true.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp View Post
I too have driven the new F10/535 and came away thinking, "nice car" but was not overwhelmed. I think, for me, the thing I worried most about with this new model came true - bigger and heavier. In my humble opinion, some 5 buyers wanting "sporty" may be pushed towards a 3er. Of course the test for BMW will be to introduce the new F30/3er at less weight and no larger in size - especially necessary if the rumor of power by four banger comes true.
I have yet to drive the F11 but since the E60 was BMWs cash cow accounting for close to 50% of the company's profits I think the BMW might have played it safe. By not over-emphasizing on the sportiness BMW should be able to attract buyers from the other brands. I think that run flats take away from the handling of the car.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
Between my wife and I we have owned four BMW's. All great cars. However I traded my BMW on a 2010 E350 4Matic last August. Why? Because it looked great and dove well. C&D with all their little stats of the miniscule differences between many great cars misses the point. People buying these particular cars are getting older and won't take their car to the track.
My wife decided to wait for the new 5 series BMW. After seeing the car in the flesh,she thought it looked like a big 3 series or a small 7 series. She has now ordered a 2011 E350 4Matic. Motivation was owning a distinctive car. How fast a car can corner was not a factor nor the 0 to 60 time. I don't think that all that C&D stuff is much influence on the over 40 crowd.
Did we drive the same car? I took the E350 out to a hard test-drive (at the BMW Driving Event), and I was surprised that people actually pay $50+k for this thing. As I let plenty of people here know that I am not a fan of the F10, but the E350 is just not in the same league. I floored the E350, but it was never in the right gear and drove like a school bus around corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
That may be true for you = but BMWNA needs it for the F10 to be a success. BMW hugely courts C&D in their advertising and market segmentation.

BMW may get away with it for the F10, but if the F30 fails to make C&D's top 10, I'm pretty sure some heads will roll in Munich.
I agree that BMWNA needs it to be a huge success as its ambition of becoming the #1 volume luxury brand in the US more or less depends on it (until the F3x starts arriving).

I don't think BMW can afford to mess this one up because as someone already stated, the 5er accounts for 50% of the corporate profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
BMW in the Midwest is more concerned about the Audi A4 eating into 3 series sales.
If the new A6/S6 is as good as advertised (which I have my doubts about), then BMW NA/AG got a lot to worry about.

I am sure the F10 will sell well (at least for the first 2-3 years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
Just read the review... looks like they REALLY don't like the steering. I guess we will see if BMW will slightly revise it next year. Didn't BMW revise the steering on the 2001 model year 3 series and then changed it next year?
I am crossing my fingers too that BMW will clean up its act pronto.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 06-29-2010, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp View Post
The F30 is rumoured to increase in size which I believe is warranted, especially in relation to the Audi A4.

I drove the E350 in the Ultimate Drive Event here in Chicago. The MB E350 is not in the same league as the 535i. In every respect the 535i was better. I have no idea why anyone would buy that obsolete and dated slug of a car unless the goal was to keep up with retirees.

I believe that BMW will be well served on the F10 to bring the M-Sport version to the US this fall. The F10 would benefit from a sport suspension comparable to that on my 2008 M-Sport 550. I also prefer the lowering of the car. I do not care for the over the top, overly aggressive M-Sport styling shown in some of the artists conjecture renderings. The M-Sport panels on my E60 strike a nice balance between aggressive styling and elegance. Hopefully big brother BMW NA will not make BMW Enthusiasts in the US wait 4 years for the M-Sport Package on the F10 like they did with the E60. I do not understand why BMW NA holds back the good stuff for US BMW Enthusiasts while they release it in Europe. With the Internet it is clear what is going on.

Also BMW needs to offer a beige headliner like Audi and MB. The BMW approach with one color headliner fits all leather colors is ridiculous.

In 2 weeks I take delivery of my 550i in Munich. All things considered I am really impressed with the F10. It is rather amazing in terms of design and engineering. It is light years better than comparable MB and Audi products. Releasing the M-Sport Package in the US at the same time as Europe would address many of the reservations and make the car closer to perfect.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 06-29-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
I have yet to drive the F11 but since the E60 was BMWs cash cow accounting for close to 50% of the company's profits I think the BMW might have played it safe. By not over-emphasizing on the sportiness BMW should be able to attract buyers from the other brands. I think that run flats take away from the handling of the car.
I have run flats on my car and it handles great, I don't think the run flats have much to do with it. I would be curious to see if the 535i in the C&D article had the Sports package or not.

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Love the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Convertible
Can someone post the link to the article?

Current Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible
Silverstone/Fox Red. DCT, ZCV, ZCW, ZP2, EDC, 19", Premium Sound and Satellite Radio

Coming Soon:
2000 E38 740iL

Recent Former BMWs:
2008 E60 535xi (via European Delivery)
ED Trip Report Link
E46 M3 6-Speed
2004 E53 X5

BMWCCA Member since 2002
Old 06-30-2010, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
This is the link to the old comparison of 2009 cars, in which a similar A6 beats the E60 535i (E60 came out 2nd).
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

the comparison involving the F10 isn't online yet.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I would certainly bet that the F10 535 in the new test has sport package. Car and Driver has always been a BMW fan boy (at least with the 3 series) and they never test a BMW without the sport package - or maybe this one doesn't have the ZDH option?

By the way, C/D has not been a fan of the E60 from the beginning due to the fact that the original ZSP comes with active steering.

I'm not surprised that F10 loses some sportiness - after all most drivers in this segment don't ever plan to go to the track with a 5. A6 is a good car but it's old design, and Audi has trouble with higher end cars in the NA market.