Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-30-2010, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Post aluminum vs plastic thermostat housing

Good Evening everyone,
I bought my 528i (03/1996 E39) in the land of the rising sun. It was imported from California and has barely over 52000 miles on it. Today on my drive home I noticed steam? coming off from under my hood. I turned off the car and looked around once it was cooled and saw some leaking from the thermostat housing towards the left side. I'm going to order the parts I need and follow the instructions to redo the sections of the cooling system from this excellent write-up here
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986 .
My questions are:
since that write up is from 2006 is the HEPU water pump still preferred?
If I wanted to go with an aluminum housing for the thermostat are there any good manufacturers or is the plastic OEM still the best?
which manufacturer for the thermostat itself is recommended?
and finally, should I buy the BMW coolant or is there another brand that meets the BMW specs?

This is a lot I understand but your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020006.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	236463  
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keii View Post
Good Evening everyone,
I bought my 528i (03/1996 E39) in the land of the rising sun. It was imported from California and has barely over 52000 miles on it. Today on my drive home I noticed steam? coming off from under my hood. I turned off the car and looked around once it was cooled and saw some leaking from the thermostat housing towards the left side. I'm going to order the parts I need and follow the instructions to redo the sections of the cooling system from this excellent write-up here
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986 .
My questions are:
since that write up is from 2006 is the HEPU water pump still preferred?
If I wanted to go with an aluminum housing for the thermostat are there any good manufacturers or is the plastic OEM still the best?
which manufacturer for the thermostat itself is recommended?
and finally, should I buy the BMW coolant or is there another brand that meets the BMW specs?

This is a lot I understand but your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Not sure what is available to you in japan but I would go with the graf pump, Nothing at all wrong with the hepu but over priced. On the stat housing I would stay oem, The alum ones are a gamble; Some are great others are poorly cast and cause issues.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I wrote that write-up in 2006.

1. I have had HEPU now for four (4) years, rock solid. The Volvo people use HEPU Water Pump alot.

2. The only reason Aluminum tstat housing has issues is the imperfect surface (not straight smooth). If you decide to use Aluminum tstat housing, then get a very flat surface (such as a piece of glass etc.), then use a piece of fine sand paper to sand it so the surface is true straight. Otherwise it will leak.

Not sure? Bring it to a machine shop and ask them to smooth the mating surface for you.

3. Thermostat: I have had Behr 88C tstat now for 4 years, no issues. Fuel mileage still at 33 mpg on highway.

4. Coolant. I have always used Prestone Green in my BMWs for 20 years, no issues.

PS: You are lucky to own a 1997 528i. 1997 and 1998 are the best years. Also the low mileage helps.
BTW, I wrote a whole bunch of DIYs in this forums, when you have time, you can browse through them.

Last edited by cn90; 06-30-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 AM

WOw from the Man Himself. I'm deeply in your debt. I will have to order everything from the states, so I'm stuck riding the train for a while until everything gets here, but that's not a big deal that just means I can drink a few on my way home. Thanks for your quick response.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 AM

Keii,
Just curious, Do you have online vendors selling Euro parts in Japan?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM

I'm not really sure, I don't read Japanese so my wife looks for everything, and it's actually cheaper for me to buy parts from the US and get them shipped here. everything is expensive in Japan and the dollar to Yen rate doesn't help.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 AM

Update: the local e-bay style site is called rakuten.co.jp they apparently have everything there, however just like e-bay it's buyer beware...
Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the coolant part of the question, see this thread specifically answering that (although for the USA, not Japan)...

As for the water pump brand, there are about a dozen that are sold for the BMW E39 so I agree it's confusing to choose one.

I think you (and I) have two fundamental options:
a) water pump, paper gasket, & rubber o-ring with composite impeller (OE & OEM & OES & OES Replacement)
b) water pump, paper gasket, & rubber o-ring with metal impellers (Aftermarket)

Since I have a cooling-system overhaul in my near future, I researched, & found a confusing dozen E39 suppliers:
1. Hepu (Cam likes 'em ... what more do we need to say ... )
2. Geba (heavy cast metal impeller, bearings sometimes fail)
3. Graf welded steel impeller (better but also occasional bearing failure)
4. Stewart EMP (some say they beef up the bearings to handle the metal)
5. GMB (I think this is OE with composite plastic impellers???)
6. Hella (I think this is OEM with composite plastic impellers)
7. Bosch (I don't know of any users who reported back on these)
8. Beck Arnley (they sell 'em but I don't know anyone using them)
9. Airtex (again, they sell 'em, but we'd have to hear from users first)
10. AC Delco (same as the last two above, they sell 'em)
11. A1 Cardone (they sell 'em, don't know much about 'em)
12. ??? please correct this list as needed so we all benefit ???

On the topic of the housing for the thermostat, I echo the sentiment that I've read the aluminum sometimes leaks due to a poor casting; yet, on the other side, the plastic is weak after 80K miles ... so ... it seems to be a tossup as to which way to go.

Do we have any KNOWN good brands for the aluminum thermostat housings?
(Note: I opened a separate water-pump supplier pro/con question over here.)

Last edited by bluebee; 06-30-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 AM

bluebee,
Aluminum tstat housing only applies to 1997-98 years because of the mechanical thermostat.
1999-2003 uses a combo of tstat and housing (plastic) as a unit.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
bluebee,
Aluminum tstat housing only applies to 1997-98 years because of the mechanical thermostat.
Hey CN what do you think of this one from Zionsville that converts the TStat back to mechanical?

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...de/M54CTPK.htm

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 06-30-2010, 09:03 AM

Dear Mack,

I don't know much about that Zionsville thingy.

I just spoke to my cousing BMW guru:
* 1997-98 (M52) has aluminum head + iron engine block
* 1999-2003 (M54) has aluminum head + aluminum engine block

So any overheat has severe consequence on the M54 more than on the M52. In other words:
- Overheat in M52: rebuild cylinder head, keep the engine block.
- Overheat in M54: new (used) engine is the answer!!!

So to digress a bit, for those newbies coming to the forum and keep asking "do I need to change my reservoir, radiator etc. etc.", heed the warning. Do a cooling overhaul if you have more than 80-90K. It is way cheaper than a new engine.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
I am toying with different scenarios right now:
Go Evans NPG+, new WP (maybe Stewart). Leave everything else in place
or
Get the Zions rad for 650 (or how much it costs), get the T-stat you mentioned (Mack) combined with the Stewart WP. New pulleys and exp tank, new fan & clutch. Hoses.

The first scenario still has that scary T-stat, but the failure mode (at least what I experienced and what I read about it) is usually "stuck open" and NOT "stuck closed" - which would be scary. I believe "stuck open" will still run your antifreeze as opposed to "stuck close", where the antifreeze cannot leave the engine block anymore and overheats.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Oh my! I did not realize that.

So, for me (2002 I6), it looks like the only choice is the plastic (or the Zionsville electrical-to-mechanical-and-plastic-to-aluminum switcheroo).

Thanks for clarifying that (because it eliminates one decision point) ...

For me, the hardest part of a DIY job is making all the decisions!

Last edited by bluebee; 06-30-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Quote:
Dear Mack,

I don't know much about that Zionsville thingy.

I just spoke to my cousing BMW guru:
* 1997-98 (M52) has aluminum head + iron engine block
* 1999-2003 (M54) has aluminum head + aluminum engine block

So any overheat has severe consequence on the M54 more than on the M52. In other words:
- Overheat in M52: rebuild cylinder head, keep the engine block.
- Overheat in M54: new (used) engine is the answer!!!

So to digress a bit, for those newbies coming to the forum and keep asking "do I need to change my reservoir, radiator etc. etc.", heed the warning. Do a cooling overhaul if you have more than 80-90K. It is way cheaper than a new engine.
If we are talking about e39 528i engines, is the M54 the same as the M52TU? In another thread I recently asked the forum how to tell the difference between the M52 and M52TU. Edjack informed me the M52TU has the aluminum block and double vanos, but then Goose5691 followed up saying that all e39 engines have aluminum blocks. Confusing....
Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 AM

Unhappy woah!

hey everyone... finally after two weeks of cold drinks on the train, I got all my parts in the mail, into the car... and I've run into a snag. I must have missed something somewhere because I can't get the whole 5.5qt's of antifreeze, let alone any of the water. I serviced it from the thermostat housing but it overflowed on me before there was even 3 in there... Anything I might have overlooked? was the engine supposed to be on? I've got the car on an incline but I'm really lost... I may just have to take it to the local shop and have them do it.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i sport
It's probable that only ~3 qts of antifreeze drained out when you were taking things apart. I would fill it up using as much as it will take, make sure it's not leaking, let the car idle for a few minutes then using the bleed screws, make sure there aren't any air bubbles in the lines. Keep an eye on the water temp while it's running.

Also a tip on adding coolant: I add 1 qt water, 1 qt antifreeze, 1 qt water, 1 qt antifreeze.... instead of 1 gallon antifreeze 1 gallon water. This way, not knowing how much it'll take, I'm never in a situation where I have too much of one ingredient and not enough of the other. I've even used pints when I think I'm getting close to filled. I live in Texas so no chance in freezing here but when I lived 30 miles from the Canadian border, I did own a antifreeze checker with the floating balls.

Last edited by dinty44; 07-19-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keii View Post
hey everyone... finally after two weeks of cold drinks on the train, I got all my parts in the mail, into the car... and I've run into a snag. I must have missed something somewhere because I can't get the whole 5.5qt's of antifreeze, let alone any of the water. I serviced it from the thermostat housing but it overflowed on me before there was even 3 in there... Anything I might have overlooked? was the engine supposed to be on? I've got the car on an incline but I'm really lost... I may just have to take it to the local shop and have them do it.
Just make sure:

1. The reservoir if at FULL.

2. The bleeder screw on the thermostat housing is loosen a bit to allow air to escape, the gently close it.

Then start the engine and go through the bleeding process (set HVAC at Max Heat).
The closely monitor the temp gauge during the bleeding process.