Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Convertible Top Driving me BONKERS

After a good day of rain yesterday, I tried to put my top down (2000 323Cic) and it was doing its magic splendidly when just after the top folded into the top compartment, the whole thing froze. The top compartment lid stayed open, with the red light flashing next to the open/close roof buttons, and nothing happened. I let go of the button, it kept flashing red, but nothing was happening. Tried the close button--nothing. Turned the car off, back on, nothing. What ended up happening in the end is the top compartment lid just came down, but never locked.

I checked the trunk lid--it was closed. I opened and closed it again. Today, however, the trunk lid remote doesn't work. The only way I can open the trunk lid is via the key hole in it. Also, I can't manually close the top--I can get it up all the way but when I try to turn the Allen wrench in the roof key hole to lock the roof to the windshield frame, nothing happens. I hear some moving and clicking but then it gets really hard to turn the wrench and still nothing happens.

Can anyone with a vert offer some feedback?
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Took the car to my local trusted Indy shop...turned out to be a pinched and broken set of wires somewhere in the right side of the roof. Took them 10 (10!!) hours to find it after assembling the roof and back seat/trunk area. At least they said the won't charge me for full 10 hours. Convertible tops...love them when they work, hate them when they break.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 330CI
Maybe we need some more tech info for the convertible tops on the wiki. Fortunately, I have not had any problems with mine (2004 330CIC) but I am sure that one day..................! So any convertible top tech tips/diy welcome!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci convertible
330cic Convertible Top

And I hope you never do have a problem!! I have a 2004 330cic and have just developed a problem. Hydraulic oil is leaking from either the piston or tubing (haven't determined yet) behind the headliner on the drivers side. Oil reservoir is now only half full and top does not finish its cycle before it runs out of oil and stops. Hopefully it won't cost me too much to fix. I expect to do everything myself and just buy parts. I think the most difficult part will be removing the binding that holds the headliner in place and being able to re-install it correctly.

Yahty
Old 07-02-2010, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330 CIC ZSP/PP/CW/Nav
Wiring harness is often the problem and seems to be pretty well known. I had to get mine replaced when I was having problems along the same line a year or so. There is a lot more on this over at e46fanatics. I'm starting to wonder if mine are going south again because I've had blinking light problems (roof closes fine, no light, later light starts blinking) that alway make me think the top is going to get stuck so if I'm in an out of the way place I don't try to put the top up/down. Not liking that.

I do wish we had a vert section here.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
Some kind of preventative maint for convertible tops would be great. Besides the exterior (Raggtopp, etc) there is certainly must be a best practice for keeping the parts lubed and happy.

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"
Old 07-03-2010, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: '02 330 CIC ZSP/PP/CW/Nav
This link over to the M3 forum should help http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=121097 I also have a pdf I can send you I got from someone on another board if you PM me your email address. One on vert adjustments and one on vert window creaks.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: E46 325i
I must say that the E46 is the most friendly among the rest of the roofless kids. The e93 by far and away is the worst. The e46 develops this fault within the hardtop switch. This is a switch that determines whether there has been a hardtop installed or is it business as usual. Another fault I have comes accross in the e46c cars is the pump but this is normal I mean I have had lots of e64s with an out to lunch pump. But one thing I can assure you guys, 'yahty' in particular, the pump must be filled to the point specified not more and not less. If it is a lot less, you will have an overheating system too early too soon.

And another very very famous fault are the relays! They go out everytime it's Saturday.

Another car I once came accross was simply a blown fuse which as I recall was one of those manly 50 ones in the box and some mech. had told the guy he'd need a new pump. But all in all the e46 circuit (mechanical/electrical) is very very comprehensible and very mechanic friendly so love your cars even more!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 PM

I'm not sure I agree with Techguy. The problem with my 2004 330 CiC is a hydraulic leak. It seems to be in the hose/tubing that runs in the channel of the top frame over the drivers window. I had oil leaking out on the ground in front of the left rear tire, and you can smell it in the car. I can feel oil on the lines coming out of the channel at the back of the top mechanism, but actually getting to and exposing the hydraulic lines and front cylinder means taking the roof and/or headliner off of the frame. Not sure this is something I can handle. Has anyone ever attempted this on their own? For now, the top is going to stay up for a while. I haven't gotten any estimates yet, but I'm guessing $2000 to have it fixed. I love the car, but between the dysfunctional top and the goo spitting rear view mirror, I am not a happy camper right now.

Yahty
Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330Cic
My top hydraulic leaks too, more toward the rear area on the driver side. I have fluid leaking out from the under-carriage just in front of the left rear tire.

Now, I just manually open/close the top without using the hydraulic system, only initiating the electronic locks.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 AM

I know that you can operate the top manually, But do you drive around with the rear seat out? Don't you have to remove the rear seat to access the manual hatch lock release? I guess thats not a big deal. Not much room in the rear for anyone but kids, and mine is grown. But I guess I wanted to be sure that you need to manually release this mechanism before you can lift the hatch cover, yes? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330Cic
You don't need to do that.

To open the roof, just press the button on the dash like normal but let go once the lock is released at the windshield. Then get out and push up the front part of the top and then lift the rear window. Now you need someone to press the button again to open the compartment cover. I can use my remote to open the cover by myself (my remote is programmed to open the top without putting the key in the car). Then you can push the whole top slowly into the compartment. Last step is to press the button again (again I use my remote) to lock the compartment cover.

To close the roof, press the button to unlock the compartment cover and it will open up itself by an electric motor. Get out and lift the top out of the compartment and close it manually all the way until the last few inches. Then, press the button to lock the roof with the windshield.

It sounds a lot but after a few times it works well enough so I don't even bother to fix the auto top.

Last edited by jzwu; 08-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 PM

I'll give it a try. Thanks.