Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Goodchip

Mein Auto: 2011 535i, Space Grey
Fuel Consumption Settings

In my 08 528i, the fuel consumption settings included MPG in both US and Imperial gallons.
My brand new 2011 535i has only one MPG setting, and it's US gallons. Slighty annoying. Although Canada has been "metric" for over 30 years, I don't know anyone who talks "l/100km".
It's still Miles per Gallon, and in Canada, the old standard is still the Imperial gallon.
Ads by Google
Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Having only driven in Canada once in the last 40 years (last year) I only recall seeing gas being sold by the litre there.If that's the case it seems that not recognizing imperial gallons on a car sold in North America is understandable.

Fuelly
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 CLS 550 4Matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Having only driven in Canada once in the last 40 years (last year) I only recall seeing gas being sold by the litre there.If that's the case it seems that not recognizing imperial gallons on a car sold in North America is understandable.
You are absolutely right. We are a metric country as is most of the world. They still show both measures on car window stickers for the people who are in their seventies. Schools only teach the metric system and it is the official measuring system in the country.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Goodchip

Mein Auto: 2011 535i, Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
You are absolutely right. We are a metric country as is most of the world. They still show both measures on car window stickers for the people who are in their seventies. Schools only teach the metric system and it is the official measuring system in the country.
HEY!. I'm only in my fifties!
We went metric in 1977. But in spite of what the schools say, everybody I know including my 20 something kids, still says their height in feet and inches, their weight in pounds, Builds stuff out of two by fours and 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, plays golf and football in yards, farms in acres, and last I checked a hockey rink was 200 feet long! Oh, and mileage in MPG.

I guess my point being, that while BMW is technically (and politically) correct, I'll bet 90% of buyers will wish it had MPG Imperial.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
l/100km is the logical and right choice. Even I use that. Metric is the proper way to measure everything. Embarrassingly, I still can't really understand pints or quarts.

I don't know about the settings on a 2008 5er with iDrive, but I know that Imperial gallons are possible on my X3 and my mom's 2006 3er without iDrive.