Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2010, 10:35 AM
musicarr musicarr is offline
Registered User
Location: Sacramento
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 528e
1985 528e - ABS or not?

Hi,

I just got a 1985 528e with the 5-speed stick. I can't find definitively if this car has ABS or not. the interior has cloth seats, not leather, so I was thinking it may be a European import, which may affect whether or not this car has ABS. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, if it DOES have ABS, is it difficult to change the brakes? What are the tricks for changing them?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:48 AM
south26 south26 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 716
Mein Auto: 535i 1989
if you have ABS, you have all of the metal brake lines going into a box on the passenger side of the engine compartment towards the front. On cars without ABS this is a great place to store things like oil. I believe after 84 all e28s had ABS.

As to changing the brakes it is no more difficult then if you do not have ABS.

Andy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is online now
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,930
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by south26 View Post
if you have ABS, you have all of the metal brake lines going into a box on the passenger side of the engine compartment towards the front. On cars without ABS this is a great place to store things like oil. I believe after 84 all e28s had ABS.

As to changing the brakes it is no more difficult then if you do not have ABS.

Andy
If you do have ABS you should chage/bleed the brake fluid periodically to minimize any contamination to the ABS control unit. BMW specifies DOT4 brake fluid. By the way, I have a cloth interior on my 528e and it's not a euro model. The seats still look like new.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2010, 12:30 PM
6 Brit 6 Brit is offline
Location: **** you
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,963
Mein Auto: **** you
go fast...slam on brakes...if they modulate...you have abs
also under the hood there will be a little metal box with metal brake lines going into it...

does not make them any more difficult to change
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is online now
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,930
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Brit View Post
go fast...slam on brakes...if they modulate...you have abs
also under the hood there will be a little metal box with metal brake lines going into it...

does not make them any more difficult to change
Won't work on dry pavement, I've done it many times.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM
musicarr musicarr is offline
Registered User
Location: Sacramento
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 528e
Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I took everything you all said, and here's what I have determined. I do not have ABS. I looked at the passenger side of the engine compartment and it's empty - no box with metal brakes lines. On the driver's side, there is the master cylinder, but nothing out of ordinary there, as it seems to me. I also checked my owners manual. They had pictures of my instrument panel with a "Anti Lock" telltale light between the "Brake Lining" and "Brake" light. But on my car, it is completely blank/empty. So I'm assuming with all that, I don't have ABS. Does that sound about right to you guys?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is online now
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,930
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicarr View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I took everything you all said, and here's what I have determined. I do not have ABS. I looked at the passenger side of the engine compartment and it's empty - no box with metal brakes lines. On the driver's side, there is the master cylinder, but nothing out of ordinary there, as it seems to me. I also checked my owners manual. They had pictures of my instrument panel with a "Anti Lock" telltale light between the "Brake Lining" and "Brake" light. But on my car, it is completely blank/empty. So I'm assuming with all that, I don't have ABS. Does that sound about right to you guys?
The only other confirmation is to go to Realoem.com and enter your serial number and see what the resulting diagrams display. It's still a helluva good car with or without ABS.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 PM
musicarr musicarr is offline
Registered User
Location: Sacramento
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 528e
Just went to realoem.com and checked it out. Nothing there about ABS anywhere that I could see. The only thing I saw in the diagram was a sensor for the brakes, but I think that is only for the brake linings.

On to new things with the car, now. I think I solved an idling problem. I'll find out tomorrow am when the car is cold. Still have a question about that, but that should be in a different post. I need to post some pictures to clearly ask that question.

But here are a few more questions I have in different posts.

1. Heat along with Air Conditioning - why?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5309883

2. Cruise Control doesn't work - any ideas?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5309886

Thanks again for all the help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM
6 Brit 6 Brit is offline
Location: **** you
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,963
Mein Auto: **** you
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Won't work on dry pavement, I've done it many times.
funny...mine do
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms