Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Naval Aviator

Mein Auto: 2007 328i Coupe 6MT
Question 2007 E92 Brakes squeal when soft pressure applied but not with hard braking

Hello all,

I have a 2007 E92 coupe with about 49,000 miles on it. I just had an alignment done at the dealership about 1,000 miles ago right after I had new Michelin PS2 ZPs installed on the car. Ever since (or so it seems), the brakes have been squealing whenever light to moderate braking is applied. However, this problem does not happen whenever I brake heavily.

I took it to the local BMW dealership (BMW of Corpus Christi) and told them of the problem when I had my oil changed (under the service contract). They told me that they measured the brakes and that the car is not reporting that they need to be changed so the warranty/service agreement didn't apply. They told me that it could be because the brakes are dirty (doubtful). I insisted that there was obviously something wrong because the brakes have never made any such noise before. The car is still under warranty, so are they just brushing me off because they don't want to deal with a warranty issue? Should I just take it to another dealership?

Best regards,
Troy

BMW 328i coupe
Jet Black/Black/Burl Wood
6-speed manual/Premium Package/Sport Package/Heated Seats

Passport BMW

Delivered 27FEB07
Ads by Google
Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroeng View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2007 E92 coupe with about 49,000 miles on it. I just had an alignment done at the dealership about 1,000 miles ago right after I had new Michelin PS2 ZPs installed on the car. Ever since (or so it seems), the brakes have been squealing whenever light to moderate braking is applied. However, this problem does not happen whenever I brake heavily.

I took it to the local BMW dealership (BMW of Corpus Christi) and told them of the problem when I had my oil changed (under the service contract). They told me that they measured the brakes and that the car is not reporting that they need to be changed so the warranty/service agreement didn't apply. They told me that it could be because the brakes are dirty (doubtful). I insisted that there was obviously something wrong because the brakes have never made any such noise before. The car is still under warranty, so are they just brushing me off because they don't want to deal with a warranty issue? Should I just take it to another dealership?

Best regards,
Troy
Is it a real high pitched but clean squeal, or is it a scrapey kind of squeal?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
I have the same issue. Service manager unsympathetic. I'm no squeal expert, but I'd put it in the high pitched, run of the mill brake squeal. There's a non-sweet spot in the brake pedal which causes the squeal. Any softer or any harder you don't hear it. I haven't been hearing it recently since it's cold and I have the windows up. I notice it in the warmer months when I tend to have windows and sunroof open.

I think the service manager said it's dirty brake sensors, and they can clean them, but it will come back. I wonder if the allegedly newly formulated pads for 2010's resolves this issue (less dust)?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Naval Aviator

Mein Auto: 2007 328i Coupe 6MT
I would call it pretty high pitched. Definitely not a grinding metal squeal.

BMW 328i coupe
Jet Black/Black/Burl Wood
6-speed manual/Premium Package/Sport Package/Heated Seats

Passport BMW

Delivered 27FEB07
Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I have the same issue. Service manager unsympathetic. I'm no squeal expert, but I'd put it in the high pitched, run of the mill brake squeal. There's a non-sweet spot in the brake pedal which causes the squeal. Any softer or any harder you don't hear it. I haven't been hearing it recently since it's cold and I have the windows up. I notice it in the warmer months when I tend to have windows and sunroof open.

I think the service manager said it's dirty brake sensors, and they can clean them, but it will come back. I wonder if the allegedly newly formulated pads for 2010's resolves this issue (less dust)?
Dirty brake sensors? OMFG!

I am guessing the squeal is the vibration of the pad in the caliper. One can add a gel-like anti-squeal compound ot the caliper side of the pads to ameliorate this.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 01-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Is it a real high pitched but clean squeal, or is it a scrapey kind of squeal?
Like a pig, or a goat?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Yeah, My sis had it on her 530xi. Take it in and they'll replace the brake pads and sensors. It won't help, but they'll do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Ego writing cheques that

You could try bedding the brake pads again...this will resurface the pads and clean/smooth the rotors.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated335 View Post
You could try bedding the brake pads again...this will resurface the pads and clean/smooth the rotors.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
I think you're wrong, bedding is for new breaks/rotors not for used ones basically you can't re-bed (unless you get new pads and resurface the rotor). Also the bedding procedure is not universal, for example the BMW breaks require soft breaking in the first 200 miles ( per manual) while for example hawk performance breaks require several hard breaks followed by a cool down.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Ego writing cheques that

It worked when I unevenly coated my rotors after I melted my OEM pads at the track. That was on an M3 though, so it might be different, and it took a regime over a week or two to get rid of the shuddering.

I think the anti-squeal gel is the way to go.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328XiT and R1200C
Hard pads will squeal while soft pads wear quickly and leave lots of dust, you have your choice. The only way to eliminate the squeal is to move the frequency higher so that you don't hear it. Shims behind each pad or a high temp silicone sealant usually work.

I think that brake squeal was a common characteristic of German cars in the past so it's not surprising to have this symptom.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Yea, I've the same problem on a 2007 E90 sedan. 20k miles. Kinda annoying but learned to live with it.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 07_328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltrix View Post
Yea, I've the same problem on a 2007 E90 sedan. 20k miles. Kinda annoying but learned to live with it.
Well thank god for forums, I just purchased a 07 328i with 27000 miles and driving home tonight I noticed a squealing coming from the pads. I had the music turn down so I figure I may have never heard'em as I normally have the music cranked up. Sooo is this a common issue with the E90s?? I have a sedan not coupe, I plan on taking it to the dealer tomorrow so any input would be appreciated guys/gals.

Spanks!