Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 06-28-2010, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 85 528 e
no start maf or Tb ?

hey guys I've just got an 85 528e and was in the process of tunning it up.
I cleaned the intake system first cause of a sticky throttle and at the same time the map sensor. It had alot of gunk in the piping and around the butterfly.
Now my problem is it wont run. I't's starts for like 2 seconds and then dies

So my question is which area should i check first? before i go into the wrong area

I took the plug of the maf sensor to see whats in it. Don't have a book yet. they look like contact points on the inside. any harm in soldering them down?

I took the Tb off to clean it but didnt put the new gasket in it yet

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by demo64 View Post
hey guys I've just got an 85 528e and was in the process of tunning it up.
I cleaned the intake system first cause of a sticky throttle and at the same time the map sensor. It had alot of gunk in the piping and around the butterfly.
Now my problem is it wont run. I't's starts for like 2 seconds and then dies

So my question is which area should i check first? before i go into the wrong area

I took the plug of the maf sensor to see whats in it. Don't have a book yet. they look like contact points on the inside. any harm in soldering them down?

I took the Tb off to clean it but didnt put the new gasket in it yet

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
What did you clean the Air Flow Sensor (MAF) with? It's a very sensitive electronic device. Your model also has a cold start valve. The procedure for testing it is well described in the Bentley.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:47 PM

i used brake parts cleaner to clean out the flap and surrounding area. it looks like the electronics are all on top over the flap so i might try the gasket first
Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Can it harm it to clean out inside around the flap with spray?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 PM
catso

Quote:
Can it harm it to clean out inside around the flap with spray?
It's not the cleaning that would harm it, it's the type of solvent in the cleaner and whether it's compatible with the device. They make a special MAF (and electrical device) cleaner. The throttle body is mostly metal and carb cleaner probably is OK to use to get the gunk off. I regularly use it to clean my Idle Air Control Valve.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:08 PM

turns out when i put the plug back in on theb afm i moved the contacts that move around the track. Bent them back and all good now so the start die thing is the afm maf whatever it's called on these cars.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:00 PM
catso

Quote:
turns out when i put the plug back in on theb afm i moved the contacts that move around the track. Bent them back and all good now so the start die thing is the afm maf whatever it's called on these cars.
So does it now run better after cleaning the Air Flow Sensor with carb cleaner?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 PM

no real noticeable difference
im gonna try tightening up the spring a bit. Having a problem with mid range power. could still be intake or exhaust but the car doesn't smell rich so im gonna give it a try
Someone has already adjusted it before. The cap was glued down and theres marks on the gear inside.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:00 PM
catso

Quote:
no real noticeable difference
im gonna try tightening up the spring a bit. Having a problem with mid range power. could still be intake or exhaust but the car doesn't smell rich so im gonna give it a try
Someone has already adjusted it before. The cap was glued down and theres marks on the gear inside.
What about the ignition system; plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Have you checked/replaced any of these? How old is the Oxygen sensor?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:25 AM

20 years? lol i dunno got another 2 accords to swap before i start on it again, but that and the timing belt water pump oil pump and whatever else i notice will be on the list soon