Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i, Metallic Black
Buying my car back at lease end CPO Expectations

Any help is appreciated. My lease expires this weekend and I am buying back my 2008 528i because the price is right and this car has given me zero problems. I will likely be giving it to my wife in a year or two when it's time to buy again, so it's nice to have a reliable car.

When I dropped off my car at 10am Thursday morning they said they'd take it for their lease-end and CPO inspections and then I could pick it up, probably on Monday. They called me at 2pm on the same day (4 hours later) to let me know they are finished with my car already. My question is, since I'm buying it back as a CPO car, shouldn't the car be in "re-sale" condition. Shouldn't they detail the car and get rid of any carpet stains, scrathces, replace fluids, etc???

I can't find this information on the website so any advice is appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by norlanski View Post
Any help is appreciated. My lease expires this weekend and I am buying back my 2008 528i because the price is right and this car has given me zero problems. I will likely be giving it to my wife in a year or two when it's time to buy again, so it's nice to have a reliable car.

When I dropped off my car at 10am Thursday morning they said they'd take it for their lease-end and CPO inspections and then I could pick it up, probably on Monday. They called me at 2pm on the same day (4 hours later) to let me know they are finished with my car already. My question is, since I'm buying it back as a CPO car, shouldn't the car be in "re-sale" condition. Shouldn't they detail the car and get rid of any carpet stains, scrathces, replace fluids, etc???

You think they would...but you can see the checklist here http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ification.aspx

and there's nothing about detail, etc.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport
Quote:
Off topic, but your wife gets the hand-me-down car? That would never happen in my household!! lol.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
Quote:

Were you able to negotiate a better price than your residual? My dad's 2008 528i is due off lease soon. He loves the car and would like to buy it, but would like to do better on the purchase price.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 06 XC90x2(me) , 07 530xiT
if you trying to go with the bare basic price of cpo, and I believe detalining is not on the checklist, then if they do it, they will charge it to you.
so might as well do it yourself
same goes for minor scratches etc
Old 07-25-2010, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: '08 535i sport
I also believe it depends on the dealer as well. So it might be true that detailing the car is not on the CPO checklist but my car which is a CPO was definitely professionally detailed when I picked it up. So it might not be part of the CPO process but I do believe any reputable dealership should be detailing their cars before selling them.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Not Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Ben View Post
Off topic, but your wife gets the hand-me-down car? That would never happen in my household!! lol.
My wife and I rotate a new car every few years and she currently has a Mercedes SLK Roadster which she's driven pretty hard. We are having our first kid too and since she'll be doing most of the driving around we're looking for something a bit more reliable to tote our little girl around!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFAN275 View Post
Were you able to negotiate a better price than your residual? My dad's 2008 528i is due off lease soon. He loves the car and would like to buy it, but would like to do better on the purchase price.
We were able to get about $1k off residual, which I thought was pretty decent considering that I live in a town in Northern California where they can't keep 5 Series in the dealership. I bargained pretty hard, but they were pretty firm. I also got a good deal on the lease though, so that may have come into play.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
Quote:
We were able to get about $1k off residual, which I thought was pretty decent considering that I live in a town in Northern California where they can't keep 5 Series in the dealership. I bargained pretty hard, but they were pretty firm. I also got a good deal on the lease though, so that may have come into play.
THanks for the info. Sounds ok with the CPO thown in. I think its the right move for him to buy the car.