Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM
OCD Afflicted

Mein Auto: '10 X5d & '08 EX35
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
. . . then take the USB out and the music will be CD quality on my car???
Technically not "CD quality" if the USB stick is uploading AAC or mp3 formats in their typical sampling formats, but likely good enough to sound much better than "FM" or even "HD-FM" music, depending on the quality of your "rips." Heads up on using the HDD for music storage: it is a royal PITA to edit/modify uploaded songs for corrections/deletions/etc. For this reason alone, it is desirable to play your tunes directly from the USB stick, which can be easily removed for said changing. Directly playing from a USB stick has limitations as well, but they pale in comparison to HDD storage, at least in my experience with a sizeable mp3 collection that undergoes modifications on a monthly basis.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
so when uploaded are how are they categorized?? by song name?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Doom View Post
A contraire, mein freund Hill Country. I think it was you that relayed instructions on how to make this happen with a series of hand slights (nee, soft resets) on the iPhone. Might be MY specific, but I have no problemo streaming WWOZ via 3G into the '10 X5d sound system via the Y cable option. I did exchange the delivered Y cable for an upgraded ver. when the original proved to not be charging the phone.
Actually the trick was posted by someone else, in a thread I started. But you are correct. There are ways to trick the X5 into not recognizing the iPhone hence not crippling it into an iPod. And it can be done by accident (as I reported in that same thread). But IMO these tricks are too much trouble, when a <$100 dollar Kensington Y cable (w/12v adapter) works by just plugging in the iPhone, whether or not you have already blown $400 for the BMW stuff

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 07-14-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsindogg View Post
Isn't the AUX input analog, therefore the Y-plug does Digital to Analog Conversion? I would assume you would lose sound quality in the DAC, where as USB to USB is straight digital so there should be no sound quality loss.

I only use the USB port with a 32GB memory stick loaded with 256kbps MP3's encoded with LAME codec. It blows HD-Radio/Sirius out of the water.

My point is, if you have the iPod you should probably use the USB input and not the AUX input since it should yield better sound quality. But someone correct me if I'm wrong since I don't use an iPod.
In our '09 35d when I unplug the Aux input part of the Y cable ---- the sound stops

AFAIK the USB part of the BMW Y cable is only used to charge the iPhone and control the iPod app.

Funf Dreisig
Old 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
In our '09 35d when I unplug the Aux input part of the Y cable ---- the sound stops

AFAIK the USB part of the BMW Y cable is only used to charge the iPhone and control the iPod app.

Funf Dreisig
wow.....$400 so the iPod is played back via analog input. That's kind of ****ty.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:

Funf Dreisig
The sound is sent through the 3.5mm jack, but it is not amplified - it does mean that it is passing through another D/A conversion, but I think you'll find that you're going to hear more flaws with your source than with that extra D/A conversion.

Quote:
wow.....$400 so the iPod is played back via analog input. That's kind of ****ty.
It's been like this for years - my '07 335i works the same way - I hear very, very little degradation vs. a straight USB memory stick. BMW is changing this come September - there's a work around if you use the iPod as a hard disk and boot from there.. but if you don't pay the $400, you don't get a USB port you can play music from at all...

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
The sound is sent through the 3.5mm jack, but it is not amplified - it does mean that it is passing through another D/A conversion, but I think you'll find that you're going to hear more flaws with your source than with that extra D/A conversion.

It's been like this for years - my '07 335i works the same way - I hear very, very little degradation vs. a straight USB memory stick. BMW is changing this come September - there's a work around if you use the iPod as a hard disk and boot from there.. but if you don't pay the $400, you don't get a USB port you can play music from at all...
More accurately.... if you don't pay the $400, you don't get a USB port to control music from at all.

I agree that the $400 iPod/USB option probably improves the sound quality (less analog amplification) but it really is more about controlling an iPod (or iPod app) via the iDrive. For some people controlling their iPod is a very big deal. All I'm trying to do is make sure folks in the process of deciding on X5 options, understand what the $400 iPod/USB option actually does and does not do when used with an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Funf Dresig
Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, X5
Quote:
so when uploaded are how are they categorized?? by song name?
The idrive system is able to load id3 tags. if no id3 tags are present, it'll just load the filename. You can also sort them into different folders. I have a 64gb usb stick with multiple folder levels with the root holding the different genre ie: classical, rock, oldies, etc.. and within each folder the artist and then drilling one step deeper their respective album.

As far as quality goes, it really depends on the bitrate of the audio file. A 320kbps will sound superior over a 64kbps. But the difference between 320 and 256 is minimal and the average users will not be able to differentiate.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: Honda
I am a bit confused, does the USB in glovebox come as standard? Do you need to pay $400 to get that??
Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Sup3rman

Quote:
More accurately.... if you don't pay the $400, you don't get a USB port to control music from at all.

I agree that the $400 iPod/USB option probably improves the sound quality (less analog amplification) but it really is more about controlling an iPod (or iPod app) via the iDrive. For some people controlling their iPod is a very big deal. All I'm trying to do is make sure folks in the process of deciding on X5 options, understand what the $400 iPod/USB option actually does and does not do when used with an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Funf Dresig
Understood - The USB does only control the music when using an iPod tradtionally through the Y-cable - however, that USB port can also serve to play music via a USB flash drive instead of an iPod. My 335i came with a 6" USB extension cable to use with a flash drive, which was not included with the new X5d.

I really can't imagine not being able to control the iPod via iDrive - I had an old jeep for winter use prior to the X5, and I only had an aux-in... and it was a pain to charge the phone and control the iPhone. The USB/iPod connection also charges my phone (iPhone 3Gs)

Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 AM
OCD Afflicted

Mein Auto: '10 X5d & '08 EX35
Quote:
There are ways to trick the X5 into not recognizing the iPhone hence not crippling it into an iPod . . But IMO these tricks are too much trouble, when a <$100 dollar Kensington Y cable (w/12v adapter) works by just plugging in the iPhone, whether or not you have already blown $400 for the BMW stuff
+1 FD on the tricks being too much trouble; the [NOLA] radio station internet streams for me aren't compelling enough to justify fiddling [totally distracting whilst driving BTW] - however, my NOLA native wifey is MOST APPRECIATIVE of your thread that brought out the iPhone-iDrive "trick" to allow her to constantly stay in touch with her roots, from 1800 miles west.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Doom View Post
....however, my NOLA native wifey is MOST APPRECIATIVE of your thread that brought out the iPhone-iDrive "trick" to allow her to constantly stay in touch with her roots, from 1800 miles west.
Glad to hear it. And when the wifey is happy.....

Funf Dreisig

p.s. I spent some time in NOLA as a youth.......
....and not in the slammer as some of you are thinking
Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM

So this is so confusing now.

now if I don't get the 400 dollar ipod integration there is NO USB drive in the glove compartment to put my USB stick??

I have an iphone 3gs and seems like its pointless to get the adapter kit because if someone texts or e-mail comes in will that show up on my screen too??
Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:

now if I don't get the 400 dollar ipod integration there is NO USB drive in the glove compartment to put my USB stick??

I have an iphone 3gs and seems like its pointless to get the adapter kit because if someone texts or e-mail comes in will that show up on my screen too??
I'll check out the glove compartment USB when I head out of the office and let you know. I honestly haven't used it because I use the USB port in the armrest.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Sup3rman

Quote:

From what I understand, the USB in the glovebox is to import tunes onto the hard drive. It won't actually play music from there - only import.

Can anyone confirm?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I'll check out the glove compartment USB when I head out of the office and let you know. I honestly haven't used it because I use the USB port in the armrest.
alright cool...so you got a usb in the armrest even if you don't have the $400 upgrade?

and that can import/play too?

thanks for checking it out. I am ordering my 50i Saturday. This site has been helpful.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Sup3rman

Quote:
alright cool...so you got a usb in the armrest even if you don't have the $400 upgrade?

and that can import/play too?

thanks for checking it out. I am ordering my 50i Saturday. This site has been helpful.
The USB in the armrest is the $400 upgrade. That is the "iPod/USB adapter".

The additional USB in te glovebox is from the tech package, and can only import I believe.

If you don't get the iPod/USB option ($400), you only get an aux. 3.5mm input.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
From what I understand, the USB in the glovebox is to import tunes onto the hard drive. It won't actually play music from there - only import.

Can anyone confirm?
I can confirm, you cannot play music from the USB port in the glove compartment.

The manual says you can only import/export music from the HDD to the USB glove compartment. I didn't try either since I don't plan on importing them.

So, if you want to play MP3's from a USB drive, you need the 6FL or Premium Sound upgrade.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: Honda
I just checked yesterday there is no USB in my glove compartment, it is not a standard feature. I am not sure which upgrade that gives you that since I don't have any
Old 07-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i E90
Quote:

Funf Dreisig
My car is on order so, I went to the dealer today and played with a car on the lot that had the ipod option. I can confirm that if you plug your ipod into the USB port USING THE USB CABLE THAT COMES WITH YOUR IPOD you can control AND PLAY MUSIC without using the analog connection. The sound quality is a lot better because it is 100% digital. The only issue is that you cannot play protected AAC songs you've purchased through itunes. You can play all your MP3s with no issue and the operation through iDrive is the exact same.

If you try this with the Y cable that BMW gives you and unplug the analog cable no sound comes through. It must have something to do with the plug into the ipod that BMW provides which diverts the sound to the analog Y port.

Hope that help clears some stuff up.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZZ View Post
My car is on order so, I went to the dealer today and played with a car on the lot that had the ipod option. I can confirm that if you plug your ipod into the USB port USING THE USB CABLE THAT COMES WITH YOUR IPOD you can control AND PLAY MUSIC without using the analog connection......
I promise you this does NOT work with our iPhone 3Gs on our '09 X5 35d WITH the $400 iPod/USB option. I've tried it several times, including just a few minutes ago to be absolutely sure. Every time the iDrive puts up a warning "The connected USB device is not supported." and makes the USB option un-selectable. OTOH our X5 happily plays the exact same music off of a USB memory stick plugged into that same USB port.

Using the iPhone's sync cable plugged into the USB port in our center console will charge the iPhone and let us use all the apps BUT it does NOT provide ANY audio to the X5 sound system. IOW it provides the exact same functionality of plugging the same cable into a $30 USB 12V adapter. YMMV in later models.

I strongly advise anyone ordering an X5 to test their exact iPod/iPhone with their own music library, apps etc. with an X5 on the dealer's lot to be sure that what they are ordering will do what they expect.

Funf Dreisig

FWIW we have NEVER purchased a single tune from the iTunes store. ALL of the music on our iPhone (and USB memory stick) is ripped from CDs we own -- i.e. no DRM and no excuses.

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 07-16-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Sup3rman

Quote:
I promise you this does NOT work with our iPhone 3Gs on our '09 X5 35d WITH the $400 iPod/USB option. I've tried it several times, including just a few minutes ago to be absolutely sure. Every time the iDrive puts up a warning "The connected USB device is not supported." and makes the USB option un-selectable. OTOH our X5 happily plays the exact same music off of a USB memory stick plugged into that same USB port.

Using the iPhone's sync cable plugged into the USB port in our center console will charge the iPhone and let us use all the apps BUT it does NOT provide ANY audio to the X5 sound system. IOW it provides the exact same functionality of plugging the same cable into a $30 USB 12V adapter. YMMV in later models.
Doesn't work that way in the 2011 models either. It may work only with an iPod (not iPhone) - I only have an iPhone though.

I'll retry the USB option, but from my last test, I couldn't really discern the difference between the USB stick and the iPod.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
I can confirm, you cannot play music from the USB port in the glove compartment.

The manual says you can only import/export music from the HDD to the USB glove compartment. I didn't try either since I don't plan on importing them.

So, if you want to play MP3's from a USB drive, you need the 6FL or Premium Sound upgrade.
You do NOT get a USB drive with Premium Sound. I have premium sound and don't have a USB port anywhere (center arm rest or glove box).
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 AM

does the 50i come with a USB?? I heard it has a better sound system than the base 35i and diesel,
Old 07-19-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
You do NOT get a USB drive with Premium Sound. I have premium sound and don't have a USB port anywhere (center arm rest or glove box).
You might want to check your build order then, because 6FL is part of Premium Sound. Go look at the BMWUSA BYO configurator yourself.

Quote:
Premium Sound Package $1,800
Premium Sound Package $1,800

• iPod and USB adapter
iPod and USB adapter

The iPod® adaptor offers the ability to simply and easily integrate selected iPod® models and other selected MP3 players into the vehicle's audio system. Once connected, the MP3 unit is fully controllable through the audio interface. You can then enjoy your personalized music selections delivered with the full audio capabilities and refinement of the BMW sound system.
• Premium hi-fi system
Premium hi-fi system

Premium high-fidelity 16-speaker sound system with Digital Sound Processing (DSP), 2 subwoofers under the font seats and digital 9-channel amplifier with 600 watts of power.
• Satellite radio with 1 year subscription