Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Acura RL
Sport question

Drove a base 535i and noted a significant lag in throttle response compared to pedal position. I understand that the DHP package gives suspension settings, and I think that the sport tranny gives a button for tranny settings as well as paddles. Is there a sport setting for the regular auto? If so how is it accessed? Does the sport package give any mechanical options other than the wheels.
Thinking about an xdrive but I don't think there will be a sport option, but would like a quicker tranny option. The M37x has a knob that quickens shifts etc.

Also, on my RL there are some very nice features with the bluetooth, such as the volume of the radio goes down with a call as does the fan speed, is the BMW similar?

Does anyone know when we can build a xdrive F10
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
DHP adjusts the throttle and tranny in addition to the suspension.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
Drove a base 535i and noted a significant lag in throttle response compared to pedal position. I understand that the DHP package gives suspension settings, and I think that the sport tranny gives a button for tranny settings as well as paddles. Is there a sport setting for the regular auto? If so how is it accessed? Does the sport package give any mechanical options other than the wheels.
Thinking about an xdrive but I don't think there will be a sport option, but would like a quicker tranny option. The M37x has a knob that quickens shifts etc.

Also, on my RL there are some very nice features with the bluetooth, such as the volume of the radio goes down with a call as does the fan speed, is the BMW similar?

Does anyone know when we can build a xdrive F10
Throttle response is much faster in the sport setting.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Is there a sport setting without the DHP
Old 07-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Doesn't look like it from the pictures on the BMW website. I guess you'd have to add in the DHP when you order the car.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Quote:
Most every BMW has the basic "Sport" transmission mode that ups the throttle response and shift points - you kick your shifter to the left while driving to get into this.

This is completely different from the upgraded suspension settings.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanium View Post
Most every BMW has the basic "Sport" transmission mode that ups the throttle response and shift points - you kick your shifter to the left while driving to get into this.

This is completely different from the upgraded suspension settings.
Actually, my 650i has a "sport" button that increases the throttle response and shift points without putting the transmission in the manual position. Just putting the tranmission in manual mode without pushing the "sport" button increases the shift points but does not increase the throttle response. I don't know if the manual transmission mode in the 535 also increases the throttle response as well as the shift points. Does it on your car?

Last edited by richschneid; 07-03-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:12 PM

No, think it's just shift points when done on the shifter - sport button is probably reserved for additional engine upping on certain sportier models. My 530, the loaner 328, and my old 530 all have just the transmission Drive Sport mode, no additional sport improvements or buttons.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:12 AM

It would be nice if there was a pdf version of the owner's manual available. The BMW website does not do a good job of explaining in detail the options and how various settings are accessed. In a non sport, non DHP car how is the sport setting for the tranny accessed. Moving the gearshift to the left allows manual mode, but not a sport auto mode. Is there a sport setting accessed via idrive? with the sport package and sport tranny, I know there is a button on the shift console to set the various modes.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
In my E39, moving the auto transmission lever to the left changed the shift points. Manual mode wasn't engaged until you actually did a manual shift. I doubt that the current version of the base car is different in this respect (although of course the shift lever is totally changed). In addition, the transmission was programmed to "learn" - that is, to adapt to the driver's style. I bet that's the same, too. So even without the sport AT, you get some choices. The next step up, I think, is the sport AT, which requires the ZSP but not the ZDH if I understand the ordering guides right. ZSP gives you wheels and seats, but nothing mechanical. The sport AT offers some additional control of the transmission, as well as the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

Last edited by raleedy; 07-04-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
It would be nice if there was a pdf version of the owner's manual available. The BMW website does not do a good job of explaining in detail the options and how various settings are accessed. In a non sport, non DHP car how is the sport setting for the tranny accessed. Moving the gearshift to the left allows manual mode, but not a sport auto mode. Is there a sport setting accessed via idrive? with the sport package and sport tranny, I know there is a button on the shift console to set the various modes.
Even a BMW salesman I went with didn't realize how this worked. If you shift to the left, it puts it in "Drive Sport" mode. If you then shift up/down, it will switch to "Manual" mode and stay in that mode, until you switch back into regular "Drive".

The salesman thought that if you switched to the left, it instantly went into Manual mode. Not true (and hasn't been true for at least 7 years...).
Old 07-04-2010, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanium View Post
The salesman thought that if you switched to the left, it instantly went into Manual mode. Not true (and hasn't been true for at least 7 years...).
Right, that is the VW/Audi way.