Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 5
is this the person we are writing about?: from Vikipedia:

Early life
Spira was born and grew up in New York City, the son of photographic pioneer Fred Spira and his wife Marilyn (ne Hacker). He studied Central European History at the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Munich (Ludwig-Maximilians Universitt)

[edit] Career
Spira began his career in business and technology while still in high school when he became involved in the management of office systems at Spiratone, a company founded and run by Fred Spira. After completing his studies in 1983, he founded a research and IT advisory firm, Basex (originally called The Basex Group) in 1983, that focused on helping organizations understand how knowledge workers work and what they can do to manage them more effectively. He has been associated with the firm ever since.

[edit] Research
Spira's research focuses on the problems organizations are having as they migrate from the industrial age to the knowledge economy and what managers can do to remain competitive. According to Knowledge Management in the Public Sector [1], the main thrust of Spira's arguments is that software companies should develop new systems that are designed from the beginning for knowledge and information work but collaboration and knowledge sharing are "less a question of technology than of systems that facilitate people working together."

Spira started researching the problem of information overload in the early 1990s and was interviewed in March 1993 by CNBC on the topic. In 2003, he published research that assigned specific costs to components of the problem of information overload and in 2008 published an estimate [2] of the cost of information overload to the U.S. economy ($900 billion per annum). In 2008, he helped found the Information Overload Research Group, a business and academic consortium that is working to bring attention to the problem and potential solutions.

[edit] Books and Publications
Spira is the co-author of The History of Photography (Aperture, 2001), named a "best book of the year" by the New York Times [3] when it came out. He is the author of Managing the Knowledge Workforce: Understanding the Information Revolution That's Changing the Business World (Mercury Business Press, 2005). He is currently working on another book on the topic of information overload. He has also written several major reports on information overload including Information Overload: We Have Met the Enemy and He Is Us. He is regularly quoted by publications including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, Business Week, among others.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 AM

Mein Auto: E46 328i
W H O cares?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: MB SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesound View Post
W H O cares?
"...the main thrust of Spira's arguments is that software companies should develop new systems that are designed from the beginning for knowledge and information work but collaboration and knowledge sharing are "less a question of technology than of systems that facilitate people working together."

And this guy is against sharing of knowledge and information on enthusiast forums that he frequents? You have got to be kidding me.....
Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Who cares about his resume? My resume and that of many others that post here are more impressive. However that is not what is important here. This message board is about sharing information and insights about the new F10. I wonder if he contacted Bimmerfest mods to complain about their new Confidential Wholesale Pricing that they put a few days after my post was taken down at Bimmer Post?

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 05-10-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I see this is a duplicate of the other thread that I posted in. You should be able to take 7% off the wholesale US pricing here -

2011 535i Sedan -> http://www.bimmerfest.com/models/201...324419/pricing

2011 550i Sedan -> http://www.bimmerfest.com/models/201...324421/pricing

Tim
What happened to the pricing and model details under the 'BMW Models' tab?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Sorry, we had to take the pricing off line for legal reasons
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Love the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Convertible
www.edmunds.com

Current Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible
Silverstone/Fox Red. DCT, ZCV, ZCW, ZP2, EDC, 19", Premium Sound and Satellite Radio

Coming Soon:
2000 E38 740iL

Recent Former BMWs:
2008 E60 535xi (via European Delivery)
ED Trip Report Link
E46 M3 6-Speed
2004 E53 X5

BMWCCA Member since 2002
Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 06 750i
Expert opinions?

Do the ED experts, either Adrian or Irv have an opinion of publishing ED wholesale numbers on Bimmerfest?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Sorry, we had to take the pricing off line for legal reasons
Thanks Tim; BMW Models was also an excellent resource for past models prices.

Oh well, any savvy BMW buyer can use the 7% rule to get a ballpark pricing for US and ED cars.