Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5
01 X5 Can't Open Driver's Side Rear Door from Inside or Outside

I cannot open the driver's side rear door with either the outside door handle or inside door handle on our 2001 BMW X5 3.0i with 90k miles. Can I remove the inside door panel with the door closed? I have taken these off before but always with the door open. Any way around this?

Link
Ads by Google
Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: x5
No, you have to be really careful and try to minimize the damage. good luck
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Let us know how you solved the problem and what it was please.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 PM

You have to remove the end of the seat back. Whilst sat on the back seat put your hands onto the top of the side seat back trim, you can slightly lift it forward with ease. Now whilst keeping your finger underneath the seat back trim move your fingers towards the window and down the outside of the seat back trim until your level with the top of the door panel trim. Now get a good grip on the seat trim and pull it out and then lift it up and out.
This should give you enough room to start releasing the inner door panel.
Good luck and be patient.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X.5 4.4
I am having the same problem, but my problem started with the window in the front passenger door, being stuck in the door frame, can't get it to come up, something inside the door frame is blocking the window from coming up. You have to remove the door panel to free the darn glass. BMW has the most horrible power window system than any car i have owned. I have replaced my drivers side window so many times I have lost count, not to mention the rear windows as well. 2001 X.5 4x4. Thank God someon posted the instructions on this site on how to remove the door panel...saves hundreds
Old 07-04-2010, 06:17 AM

One more thing, I have the same problem "CAN'T OPEN THE DOOR"
Old 07-04-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones40 View Post
One more thing, I have the same problem "CAN'T OPEN THE DOOR"
1. Does your central locking button still go up and down on that door? if not the the catch/lock could be broke keeping the catch/lock in deadlock seeing as you can not open from the outside or inside.
2. If you live in a cold location (has been freezing in winter) the lock freezes and when you try and open the door with the outer door handle it snaps/extends the cable that goes to the door catch/lock and won't let you open the door. This means you will need to replace the inner outside door handle carrier.
3. Where the release cable connects to the catch/lock it connects to a little metal bar, this sometimes starts to rust and will not let the handle travel the full amount to release the catch/lock.
Hope this helps
Zips
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Is this just me or is not being able to open your door somehow a serious safety problem that needs to be addressed? I would not have a car that you could not open the door manually if you had to. All the gee whiz slam bang electronics are great, but there has to be some way to get in or out of a car when those neato things go south.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:04 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Is this just me or is not being able to open your door somehow a serious safety problem that needs to be addressed? I would not have a car that you could not open the door manually if you had to. All the gee whiz slam bang electronics are great, but there has to be some way to get in or out of a car when those neato things go south.
Actually, this problem only existed for 1 day. I traveled 300 miles for the holiday weekend and had a family member hit the power window button as most would do in a hot climate area, before I could say "DON'T TOUCH THAT BUTTON" , only i knew there was a problem with the window, I am single, therefore, I have few to no passengers in this truck. This was the second time this happend. When the front passenger window goes all the way down it can't come back up, there is something in the door frame that is obstructing the window from coming up. It also will not allow you to open the door. That is the passenger door, I drive from the driver's seat not the passenger seat..LOL. My passengers on this road trip was a 2 yr old in the back in the car seat with his Mother next to him, so, there again, was no safety issue, this mishap happend once we reached our destination. It is all resolved for now, found numerous videos on You.Tube.com that show you how to remove the door panel, we were able to clear the blockage and the window came up fine.