Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
uhh, ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagular View Post
Agreed, good choice. Audi has come on strong recently and I really like its offerings.

I'm probably two years away from trading the 645 and so far (knock, knock) nothing major. We're a two Bimmer family, currently, but given BMW's lack of dependability and long-term cost, I doubt seriously that I'll stay with the brand.
Sorry your experience has been "lack of dependability". I drove the $hit out of several BMW's over the years and had little or no problems. As far as "bulletproof" the only cars I know of that come close are the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
So sorry to lose you Solution Six but you have made a damn good desision on the trade. Best of luck with the new ride and enjoy it. Audi has come a long way and is doing their thing. Beautiful cars.
-Paul

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedesigns View Post
Sorry your experience has been "lack of dependability". I drove the $hit out of several BMW's over the years and had little or no problems. As far as "bulletproof" the only cars I know of that come close are the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry.
I think it was this specific car, not so much the brand that drove me away. I think the water problems I had definitely had something to do with it as well -- which made me very paranoid about keeping the car.

I don't think any car with as much technology as the 6 series (or the S5 for that matter) can be without gremlins, and I definitely don't have a problem with a few. It had gotten to the point though with my 6 where I'd be leaving the dealer from getting 1 problem fixed and 2 more came up.

I never once was able to roll my windows up without tapping the switch over and over due to the false "anti-trap" alarms popping up. The dealer tried to fix it 3 times but to no avail... I'm sure eventually it would have been fixed but wow, that was eating at me -- I'm a "windows down" person.

Either way, I'd have no qualms about buying another 6 series in the future even with this experience under my belt... each car has its own history and issues. It was an excellent driving car, and... even though on paper the S5 is supposed to be quicker, I still question it after driving both.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 bmw 645ci
Beautiful new car! and an excellent choice no doubt. Love those headlights....
Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Greg

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci convertible
I looked at the A5 before I bought my 6. Not really a fan of the quattro system and decided a 6 convertible was the way to go. But it is an awesome car. Congrats.

Last edited by WGMc; 07-23-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650i
When I bought my 6er, I took a very long hard look at the S5. It was a very very difficult, vascillating and agonizing choice between these two. I'd been pining for the S5 ever since I test drove it in late 07 when the car first landed, but Audi's limited supply, and waiting list games really made it difficult to get into the car. It was a last minute test drive of the 6er (the car was literally nowhere on my radar even the day before I was about to sign for the S5) that complicated the decision. In the end, the 6er driving experience won me over, but that S5 design still tugs at my heart strings whenever I see it.

The S5 is a very good car. Congrats.

Space Gray : Black Pearl w/Nasca Leather Dash : Dark Birch : Steptronic w/Paddles : Sport Pack
Comfort Access : Cold Weather : Lane Departure : HUD : HD Radio : SAT : Premium Sound